Any success with these engines

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Any success with these engines

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Tony Thomas wrote:Wael, you do realize that I do not have 522 unique engines in my rating list, right? I probably have about 250 engines and Micromax is probably around rank 150-200..Most of the engines with too many versions are mainly in the top, not because they are stronger, but due to frequent releases..Being stronger than so many engines that are clearly bigger isnt really bad.. Micromax has about 1 elo per character on my list.
I see,thanks for the reply....
BTW,you can always perform a pure list with one version of each engine....but frankly spoken,I kinda like the rating lists with all the versions included in 8-)
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Sorry for accusing you falsely. :oops: It was just that some time ago you mentioned that you did not want to run uMax, because you already were running Joker. I applaud that you have abandoned this discriminatory policy against interesting independent engine projects based on who authored them. :D

And Wael: I am not disappointed about micro-Max' position on Tony's list at all. If I look at the engines near it, this is even better than I would have expected. And it is an incredible performance for a ~100-line algorithm to compete with such serious engines 50 times its size, or even larger. The rating is very satisfying, more than 1 Elo point per character of source code!
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

hgm wrote:Sorry for accusing you falsely. :oops: It was just that some time ago you mentioned that you did not want to run uMax, because you already were running Joker. I applaud that you have abandoned this discriminatory policy against interesting independent engine projects based on who authored them. :D
I made an exception in the case of your engine. The policy is still losely enforced, if and only if the previous project by the author is abandoned. In the case of Sorgenkind and mooboo, mooboo will not be tested. In the case of Witz/buzz, I am not planning to add Witz to the list if it isnt already there. In the case of Nanosachy/Pikosachy, I am still undecided and open to suggestions, I will most likely add Piko as well since its still actively developed. There are many other engine pairs, I cannot possibly name them all...Do you know of any tools that would help me create sort of a pure list to see how many engines that I have ignored so far?? A tool that would automatically weed out the weaker version of the engine from the rating list?
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

hgm wrote:And Wael: I am not disappointed about micro-Max' position on Tony's list at all. If I look at the engines near it, this is even better than I would have expected. And it is an incredible performance for a ~100-line algorithm to compete with such serious engines 50 times its size, or even larger. The rating is very satisfying, more than 1 Elo point per character of source code!
To give the non-programmers some idea of just how impressive this is: If Glaurung had the same Elo/code size ratio, its current Elo rating would have been about 600000 (yes, that's six hundred thousand, and it's not a typo).

Tord
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

hgm wrote:Sorry for accusing you falsely. :oops: It was just that some time ago you mentioned that you did not want to run uMax, because you already were running Joker. I applaud that you have abandoned this discriminatory policy against interesting independent engine projects based on who authored them. :D

And Wael: I am not disappointed about micro-Max' position on Tony's list at all. If I look at the engines near it, this is even better than I would have expected. And it is an incredible performance for a ~100-line algorithm to compete with such serious engines 50 times its size, or even larger. The rating is very satisfying, more than 1 Elo point per character of source code!
In fact,I wrote my post just to step you on the tail as they say :wink:
I am testing both Joker and _micro-Max in my rating list at long time controls and when I have enough games I'll buzz you....

P.S.I've corrected my "crappy" rating list tail :wink:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Tord Romstad wrote:To give the non-programmers some idea of just how impressive this is: If Glaurung had the same Elo/code size ratio, its current Elo rating would have been about 600000 (yes, that's six hundred thousand, and it's not a typo).

Tord
Or said another way, if Glaurung had the same code/Elo size ratio, its current Elo rating would have been 0.005. ;)
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Tord Romstad wrote:
hgm wrote:And Wael: I am not disappointed about micro-Max' position on Tony's list at all. If I look at the engines near it, this is even better than I would have expected. And it is an incredible performance for a ~100-line algorithm to compete with such serious engines 50 times its size, or even larger. The rating is very satisfying, more than 1 Elo point per character of source code!
To give the non-programmers some idea of just how impressive this is: If Glaurung had the same Elo/code size ratio, its current Elo rating would have been about 600000 (yes, that's six hundred thousand, and it's not a typo).

Tord

Glaurung is an amazing piece of art in the computer chess world,but you already know that Tord :D
Piotr Cichy

Post by Piotr Cichy »

Tony Thomas wrote: Not true, I currently have all the interesting engines in my list... I am just trying to go for a record to be the only one who has played with all the engines. :lol: If you look at Rank# 425, you will see Micromax..
Tony, your list lacks some quite interesting engines from Poland:

pikoSzachy
Sierzant
Porucznik
Robin
EGM
Joanna
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Piotr Cichy wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote: Not true, I currently have all the interesting engines in my list... I am just trying to go for a record to be the only one who has played with all the engines. :lol: If you look at Rank# 425, you will see Micromax..
Tony, your list lacks some quite interesting engines from Poland:

pikoSzachy
Sierzant
Porucznik
Robin
EGM
Joanna
Are the last four downloadable somewhere :?:
Piotr Cichy

Post by Piotr Cichy »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote: Are the last four downloadable somewhere :?:
Porucznik is available at polish chess forum: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/progszach/files/
However, only registered users can download the files...

Robin is (was?) available at http://www.robinchess.of.pl/

EGM is probably free available, but I don't know where to find it.

Joanna is available at http://homepages.tesco.net/henry.ablett/jims.html