Hosting Update and Request

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

qturner

Hosting Update and Request

Post by qturner »

Hi Everyone,

I hope that everything has been going smoothly here at Talkchess. I’m writing to give you a quick update about the going-ons here at my end.
As you know, early last year I opted to switch the server for the Talkchess account in order to be able to stop the history from being so limited and the various stability issues. This seemed to work relatively well. So well, in fact, that in January I was surprised to find that the site had so much activity last year we went way over our bandwidth allotments.

Being that we were on pace to continue to go over the bandwidth allotment each month, which results in a /per GB over charge, I made the decision to switch my account over from a semi-dedicated to a fully dedicated machine. It was a much better option then considering another host switch especially when I know how easy it is to deal with these guys and get problems resolved quickly. It does costs quite a bit more, but it also means we don’t have to worry about someone else on the server causing downtime for us. In theory, it should have also made things faster.

In response to this increase of costs, I made the tough decision to ask you guys for donations. I certainly did not want to seem out of my position in asking, so I asked the moderators and they did not seem to have an objection with me going forward. There is, of course, no obligation. However, every little bit can help.

If you would like to help out, you can donate via check, money order, paypal, or credit card.

If you would like to donate via paypal, enter the following link in your browser, and then “send money” at the top. Enter icd@icdchess.com as the send to email, and donate whatever quantity you would like.

http://www.paypal.com

To donate via credit card, enter the following link in to your browser which will take you to the chessusa website donation category page. You can select whichever denomination you want. Keep in mind, a valid billing address is required in order to process credit card transactions through the automated system. Here is the page:

http://www.chessusa.com/Merchant2/merch ... y_Code=DON

To donate via check or money order, please send it to:
Your Move Chess & Games
832 North Broadway
North Massapequa, NY 11758

Thanks in advance for everything!

Regards,
Quentin
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Re: hosting update and request

Post by Eelco de Groot »

qturner wrote:Hi Everyone,

I hope that everything has been going smoothly here at Talkchess. I’m writing to give you a quick update about the going-ons here at my end.
As you know, early last year I opted to switch the server for the Talkchess account in order to be able to stop the history from being so limited and the various stability issues. This seemed to work relatively well. So well, in fact, that in January I was surprised to find that the site had so much activity last year we went way over our bandwidth allotments.

Being that we were on pace to continue to go over the bandwidth allotment each month, which results in a /per GB over charge, I made the decision to switch my account over from a semi-dedicated to a fully dedicated machine. It was a much better option then considering another host switch especially when I know how easy it is to deal with these guys and get problems resolved quickly. It does costs quite a bit more, but it also means we don’t have to worry about someone else on the server causing downtime for us. In theory, it should have also made things faster.

In response to this increase of costs, I made the tough decision to ask you guys for donations. I certainly did not want to seem out of my position in asking, so I asked the moderators and they did not seem to have an objection with me going forward. There is, of course, no obligation. However, every little bit can help.

If you would like to help out, you can donate via check, money order, paypal, or credit card.

If you would like to donate via paypal, enter the following link in your browser, and then “send money” at the top. Enter icd@icdchess.com as the send to email, and donate whatever quantity you would like.

To donate via credit card, enter the following link in to your browser which will take you to the chessusa website donation category page. You can select whichever denomination you want. Keep in mind, a valid billing address is required in order to process credit card transactions through the automated system. Here is the page:

Your Move Chess & Games
832 North Broadway

Regards,
Quentin
Hello Quentin,

Thanks very much for the update. The links were not yet clickable when typed in bold, I changed it in the quote.
I tried to make a donation but, with the credit card option, the page will not accept "Outside US" for the State/Province information. There is a message: "One or more required fields were not filled out correctly."
and there seems to be no way to get past that..

Regards, Eelco
adams161
Full name: Mike Adams

Post by adams161 »

hi,

I'm in the usa, seattle, and i purchased a 10 dollar dontation, and it worked fine. Hope to see talkchess gon on for a long time ( particularly since i cant get chess server access while at work but can frequent bulletion boards :)

Mike Adams
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

A question for Quintin

What's the yearly cost of the server? We dont want to donate too much, which would be pointless.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Just out of curiosity - what sort of monthly bandwidth does this site use?

Its just there are on the face of it some fantastic hosting deals out there now.

e.g. 1.7 TB disk space, 17 TB bandwidth, $5 / month

http://www.webhostingpad.com/hosting-features.html

I would be very interested in any experience with these types of accounts as I am seriously considering this

Shaun
LJC

Re: Hosting Update and Request

Post by LJC »

Your Move Chess & Games
832 North Broadway

I think the best option is to charge people like $2/mo or something like that. I think most would pay. I would. We have loads of people on here and that easily cover expenses.

Regards,
Quentin
K I Hyams

Post by K I Hyams »

Your Move Chess & Games
832 North Broadway

Regards,
Quentin
I had the same problem as Eelco - not being able to get past the "One or more required fields were not filled out correctly." screen.

If you could give us an idea of how much money you need to cover expenses together with the number of people who contributed last year and the total amount that you received, we could reach a reasoned decision on how much we should contribute.
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Not working here either.