bad news from zappa ...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Guetti

Re: bad news from zappa ...

Post by Guetti »

It's quite normal some programmers stop developing their engines for some time, some come back and some don't. I'm thinking of Ruffian, Ferret etc.
Last time I heard from Tord Romstad he was loudly thinking about to quit developing Glaurung, too.
However, I hope he will continue his work on Glaurung.
Karmazen & Oliver

Re: news from zappa; But we will always have left those days

Post by Karmazen & Oliver »

Only one copy of the Zappa source code exists in the observable universe today, and that is safely squirreled away in a safe deposit box in the barbarous, provincial depths of rural Iowa, so I couldn't work on it even if I wanted to.
XD ¡¡¡ the temptation of the chess is strong...

... maybe I would send my citrine to a rural zone too... 8-) . uhmm. not for now. ;-)

add on:

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa:

Área: 144.701 km2 ---- it is too big to find to zappa ¡ ;-)

uhmm. only we only need see in Citys whera are houses with "safe deposit box" or money banks. (Population Ranked 30th in the US - Total 2,926,324 ) ... uff ...

----------------------
Zappa is written entirely by me, Anthony Cozzie. but I have received a great deal of help from... go web zappa.
Very very GOOD program and engine Anthony ¡

Thans for the programer of Zappa for all those days of a great engine.

from spain. oliver.

Ryan Benitez

Post by Ryan Benitez »

Nid Hogge wrote:Pffft..

Yeah right.

It was dismissed for how many times now? always the same "This is the real deal this time I am NEVER coming back ever again". I am sick of this dramatic "retirements" every few months. Either you retire, either you don't.

He's probably just preparing his dramatic comeback.. once again :roll: .

P.S. If you think this is uncalled for.. just wait.
If I was not a moderator I would feel much freer to tell you exactly what I think of you and your ridicules post.
Ryan Benitez

Post by Ryan Benitez »

slobo wrote:
Powell wrote:Harvey Williamson (Hiracs Forum) wrote:

I have learned that we will not see a new version of Zappa. Anthony has decided to hang up his keyboard for good. The source code is locked away in a safe. In the past when he stopped working on Zappa he allowed Erdo to enter tournaments on his behalf. He has stated that Zappa will not play in any more of the major tournaments where the authors permission is needed to play.

This is sad for Computer Chess but maybe Anthony will change his mind?!

I was told this 2 days ago but now the information can be made public.

To quote Anthony:

Quote:
After some spectacular failures in the past months, the Zappa project is 100% finished. This includes both tournaments and future releases. Only one copy of the Zappa source code exists in the observable universe today, and that is safely squirreled away in a safe deposit box in the barbarous, provincial depths of rural Iowa, so I couldn't work on it even if I wanted to.

He even thanks me in the credits on his website Smile https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/acozzie2/www/zappa/
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

If it wasn't for Rybka ... Zappa would have been the wonder engine. I think that when Rybka came out, Anthony must have thought that Rybka had some revolutionary code that really made it stand out ... and thus if he could somehow find out what the secret was, Zappa would gain dramatic improvement. With the source code of Rybka beta coming out, I think he was disheartened with the reality that Rybka strength is excellent search capabilities. It will be very hard to compete with Rybka ... especially since Rybka is now being developed very professionaly. Rybka will only get stronger, and I would guess that the first MP Rybka would still be a daunting opponent to any professional program today. Some people want to be number one or otherwise they are not interested. I have to aggree that the effort in creating a very strong engine are really not worth it unless money is no object. Especially when you factor in the fact that the people developing such a project have talents that can easily be put to better use in securing substantially better financial rewards.
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Post by Sylwy »

Only one copy of the Zappa source code exists in the observable universe today, and that is safely squirreled away in a safe deposit box in the barbarous, provincial depths of rural Iowa.....................

Hi Anthony !

The unwashed masses invaded all universes !

Regards,
Silvian
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Sylwy wrote:

Only one copy of the Zappa source code exists in the observable universe today, and that is safely squirreled away in a safe deposit box in the barbarous, provincial depths of rural Iowa.....................

Hi Anthony !

The unwashed masses invaded all universes !

Regards,
Silvian
Silvian,you nasty boy,you don't ever forget,don't you :!: :?:

:P

:wink:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Post by Sylwy »

Nid Hogge

Post by Nid Hogge »

Ryan Benitez wrote:

Yeah right.

It was dismissed for how many times now? always the same "This is the real deal this time I am NEVER coming back ever again". I am sick of this dramatic "retirements" every few months. Either you retire, either you don't.

If I was not a moderator I would feel much freer to tell you exactly what I think of you and your ridicules post.
Please don't stop yourself Ryan, you know it's not healthy to keep things inside.

Now what was so ridicioulous about my post? it's all facts. Yeah, I used some sarcasm, lo and behold!

All I stated is true; He DID "retire" a few times in the past and eventually came back. This does not show any disrespect towards him or his program. just the validity of his claims. Don't forget - Michael Jordan did the same thing :roll: this doesn't make him less of a player (In fact his one of my favorites).

So, once again, all I did was to question (not even criticize, tbh) this claim and if it will hold true. The rest I think is your imagination.

Gee I voted for you Regards,
Ryan Benitez

Post by Ryan Benitez »

Nid Hogge wrote:
Ryan Benitez wrote:

Yeah right.

Please don't stop yourself Ryan, you know it's not healthy to keep things inside.

Now what was so ridicioulous about my post? it's all facts. Yeah, I used some sarcasm, lo and behold!

All I stated is true; He DID "retire" a few times in the past and eventually came back. This does not show any disrespect towards him or his program. just the validity of his claims. Don't forget - Michael Jordan did the same thing :roll: this doesn't make him less of a player (In fact his one of my favorites).

So, once again, all I did was to question (not even criticize, tbh) this claim and if it will hold true. The rest I think is your imagination.

Gee I voted for you Regards,
Ever notice this is not the forum that Anthony posts at any more? Did anyone stop to think about why? Could it be that with all Anthony has given to the computer chess community he gets a lot of criticism around here? That and this place looking like a fan club for a few engines sure would make this feel like an unfriendly place for a skilled programmer like him.