Very Strong Free Book

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Mark Mason

Very Strong Free Book

Post by Mark Mason »

Hi,

I posted this on the Rybka Forum but thought it may be of more general interest. The book tournament comparing performance of 56 books being run by Sedat Canbez (http://www.sedatchess.com/scct_opening_book.html) is still being led by
the Compmaster.ctg book. The good news is that the book author has just made the book available for download from:

http://www.mediafire.com/?y8jd41jmymd

You need to use 7zip to extract it and you then get the required files for the book. AS part of the download there is an image showing recommended settings for playing the book:
The VARIETY OF PLAY slider bar shows the normal optimised position.
The LEARNING STRENGTH slider is over to the far left. This is fairly common and means that the move weightings will not be changed as a result of games playe ie. book learning is off.
However the INFLUENCE OF LEARNVALUE slider is also shown over to the far left ie. turned off which is strange. If my understanding is correct this would mean that the book would not take account of the move weightings when deciding which move to play. This is very odd as he has clearly done a "learn from database" as there are move weightings assigned, but these playing settings would not allow those move weightings to be used.

Either this is an error in the diagram or I've misunderstood what the settings mean, but what I've described above is as they are described in the Fritz manual. Happy to be corrected if anyone has a different interpretation !

Mark
gerold

Re: Very Strong Free Book

Post by gerold »

Almost 74 mb. Thats a big one.
Mark Mason

Post by Mark Mason »

Meant to add that you will need the password to be able to extract the files. It is:

compmaster

Mark
LJC

Post by LJC »

When I extracted it their was no CB book format nor was there an indication to put a password in??
LJC

Post by LJC »

LJC wrote:When I extracted it their was no CB book format nor was there an indication to put a password in??
I just tried it again and the file is no good.

no indication of a pop up for a password. I believe this was compressed wrong with the password implmentation.

Here is the file that is left after i extracted it:

CompMaster_Beta_1.0 no extension either?

Just put the file compressed without a password. It makes life much easier
GenoM

Post by GenoM »

gerold wrote:Almost 74 mb. Thats a big one.
It's too big for me. No matter how good it is, that's a monster, and I don't love monsters
take it easy :)
Mark Mason

Post by Mark Mason »

Lonnie,

After download you will get a single compressed file. Forget the 7zip - you can open it with winrar facility. Right click on the compressed file and select Extract Here. At this point it should prompt for a password - without the password it will just extract empty files. The prompt for password may be hidden in the toolbar at the bottom of the screen where it says "extracting"so you need to open that up then put the password in then press OK to extract. It will then extract to produce a folder containing the ctg and associated book files.

Rgarding the size, although it is 74Mb it is only made from 59,719 games. The reason it is a big file is that it is 50 moves deep.

Mark
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

LJC wrote:
LJC wrote:When I extracted it their was no CB book format nor was there an indication to put a password in??

no indication of a pop up for a password. I believe this was compressed wrong with the password implmentation.

I got the same result, when I try to extract it regardless with password or without a password, if the file is encrypted then not with 'compmaster', the resultfile is a .0 file so something went wrong I'm afraid. Or did somebody succeed in extracting it with winRAR?

Eelco
gerold

Post by gerold »

Eelco de Groot wrote:
LJC wrote:

I got the same result, when I try to extract it regardless with password or without a password, if the file is encrypted then not with 'compmaster', the resultfile is a .0 file so something went wrong I'm afraid. Or did somebody succeed in extracting it with winRAR?

Eelco
I tryed with winrar. It did not work for me either.

Gerold.
LJC

Post by LJC »

No prompt for password. I even used WinRAR to extract which doesn't really matter cause PowerArchiver can extract 7ZIP FILES TOO.

The file is busted! Do NOT put a password on it. This is not Mission Impossible :.)