Asus Eee PC and Linux

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

James Constance

Asus Eee PC and Linux

Post by James Constance »

The new Asus Eee PC looks like an interesting proposition for cheap mobile computing.

So how does Linux fare when it comes to chess software? Any shortcomings?

Ta :D
Cubeman

Re: Asus Eee PC and Linux

Post by Cubeman »

I am pretty sure you can load Windows XP on one of these so you aren't confined to Linux.Of corse this would make the total package more expensive.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Hi James,

The screen size will annoy you after a while, they could have made it (screen) a little bit bigger. It uses SD drives, and yes it can run XP. I wanted it for a pentest system running Backtrack Linux. So I tried it but returned it next day for a $379 Aspire AS4315-2963 which was in the same price range and better value. Both systems are Intel Celerons running at 1.63 GHz. I then sold that Aspire AS4315-2963 for $600 and bought my current Core2Duo for $650 at Circuit City. They were having a sale on a Aspire AS5920-6914. Funny thing is that I never really cared for the Acer product line. but I have to admit they have come a long way from the junk they used to sell.
Last edited by AdminX on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Marc Lacrosse »

Cubeman wrote:I am pretty sure you can load Windows XP ...
Indeed you can : see "specifications" here :
http://event.asus.com/eeepc/microsites/en/index.htm

Marc
James Constance

Post by James Constance »

Yes, I read it could run XP, but was interested in whether there are decent programs for Linux. Surely somebody out there is using Linux for chess??

Hi Ted. True there are very good deals for laptops, but I think they are likely to weigh noticeably more, which would be a key issue. As for the screen size, I'm sort of comparing to my pocket pc, for which it would be a big improvement. I also like the idea of doing away with things like the DVD drive and having a non-moving hard drive, keep it robust. But you may be right about the screen...

Maybe they'll release flavours with bigger screens with decent prices.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

James Constance wrote:Yes, I read it could run XP, but was interested in whether there are decent programs for Linux. Surely somebody out there is using Linux for chess??

Hi Ted. True there are very good deals for laptops, but I think they are likely to weigh noticeably more, which would be a key issue. As for the screen size, I'm sort of comparing to my pocket pc, for which it would be a big improvement. I also like the idea of doing away with things like the DVD drive and having a non-moving hard drive, keep it robust. But you may be right about the screen...

Maybe they'll release flavours with bigger screens with decent prices.
Hi James,

Yes, if they made a model with a bigger screen and had the same foot print, I would buy another one to keep. I even saw somewhere on the web where some guy replaced his screen with a touchscreen. I think he said it was about a $150 dollar hack.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by ilari »

James Constance wrote:Yes, I read it could run XP, but was interested in whether there are decent programs for Linux. Surely somebody out there is using Linux for chess??
Many strong chess engines (Fruit, Toga, Glaurung, Scorpio, Shredder, etc.) have a native Linux version, and the rest run just fine at pretty much native speed via the Wine emulation layer.

The GUI situation isn't as good though. I prefer Xboard, which can also be used with UCI engines via Polyglot. Arena works with Wine, but then you can only use Windows chess engines.
Tony Nichols

Post by Tony Nichols »

My friend at the chess club has one of these. It is very cool. He runs windows xp. I thought about getting one myself but the processor is old technology. In the 2nd quarter of this year Intel will release their "Intel Atom" architecture with processor speeds up to 1.8 ghz. I expect Asus to use them in there Eee's(just speculation). I'm waiting to see!

Regards
Tony