Impressive Preliminary Results of Rybka 3 by Larry Kaufman!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

plattyaj

Re: Impressive Preliminary Results of Rybka 3 by Larry Kaufm

Post by plattyaj »

i myself have carefully read Larrys seminal paper: The Evaluation of Material Balances from 1999, posted on Dan Heismans website: http://home.comcast.net/~danheisman/Art ... alance.htm, and i've created eval terms for xyclOps based on some of these findings (as have most i believe).
Try this URL instead:

http://danheisman.home.comcast.net/~dan ... alance.htm

Andy.
tiger

Post by tiger »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Nimzovik wrote:Heavens! I as a chess player love to analyse openings.....who doesn't? Now I have an even better engine looming on the horizon for this purpose. Vas -- like the terminator--JUST KEEPS COMING! My point is this however.....We as chess players are being given what we SAY we want---a strong engine-------------THEN we WHINE about it? Why?? Because it beats the snot out of the competition? Sheeeesh. Something wrong here... I applaud the new paradigm shift! This is capitalism and ingenuity at work! I too was tired of being milked like a cash flow cow and paying the "annual fee" for engines that improved perhaps 10 rating points a year.....were not we all? I chant "All hail Vas! All hail VAS". I still like to play Hiarcs tho. Maybe one day we will even get a program that can beat Father Pablo's stonewalling 100% of the time :!: :wink: :lol: That is the paradigm shift I am truly waiting for!
You mean Pablo's monkey trick :!:

Pablo cannot beat Chess Tiger's antihuman setting, so what you are waiting for has already been done years ago.

// Christophe
George Tsavdaris

Post by George Tsavdaris »

tiger wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Nimzovik wrote:Heavens! I as a chess player love to analyse openings.....who doesn't? Now I have an even better engine looming on the horizon for this purpose. Vas -- like the terminator--JUST KEEPS COMING! My point is this however.....We as chess players are being given what we SAY we want---a strong engine-------------THEN we WHINE about it? Why?? Because it beats the snot out of the competition? Sheeeesh. Something wrong here... I applaud the new paradigm shift! This is capitalism and ingenuity at work! I too was tired of being milked like a cash flow cow and paying the "annual fee" for engines that improved perhaps 10 rating points a year.....were not we all? I chant "All hail Vas! All hail VAS". I still like to play Hiarcs tho. Maybe one day we will even get a program that can beat Father Pablo's stonewalling 100% of the time :!: :wink: :lol: That is the paradigm shift I am truly waiting for!

Pablo cannot beat Chess Tiger's antihuman setting, so what you are waiting for has already been done years ago.
Yes of course, but my only objection here is that the strongest Chess Tiger(and that is the default) can fall on that trap, and only with human intervention(that is by setting the antihuman to ON) it can beat ~100% of the times Pablo.

If the strongest Chess Tiger(default) had a way of recognizing the trap that is being set to it and played accordingly(like Chess Tiger antihuman=ON does), then i would say that the problem of "Father play" is solved!
And Chess Tiger doing all these(recognizing the trap etc) without losing any strength of it.

The time where computers will be able to avoid such "anti-computer" play, will be the time that they will be able to plan!
I don't see yet any future for this at all.....
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....
fern

Post by fern »

Nice to see here with your lovely daughter!!!
How is going all?
Still working at Tiger?
I sometimes remember the times when I tested one of your first versions, the one given by La Puce Echiqueene. And then we talked about a bit.
Hope you are in the race and will amaze us very soon.
BTW, let me tell you wat I have told to every proramer inm town: GUI is now the master of the universe.
I have so many ideas that nobody has taken!!!
Stefan only said to me "too complicated", but he liked my visions.
Ok, a bientot
Fernando
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Zach Wegner wrote:In this interview Vas says that he has worked very hard on MP scaling and is "quite sure" Rybka will be the best scaling:
http://www.chesscafe.com/text/chessok20.pdf

Personally, I think that's a load of BS. I highly doubt that any program is going to touch Zappa or Diep in terms of scaling in the near future. Rybka simply cannot do it without going the iterative search route... and this will surely take longer than 6 weeks.
I guess that he has been working on SMP for quite some time.
I guess also that he will now use a threaded rather than a process approach.
He has reported results that show the new version *is* scaling well, so whatever it is that he has done was effective.
Zach Wegner

Post by Zach Wegner »

Perhaps, but let's see him run Rybka on 512 processors and see how well it really scales.
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Vas has been working on MP scaling for quite a bit more than 6 weeks ... 60 weeks seems more accurate. I don't think that he has switched to threads from processes ... but if he says he has cracked MP scaling then I would tend to believe him. I could never figure out why Vas used processes instead of threads, but he must have a reason. Anyway in a few days we will find out.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

tiger wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:

// Christophe
I am aware of that,but a lot of people don't even have the clue 8-)
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

M ANSARI wrote:Vas has been working on MP scaling for quite a bit more than 6 weeks ... 60 weeks seems more accurate. I don't think that he has switched to threads from processes ... but if he says he has cracked MP scaling then I would tend to believe him. I could never figure out why Vas used processes instead of threads, but he must have a reason. Anyway in a few days we will find out.
It is much easier to use processes instead of threads.
The processes do not have to worry about any sharing of objects except for those things deliberately placed in shared memory.

The only downside is that a process is a much heavier burden on the OS than a thread.

I guess that you won't see more than 5% speedup from changing from processes to threads, but you will see some benefit.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Zach Wegner wrote:Perhaps, but let's see him run Rybka on 512 processors and see how well it really scales.
You need software transactions for that.
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfil ... _id=303851