The Inside Story on Rybka

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

rfadden

The Inside Story on Rybka

Post by rfadden »

Rybka does not include a node count. The number that is output is a very strange "made up" number. I have all of the details and I have had them for a long time. I just included a full report over in the "Computers and Programmers" section of this Forum.

My posting there is quite long and it includes a lot of details. If you want to know about this problem (the numbers coming out of Rybka are not just a bit off, they are completely bogus) then look there and be prepared to read multiple pages. I have gone through all of the inner details and I have confirmed that the same Obfuscation is in all of the version 1.x Rybkas that I have seen.

"Rybka is Made out of People" is a reference to Soylvent Green, but also it's meant to be a little deep, or funny because programs are made out of people, or they are at least made by the effort *of* people.
geots

Re: The Inside Story on Rybka

Post by geots »

rfadden wrote:Rybka does not include a node count. The number that is output is a very strange "made up" number. I have all of the details and I have had them for a long time. I just included a full report over in the "Computers and Programmers" section of this Forum.

My posting there is quite long and it includes a lot of details. If you want to know about this problem (the numbers coming out of Rybka are not just a bit off, they are completely bogus) then look there and be prepared to read multiple pages. I have gone through all of the inner details and I have confirmed that the same Obfuscation is in all of the version 1.x Rybkas that I have seen.

"Rybka is Made out of People" is a reference to Soylvent Green, but also it's meant to be a little deep, or funny because programs are made out of people, or they are at least made by the effort *of* people.

Im certainly no programmer- know nothing of it. But i read your "dissertation", and you are throwing around phrases like "serious problem" and "happy solution". What is serious and the solution is to what? I suppose you fall into that group of people who thinks Vas owes us explanations as to how his program works- because that is the way of the chess community. I.E., sharing ideas without actually giving away too much about your program. I share the view of Bill Rogers when he said "Who cares?!" Just reading your header, i expected something exciting like Vas murdered the actual programmer and then stole it. I mean, we have all been down this road until there are nothing but potholes left.
Spock

Post by Spock »

Agreed
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

geots wrote:
rfadden wrote:Rybka does not include a node count. The number that is output is a very strange "made up" number. I have all of the details and I have had them for a long time. I just included a full report over in the "Computers and Programmers" section of this Forum.

Im certainly no programmer- know nothing of it. But i read your "dissertation", and you are throwing around phrases like "serious problem" and "happy solution". What is serious and the solution is to what? I suppose you fall into that group of people who thinks Vas owes us explanations as to how his program works- because that is the way of the chess community. I.E., sharing ideas without actually giving away too much about your program. I share the view of Bill Rogers when he said "Who cares?!" Just reading your header, i expected something exciting like Vas murdered the actual programmer and then stole it. I mean, we have all been down this road until there are nothing but potholes left.
I believe he's right though..although he needn't bring it up again for the 1000th time.
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

From what I read, Rybka doesnt report the node count in the traditional sense. If I recall this subject has been discussed many times. Beating the dead horse again mate??
GenoM

Post by GenoM »

Tony Thomas wrote:Beating the dead horse again mate??
Why not, bro, why not? :)
take it easy :)
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

GenoM wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote:Beating the dead horse again mate??
Why not, bro, why not? :)
You dont want all the animal lovers marching to your house, do you?

GenoM

Post by GenoM »

I think you're from American Goat Coalition -- beating a dead goat would be your care, I supose :) Horse is not goat, is it? :)
take it easy :)
rfadden

Post by rfadden »

Right, well I'm hoping that Vas fixes this problem. I am an enthusiast, and to me this is like a blob of poo thrown on the Mona Lisa. The key point is that I am giving the exact details of the calculation that is in all versions of Rybka. People who study chess engines can see from this information the extremity of the "fake out job" that continues in Rybka.

So if Vas changes Rybka then my selection of words will end up making sense. I want him to change his source code.

If he does change his source code he will be better off.

When others here respond that I am "making too much noise" I think this then reminds us about human nature. The group wants the individual to be quiet... Why?

Why are we here? Are we here to enjoy ourselves, to learn things, to interact? So why do people think that all of these interactions need to be prim and proper? I am not a prim and proper type person. I like being able to freely express myself.

Why do we need to be quiet? There is no reason... This is the Internet and lots of folks here are being quite extreme when they feel like doing this.

I'm not verbally "yelling", I am just calling attention to the exact details of the nasty obfuscation that was deliberately placed in all versions of Rybka.

It is time (I think) for this nasty piece of poo to be removed from this otherwise beautiful work of art!!!
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Oh, those images are too big, I suggest a smilie: