Strelka 2.0B + sources

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Gabinoz

Re: Strelka 2.0B + sources

Post by Gabinoz »

From my rating list:

Rybka 2.3.2a 2899
Deep Shredder 11 UCI 2836
Hiarcs 11.1 2829
Strelka 2.0B 2822
Ktulu 9 2800
Fritz 11 2789
Belka 1.8.14 2769
Belka 1.8.11 2768
Belka 1.8.7 2765
Toga II 1.4.7SE 2764
Belka 2.0.0 2763
Belka 1.8.9 2762
Shredder 11 UCI 2758
Toga II 1.3.1 2744
Rybka WinFinder 2.2 2731
Rybka 1.0 Beta 2722
Strelka 1.8 2719

Gabino
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Tony wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:

If you translate ideas of evaluation to different structure then I do not consider it as cloning.

Uri
That's the point, I guess. I do. There is just too many different ways to do exactly the same.

Mind you, I'm not talking about "almost doing the same".

If one person loops from 0 to 10 and the other from 10 to 0, it can still be exactly the same. ( Though not literally the same)

I guess for me it's about the design decisions that are taken, not about the implementation.

Exactly the same decisions with a different implementation, would still be a clone for me. ( So yes, I consider reverse enginering, cloning and therefore stealing )

For me, this is common sense, regardless of what laws are saying.

Tony
Under this definition, all programs are clones. Of course, in every chess program there are original ideas. But I guess that only one programmer invented alpha beta and only one programmer invented null move and only one programmer invented transposition tables and only one programmer invented move ordering and yet every chess program uses these ideas.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Dann Corbit wrote:
Tony wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:

If you translate ideas of evaluation to different structure then I do not consider it as cloning.

Uri
That's the point, I guess. I do. There is just too many different ways to do exactly the same.

If one person loops from 0 to 10 and the other from 10 to 0, it can still be exactly the same. ( Though not literally the same)

I guess for me it's about the design decisions that are taken, not about the implementation.

Exactly the same decisions with a different implementation, would still be a clone for me. ( So yes, I consider reverse enginering, cloning and therefore stealing )

Tony
Under this definition, all programs are clones. Of course, in every chess program there are original ideas. But I guess that only one programmer invented alpha beta and only one programmer invented null move and only one programmer invented transposition tables and only one programmer invented move ordering and yet every chess program uses these ideas.

I don't understand why you write such obvious nonsense.

There are a lot of ways to make alpha beta and nullmove behave different. I'm talking about programs that make them behave exactly the same.

Strelka makes a lot of effort to do exactly the same as Fruit in adifferent way.

The "author" explained what he did, (already couple of months ago). He said he stole the code, Vas said he did, and yet somehow YOU disagree.

We have had this discussion already a while ago, and I let it rest. Now everybody can see it:

I was right, you were wrong.

Tony
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Tony wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
Tony wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:

Uri

Tony

I don't understand why you write such obvious nonsense.

There are a lot of ways to make alpha beta and nullmove behave different. I'm talking about programs that make them behave exactly the same.

Strelka makes a lot of effort to do exactly the same as Fruit in adifferent way.

The "author" explained what he did, (already couple of months ago). He said he stole the code, Vas said he did, and yet somehow YOU disagree.

We have had this discussion already a while ago, and I let it rest. Now everybody can see it:

I was right, you were wrong.

Tony
Vas said he stole rybka's code and he did not say he stole fruit's code.

Uri
J. Prata

Post by J. Prata »

Oh, back.
Long time...
Gabinoz wrote:From my rating list:

Strelka 2.0B 2822
Ktulu 9 2800
Fritz 11 2789
Belka 1.8.14 2769

Gabino

Ktulu 9?!
Gabinoz

Post by Gabinoz »

Sorry, is Ktulu 8.

Gabino
Erik Roggenburg

Post by Erik Roggenburg »

I'd be interested to know which ideas from Fruit were incorporated into Rybka - if any.

Also, has anyone else noticed that Fritz 11 "sees" things much like Rybka? Maybe I'm just imagining things. :?:
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Gabinoz wrote:Sorry, is Ktulu 8.

Gabino
Not logical
Ktulu8 has not rating that is so high
It is probably ktulu9 and not ktulu8

Here is again the rating that was posted:
Ktulu8 is clearly last place in this field of programs.

Rybka 2.3.2a 2899
Deep Shredder 11 UCI 2836
Hiarcs 11.1 2829
Strelka 2.0B 2822
Ktulu 9 2800
Fritz 11 2789
Belka 1.8.14 2769
Belka 1.8.11 2768
Belka 1.8.7 2765
Toga II 1.4.7SE 2764
Belka 2.0.0 2763
Belka 1.8.9 2762
Shredder 11 UCI 2758
Toga II 1.3.1 2744
Rybka WinFinder 2.2 2731
Rybka 1.0 Beta 2722
Strelka 1.8 2719
GenoM

Post by GenoM »

Erik Roggenburg wrote:I'd be interested to know which ideas from Fruit were incorporated into Rybka - if any.

Also, has anyone else noticed that Fritz 11 "sees" things much like Rybka? Maybe I'm just imagining things. :?:
It's noticed by many people, not only by you :)
http://kasparovchess.crestbook.com/view ... hp?id=2268
take it easy :)
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

WinPooh wrote:Or just open files in Internet Explorer, which can change encoding for sure.
Opening by internet explorer can change the encoding but I do not know how to change it to russian.

Uri