Is Arena Folding?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

terminator

Is Arena Folding?

Post by terminator »

It seems whenever the people that run chess websites seem unhappy, they close down their websites. The Arena forum has a 404 page so i don't know what sparked this latest close-down. Arena has been a beta for a long time while Shredder, Fritz etc release GUI's, now even Rybka will have its own GUI.
Mike S.

Re: Is Arena Folding?

Post by Mike S. »

The Arena forum was closed because the forum host company closes all of their forums, one by one. Several other computer chess forums were affected, or will be in the next few month.

But I do not know why no replacement for the Arena forum is being created. Also, I am beginning to doubt that we will ever see an final Arena 2.0.

Nothing lasts forever. - But the achievements so far were already great and Arena 1.1 was always ok for me, for a lot of engine matches and tournaments.
Regards, Mike
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

You forgot a major fact my friend, Arena is free, all the others you mentioned arent. Try ChessGUI..
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

terminator wrote:It seems whenever the people that run chess websites seem unhappy, they close down their websites. The Arena forum has a 404 page so i don't know what sparked this latest close-down. Arena has been a beta for a long time while Shredder, Fritz etc release GUI's, now even Rybka will have its own GUI.
From a Michael Diosi (Arena team member) post in rec.games.chess.computer:

P.S. A new version of Arena will be released soon, sorry still beta guys
but still free. Also the forum will reopen and we will might have a Wiki
too...
bnst

Post by bnst »

too...[/quote]

Wonderful !
Thanks a lot
Andreas
gerold

Post by gerold »

tmokonen wrote:
terminator wrote:It seems whenever the people that run chess websites seem unhappy, they close down their websites. The Arena forum has a 404 page so i don't know what sparked this latest close-down. Arena has been a beta for a long time while Shredder, Fritz etc release GUI's, now even Rybka will have its own GUI.

too...
Very good news. Arena is still the best for me.

Best to you,

Gerold.
GenoM

Post by GenoM »

All best to Arena developers from another Arena old fan :)

regards,
Geno
take it easy :)
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

GenoM wrote:All best to Arena developers from another Arena old fan :)

regards,
Geno
I second that Geno :D

Pozdravi za Plovdiv,
Dr.Wael Deeb
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
terminator

Post by terminator »

They should release a stable version instead of many buggy betas. Arena may not have as many features as the commercial GUIs but something stable is preferable than many buggy beta releases.
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

terminator wrote:They should release a stable version instead of many buggy betas.
They? Doh......
terminator wrote:Arena may not have as many features as the commercial GUIs.
Like? I only know of two GUI's that are orientated towards those things that Arena is made for. Both are free. Of the 3, Arena has the most features. Doh.....
terminator wrote:.... but something stable is preferable than many buggy beta releases.
Nobody told you to use beta versions. Why do you think they are called betas? Doh......

:roll: