Page 1 of 2

Linares 2008

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:05 pm
by Philippe
Nobody is talking of the Linares Tournament here.
Time to switch for a good chess forum.

Re: Linares 2008

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:09 pm
by Graham Banks
Philippe wrote:Nobody is talking of the Linares Tournament here.
Time to switch for a good chess forum.
This is a computer chess forum. What has Linares got to do with computer chess?

Re: Linares 2008

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:22 pm
by Philippe
[quote="Graham Banks"][quote="Philippe"]Nobody is talking of the Linares Tournament here.
Time to switch for a good chess forum.[/quote]

This is a computer chess forum. What has Linares got to do with computer chess?[/quote]

Hey Graham, of course it is a computer chess forum but on Rybka forum they mention this super tournament at least once.

Re: Linares 2008

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:26 pm
by Ovyron
Philippe wrote:Hey Graham, of course it is a computer chess forum but on Rybka forum they mention this super tournament at least once.
But that the forum is "good" or "bad" doesn't depend on mentioning Linares or not.

Re: Linares 2008

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:38 pm
by Philippe
[quote="Ovyron"][quote="Philippe"]Hey Graham, of course it is a computer chess forum but on Rybka forum they mention this super tournament at least once.[/quote]

But that the forum is "good" or "bad" doesn't depend on mentioning Linares or not.[/quote]

I agree with this notion of "good" or "bad" but I am disapointed that nobody did not drop a single line for a fantastic tournament which started a [b]week ago[/b].

Re: Linares 2008

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:49 am
by Ovyron
Philippe wrote:I agree with this notion of "good" or "bad" but I am disapointed that nobody did not drop a single line for a fantastic tournament which started a week ago.
I guess that it's a tournament for humans and we're more interested about tournaments between computers.

Re: Linares 2008

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:25 pm
by Dr.Wael Deeb
Graham Banks wrote:
Philippe wrote:Nobody is talking of the Linares Tournament here.
Time to switch for a good chess forum.
This is a computer chess forum. What has Linares got to do with computer chess?
I do agree here Graham 8-)

Re: Linares 2008

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:00 pm
by playjunior
Ovyron wrote:
Philippe wrote:I agree with this notion of "good" or "bad" but I am disapointed that nobody did not drop a single line for a fantastic tournament which started a week ago.
I guess that it's a tournament for humans and we're more interested about tournaments between computers.
I wouldn't say that I have ever been interested in any computer tournament more than in a good human tournament.
However, this is a computer chess forum.
Thus being said, this Linares is quite remarkable, with around half of the games being decisive. Anand loses to Aronian with white, then Topalov to Carlsen (Alekhine defence, figure that out!).

Re: Linares 2008

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:31 pm
by Uri
Linares is just for humans. However it would be interesting to see how a top program like Rybka 2.3.2a, Zappa Mexico II and Deep Shredder XP running on fast hardware would perform in Linares.

Re: Linares 2008

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:03 pm
by Ovyron
Uri wrote:Linares is just for humans. However it would be interesting to see how a top program like Rybka 2.3.2a, Zappa Mexico II and Deep Shredder XP running on fast hardware would perform in Linares.
They would tear apart all their opposition...