O/T Firefox 3.0 Now Available

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sean Evans

O/T Firefox 3.0 Now Available

Post by Sean Evans »

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Mozilla_bre ... n_24_hours

Mozilla's new browser Firefox 3.0 has been downloaded over 8 million times in 24 hours. The Mozilla Foundation has encouraged users worldwide to download their latest browser in an attempt to enter the Guinness Book of World Records, with what is referred to as Download Day 2008. The target of five million downloads was reached long before the 24 hour period was over.

The 24 hour download session ended at 18:16 UTC today, one hour later than the original time of 17:00. This delay is due to technical problems which included the servers being overwhelmed. For a while after the specified launch time, the Firefox website linked to a download for Firefox 2.

Over 2.88 million of the downloads were from the European Union, 2.56 million from the United States, while only two of the downloads were from Chad, and one from the Falkland Islands. North Korea, Western Sahara, and French Guiana all had no downloads.

The unofficial, in audited final number of downloads during the 24 hour marathon was 8,290,908. This figure still needs to be checked by the Guinness Book of Records for validity.

If the unofficial figure is accurate, almost 100 copies of the application were downloaded every second.

John Lilly, the CEO of Mozilla commented on the release of Firefox 3. “We’re really proud of Firefox 3 and it just shows what a committed, energized global community can do when they work together,” he said.
tjfroh
Full name: Timothy Frohlick

Re: O/T Firefox 3.0 Now Available

Post by tjfroh »

Sean,

Firefox 3.0 loads pages about ten to twenty percent faster than prior versions. It is more streamlined. I highly recommend it.

Enjoy,

TJ
A New Way Comes Upon Earth.
God is an infinitely variable Constant.
Man marks his ground with ideologies.
Galaxies are the dreidels of God.
War is a punishment for implacability.
Peace flows from forgiveness of sins.
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Once gain Opera seems better http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid3#Layout_engines

BTw I use Firefox :-)
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Since I've upgraded to Firefox 3 I've been getting lots of crashes (specially in flash based sites like Newgrounds) and important addons (like FreeDownloadManager) no longer work :(

Luckily, installing Firefox 3 doesn't mean I can't still use Firefox 2 :)