Bobby Fischer (March 9, 1943 - January 17, 2008)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Michael Neish

Re: Bobby Fischer (March 9, 1943 - January 17, 2008)

Post by Michael Neish »

As others, I was very saddened to hear of Fischer's passing. I hope he has found peace at last from all his lifelong demons.

I hope this post doesn't go down badly, but Fischer is thought to have died of kidney failure, right? Isn't this treatable by dialysis? So was it more than just kidney failure, or what? Does anyone have any idea?

Regards,

Mike.
slobo

Re: Bobby Fischer (March 9, 1943 - January 17, 2008)

Post by slobo »

ozziejoe wrote:It is possible I am not well informed, and I am of course willing to correct my views. I want fischer to be heroic too. His chess was amazing. And I feel a sadness for his situation later in life. I feel compasion, but I do nto think he is a hero or an example of how other young chess players should live and act.

So, I ask, did he say the below things (maybe it is just media misrepresentation?). Maybe these statements are taken out of context, and their is a deeper, more meanginful position underlying them. i really want to hear people's views. I admit i could be misinformed

"America is totally under control of the Jews, you know. I mean, look what they're doing in Yugoslavia."

"That statement is accurate, but Lisa Lane really wouldn't be in a position to know. They're all weak, all women. They're stupid compared to men. They shouldn't play chess, you know. They're like beginners. They lose every single game against a man. There isn't a woman player in the world I can't give knight-odds to and still beat."

in response to 9-11, he says

"This is all wonderful news,' he announced. 'I applaud the act. The US and Israel have been slaughtering the Palestinians, just slaughtering them for years. Robbing them and slaughtering them. Nobody gave a shit. Now it's coming back to the US. Fuck the US. I want to see the US wiped out.'
This is not the right place to discuss such questions. I´ll have time to give you some answers after the 24/01/2008, on CTF.
OK?
"Well, I´m just a soul whose intentions are good,
Oh Lord, please don´t let me be misunderstood."
Gabinoz

A wonderful picture

Post by Gabinoz »