Bobby Fischer (March 9, 1943 - January 17, 2008)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

shiv

Re: Bobby Fischer (March 9, 1943 - January 17, 2008)

Post by shiv »

A sad loss to the chess world.

I think Fischer's mental illness stems from the fact that though he specialized in chess, he was not really interested in anything else. In many ways, his tirades on anti-semitism etc remind me of a childish outlook on life. Is it possible that a grown intelligent person believes in that crap? I know he is not well educated but still this is quite surprising coming from him.

I feel that he only lived his life till 1972. After becoming world champion, he did not have clear goals and did not develop his non chess skills. Shows the danger of having a one track mind.

Really sad that this happened to arguably the greatest chess player of all time.
GothicChessInventor

Post by GothicChessInventor »

Goodbye Robert. Thanks for the games.
ChessAddict

Post by ChessAddict »

Who knows how great of player he could have become if he didn't have such a problem with his government. He was a great chess player and definitely made an impact on the chess community. We in the chess world will miss him and his astounding play very much. I give me regards to Fischer and his family.
Karmazen & Oliver

Post by Karmazen & Oliver »

capa wrote:I pray that his death is properly investigated.
I say that:

Robert Fischer was how "~the Nikola TESLA" in profesional CHess.

FISCHER FOREVER ¡

from Spain ¡

(but ? only 64 ? why ?¡ he is young ¡ on his age Em LASKER play a fantastic tourment versus ELITE ¡=)
Erik Roggenburg

Post by Erik Roggenburg »

shiv wrote:A sad loss to the chess world.

I think Fischer's mental illness stems from the fact that though he specialized in chess, he was not really interested in anything else. In many ways, his tirades on anti-semitism etc remind me of a childish outlook on life. Is it possible that a grown intelligent person believes in that crap? I know he is not well educated but still this is quite surprising coming from him.

I feel that he only lived his life till 1972. After becoming world champion, he did not have clear goals and did not develop his non chess skills. Shows the danger of having a one track mind.

Really sad that this happened to arguably the greatest chess player of all time.
Geniuses always seem to teeter on the edge of insanity.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Karmazen & Oliver wrote:
capa wrote:I pray that his death is properly investigated.
I say that:

Robert Fischer was how "~the Nikola TESLA" in profesional CHess.

FISCHER FOREVER ¡

from Spain ¡

(but ? only 64 ? why ?¡ he is young ¡ on his age Em LASKER play a fantastic tourment versus ELITE ¡=)
Why do you entertain what a troll wrote in the Hiarcs Forum?
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

He mentions that he only player the randon chess he made famous (FRC) in his later years.

Were any of these games ever made public.

Fischer turned many a young person on to chess. Wonder if we will ever see that happen again
“He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious”
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

Having been in the Psych. business (worked 16+ years on an acute admissions suite in california for the Mentally Disabled) it is clear to me that he was schizoid. His tirades and grandiose/paranoid behavior is classic symptomalogy. It is a pity that in this age of "Political Correctness" the media highlitghted his anti-semtic rants. I am definitely NOT anti semitic. However in my estamation his rants were due to his illness and definitly NOT reasoned well thought out philosophies of a sane mind. Where is the mercy for the mentally ill? Does politics dictate all "correct" behavior? :roll: His acievement was absolutely remarkable. I would like to hear Larry Evans speak on this matter.......Alex
Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

I have always admired Bobby for his chess ever since I watched him play Boris Spasky. He was and will be going down in history as one of the worlds greatest.

What I find funny now is that over the years if any one on this forum mentioned his name they were quckly damned for bring him up.
The fact that he had a mental problem was never taken into as a possiblity
and he was damned for what they thought was his outright hatred of Jews. No one ever postulated that he might have some other problems.
Bill
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Bill Rogers wrote:I have always admired Bobby for his chess ever since I watched him play Boris Spasky. He was and will be going down in history as one of the worlds greatest.

What I find funny now is that over the years if any one on this forum mentioned his name they were quckly damned for bring him up.
The fact that he had a mental problem was never taken into as a possiblity
and he was damned for what they thought was his outright hatred of Jews. No one ever postulated that he might have some other problems.
Bill
I did, but few cared. Of course I'm not the most popular person around either.