compilations by Bryan Hofmann

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

compilations by Bryan Hofmann

Post by AdminX »

Anyone know where I can find Toga II compilations by Bryan Hofmann including a 64 Bit compilation. Does Bryan have a new domain?

Thanks
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Re: compilations by Bryan Hofmann

Post by Denis P. Mendoza »

Hello Ted,

I already asked about the whereabouts of Bryan Hoffman before, but got no answers. His site is down, with no new domain. The only BH I found on the net was developing a MAME game simulator. I don't know if he is the guy involved there.

Anyway, note the version you want as I still have his archives :wink: on my back-up CD. How could I miss this :D ?

My HD still has this 2 last Toga compiles which fits your descriptions:
http://mihd.net/6seti0

Denis
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

AdminX wrote:Anyone know where I can find Toga II compilations by Bryan Hofmann including a 64 Bit compilation. Does Bryan have a new domain?

Thanks
In every test that I've seen, 64 bit compiles of Toga II have performed worse that the 32 bit ones. Bryan did make some just to keep people from bugging him.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Thank you Denis, that is what I was looking for... :lol:

Post by AdminX »

Dirt wrote:
AdminX wrote:Anyone know where I can find Toga II compilations by Bryan Hofmann including a 64 Bit compilation. Does Bryan have a new domain?

Thanks
In every test that I've seen, 64 bit compiles of Toga II have performed worse that the 32 bit ones. Bryan did make some just to keep people from bugging him.
I wonder why that would be the case ..... :?:

Post by CRoberson »

AdminX wrote:
Dirt wrote:

Thanks

Likely a 64 bit porting issue. Sometimes just recompiling is insufficient.
There are lots of programming techniques that don't work when moving
from 32 bit to 64 bit compiles.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

AdminX wrote:
Dirt wrote:

Thanks
In non-bitboard engines 64 bit data manipulation is rarely used, giving only a small benefit.

A larger effect is that the code grows larger, causing a significant slow down.

Another similar effect is a speedup due to extra registers in 64 bit mode.

In most non-bitboard engines all these issues usually net out to a very small increase in speed, but in Toga's case it is a very small decrease. I don't know specifically what it is about Toga that causes this, but I could speculate that heavy use of pointers or small numbers of local variables might lead to this. These are not bad techniques, they would probably make an engine faster in both 32 and 64 bit modes, but leave it relatively better with just 32 bits.