Is Computer Chess Now Passe?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sean Evans

Is Computer Chess Now Passe?

Post by Sean Evans »

Has the Golden Age of computer chess now ended?

Deeper Blue beat the undisputed human World Champion many years ago, so that hurdle has been crossed.

Unlikely, any GM could beat a top program on a single Intel Quad Core.

Chessbase software has virtually every command you could ever want on it!

So what is left to talk/fight about ??

I think the golden age of chess is over now!

Cordially,

Sean Evans :twisted:
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Re: Is Computer Chess Now Passe?

Post by mclane »

Sean Evans wrote:Chessbase software has virtually every command you could ever want on it!
you mix this up with Arena.
swami

Post by swami »

Rybka on the fastest computer still make weak moves, no chess engine is perfect. The weakness for different engines vary.

Improving the already stronger program is so difficult and require a lot of creativity and patience.

It takes ages to gain few elo(for top programs) but it wouldn't play that strong equivalent to theoretically solving chess. They still would make mistakes on correspondence chess even.

Chessbase has many features, for a GUI, but It's not complete. There are still some genuine innovations that chessbase is not aware of.

Strongest computer still has to play Top GM's to prove that they are indeed the strongest, so far they have only played 2600-2700 level GM's, that too not on Man vs Machine contest. Ofcourse, I give computers a slight edge on this but they need to play the GM to prove it.

When the engine has reached higher 3000 level, it is hard for programmers to invent new ideas, they have mostly run out of ideas that's why there's not much of a progress in recent time, some people find the current progress slow and unexciting. When there is competition for the top place, it brings back the excitement.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

mclane wrote:
Sean Evans wrote:Chessbase software has virtually every command you could ever want on it!
you mix this up with Arena.
:lol:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
pavel

Post by pavel »

swami wrote:Rybka on the fastest computer still make weak moves, no chess engine is perfect. The weakness for different engines vary.

Improving the already stronger program is so difficult and require a lot of creativity and patience.

It takes ages to gain few elo(for top programs) but it wouldn't play that strong equivalent to theoretically solving chess. They still would make mistakes on correspondence chess even.

Chessbase has many features, for a GUI, but It's not complete. There are still some genuine innovations that chessbase is not aware of.

Strongest computer still has to play Top GM's to prove that they are indeed the strongest, so far they have only played 2600-2700 level GM's, that too not on Man vs Machine contest. Ofcourse, I give computers a slight edge on this but they need to play the GM to prove it.

When the engine has reached higher 3000 level, it is hard for programmers to invent new ideas, they have mostly run out of ideas that's why there's not much of a progress in recent time, some people find the current progress slow and unexciting. When there is competition for the top place, it brings back the excitement.
The question wasn't if the excitement in computer chess is over, the question was if the "goldenn era" of computer chess is over. The answer is yes.

I hope you have been following computer chess for the last ten; if not, than you have already missed it.

pavs
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

no i don't think so.
what is gone is the time one could exploit computerchess for making money.
but this is not the same like the content computerchess continues.
people are still much interested, as you can see from the polls.

ferret, diep, isichess. people are interested in those programs !

people wait for rybka3.
and for the parallel fritz11 and mchess as uci and cstal3 as uci.

people wait for the next colossus. and and and.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

mclane wrote:no i don't think so.
what is gone is the time one could exploit computerchess for making money.
but this is not the same like the content computerchess continues.
people are still much interested, as you can see from the polls.

ferret, diep, isichess. people are interested in those programs !

people wait for rybka3.
and for the parallel fritz11 and mchess as uci and cstal3 as uci.

people wait for the next colossus. and and and.
Thorsten,you can help with at least one of the waitings to end :mrgreen:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Interest in computer chess will wane once the game is solved.
I guess that will take a while yet.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Dann Corbit wrote:Interest in computer chess will wane once the game is solved.
I guess that will take a while yet.
We won't be among the living people I assume 8-)
fern

Post by fern »

Maybe so, but we can enjoy the silver, even the brass age.
By example, I still wait a better gui than the one by chessbase. Something less technical and more funny. There is ample room for that.
Else: engines that really gives you a class of chess according an examination of your mistakes in specific games.
I am waiting for a universal chess theme capable of doing that and manage the rest of my things as If was a GM living in a little flat in NYC, with a desk with my chess board but also with bills to pay, letters to write, articles to read, books to examine, etc.

Total Life Chess.....

Fernando