Tournament Practice: Similarity Limits (Basic Discussion)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Re: Tournament Practice: Similarity Limits (Basic Discussion

Post by Graham Banks »

Tony wrote:
Mike S. wrote:
Tony wrote: People actually showing up at tournements have a pretty common opinion.
That is not surprising if people with a different opinion are excluded from showing up.
Ah excellent !!!

The programmers that support clones to participate you mentioned are the cloners themselves .

Brilliant.

Maybe you know some thieves that think stealing should be allowed ?

Tony
Just out of interest Tony (and sorry for changing the topic), but what is the name of your chess engine?

Regards, Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
swami

Post by swami »

Graham Banks wrote: Just out of interest Tony (and sorry for changing the topic), but what is the name of your chess engine?

Regards, Graham.
his engine? xinix.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

swami wrote:
Graham Banks wrote: Just out of interest Tony (and sorry for changing the topic), but what is the name of your chess engine?

Regards, Graham.
his engine? xinix.
Thanks Swami. It must be private?

Regards, Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

correct

xinix is private.

Uri
jdart

Post by jdart »

I have maybe a more liberal view on this than many do.

For open source programs, I don't really understand very much how someone can distribute a program as open source and then be upset if a derivative shows up that uses some of its concepts, ideas, or (if allowed by the license) even code. To me, the relevant question to ask about such a derived program is, is it violating a copyright or license? If not, then it's a reasonable use of publicly available source code. In fact, I am surprised that we've not had more such derivatives, given that a number of very strong programs are available now under GPL.

However, Strelka, which is apparently derived from a closed source program, is not ok in my book. It's a different case because the original author did not intend to make his work public.