File Sharing Sites - an important verdict.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

File Sharing Sites - an important verdict.

Post by Harvey Williamson »

This may help to discourage those that illegally upload and Download Commercial Chess Software.

This maybe should be in CTF but as it directly effects Commercial Chess Software I thought i would post it here:
Thousands of file-sharers could be sued after a landmark victory by a computer games company.

It won a court action against four people who individually uploaded the Dream Pinball 3D game on to an illegal sharing website.

They were ordered to pay £750 fines plus costs of about £2,000 after being found to have breached copyright.

This means the four – none of whom was at the hearing – must pay many times the original cost of the game, which was priced at £16.

The case at Central London County Court was brought by the game's producer, Topware Interactive.

The fines reflected the amount of money lost by Topware, even though none of the four worked on behalf of a company or consortium.

After the hearing Topware's solicitors, Davenport Lyons, said it obtained disclosure orders for 1,000 names from internet service providers. They intend to use those to prosecute more file-sharers later this week.

David Gore, a partner at Davenport Lyons, said: 'Copyright owners spend millions of pounds developing copyright works for sale to the public for their enjoyment and yet many think it is acceptable to obtain the work illegally and for free by procuring a copy on a peer-to-peer network.'

Some of the sharing websites are legal but many are not, or do not take action against illegal sharing.

The most infamous file-sharing website was Napster, which was shut down in 2001.

It was later relaunched as a legal platform for file-sharing.
Tony Thomas

Re: File Sharing Sites - an important verdict.

Post by Tony Thomas »

Darn, I must delete the illegal version of Hiarcs 12 from my computer right away.. :lol: I wont claim that I am completely innocent when it comes to downloading copyrighted stuff. I did download few things a while back, but the guilty feeling was too overwhelming and I finally ended up buying 90% of those things.
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Just like normal stealing in the real world ... it will be impossible to stop theft in the cyber world. Some people just have no problems stealing ... it is as simple as that. By the way Harvey, I would like to test the latest Hiarcs 12 on big hardware ... what is the easiest way to buy it. I remember getting H 11 a while back but for some reason it doesn't work anymore ... maybe it got corrupted when I saved it on my USB drive.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

M ANSARI wrote:Just like normal stealing in the real world ... it will be impossible to stop theft in the cyber world. Some people just have no problems stealing ... it is as simple as that. By the way Harvey, I would like to test the latest Hiarcs 12 on big hardware ... what is the easiest way to buy it. I remember getting H 11 a while back but for some reason it doesn't work anymore ... maybe it got corrupted when I saved it on my USB drive.
if you want the UCI version you can buy direct from us and download it from www.Hiarcs.com
menniepals

Post by menniepals »

Does Hiarcs have a Linux Version? I am using Toga and Fruit with my Linux comp. Both engines are extremely satisfying, so far.
Zach Wegner

Post by Zach Wegner »

1. I doubt this will make a dent in file sharing. It's a worldwide operation, and many countries just don't care.

2. While I agree with the verdict, I strongly disagree with "obtain[ing] disclosure orders for 1,000 names from internet service providers." ISPs have no right to monitor the content of their users.

3. Many filesharing websites (namely bittorrent trackers) don't host any content, but allow others to share illegal content. I hope that these do not come under attack--there is plenty of legal stuff that circulates via bittorrent, and some stuff such as live music recordings (that I download quite a bit) that is not illegal but could come under attack as there is no clear line of legality.