Delfi Trainer 5.4 is now out

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

Delfi Trainer 5.4 is now out

Post by AdminX »

It's 80 elo stronger then 5.3 ...
Improved Parallel search
128 Hash
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Re: Delfi Trainer 5.4 is now out

Post by Charles B. »

If you are a registered user, did you receive a download link or engine by email? Thank you for any information.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Charles B. wrote:If you are a registered user, did you receive a download link or engine by email? Thank you for any information.
Yes, I did ...

Download link via Email
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

AdminX wrote:
Charles B. wrote:If you are a registered user, did you receive a download link or engine by email? Thank you for any information.
Yes, I did ...

Download link via Email
It's not a bad deal, the web page says 2 years of free updates. I don't know if there's a current commercial engine that's more inexpensive, now that ChessAlex is no longer commercial.
Charles B.

Post by Charles B. »

AdminX wrote:
Yes, I did ...

Download link via Email

o.k., I've always had to ask for the upgrades after they were released. I wondered if this was the normal way things are done for every registered user. A 5.4 engine was sent to me with the note that my e-mail address hadn't made it to the automated notify list. all's well
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

tmokonen wrote:
AdminX wrote:
Yes, I did ...

Download link via Email
It's not a bad deal, the web page says 2 years of free updates. I don't know if there's a current commercial engine that's more inexpensive, now that ChessAlex is no longer commercial.
I agree, but I see a loop in the commercial venture..Why give away the similar version without the GUI for free? The only difference in engines if I recall correctly is a slight speed advantage for the commercial version due to the use of a better compiler. I am not sure if you have ever noticed, but the Obender programmer mentions in the read me that his program costs 5 dollars, and he tells you to put it in an envelop and send it to his address. If I remember correctly the cost of Chessalex was also five bucks, and when I got ready to buy it the site didnt exist anymore, and few months later he decided to release it for free.
tmokonen

Post by tmokonen »

Tony Thomas wrote: I agree, but I see a loop in the commercial venture..Why give away the similar version without the GUI for free? The only difference in engines if I recall correctly is a slight speed advantage for the commercial version due to the use of a better compiler. I am not sure if you have ever noticed, but the Obender programmer mentions in the read me that his program costs 5 dollars, and he tells you to put it in an envelop and send it to his address. If I remember correctly the cost of Chessalex was also five bucks, and when I got ready to buy it the site didnt exist anymore, and few months later he decided to release it for free.
Mr T., there is one other difference between the free and commercial versions. DelfiT lets you select a wider range of ELO values in the INI file, rather than just the choice of full strength and 1000 ELO. It's a bit more realistic than most programs with adjustable strength. Whether that's enough to justify the cost, I dunno.
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

tmokonen wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote: I agree, but I see a loop in the commercial venture..Why give away the similar version without the GUI for free? The only difference in engines if I recall correctly is a slight speed advantage for the commercial version due to the use of a better compiler. I am not sure if you have ever noticed, but the Obender programmer mentions in the read me that his program costs 5 dollars, and he tells you to put it in an envelop and send it to his address. If I remember correctly the cost of Chessalex was also five bucks, and when I got ready to buy it the site didnt exist anymore, and few months later he decided to release it for free.
Mr T., there is one other difference between the free and commercial versions. DelfiT lets you select a wider range of ELO values in the INI file, rather than just the choice of full strength and 1000 ELO. It's a bit more realistic than most programs with adjustable strength. Whether that's enough to justify the cost, I dunno.
I forgot about the adjustable elo part..Deep Sjeng used to have that feature, but according to the program I was rated around 1300, but I cant even defeat Josh at age 6 from Chessmaster (he did lose on time once when I had a superior position)..I think it might be a good idea to support a programmer like Fabio, first of all his source is open though not GPL. I might consider buying it within the next few weeks after the release of Rybka 3. Please dont call me Mr.T again, I am nowwhere near as big or ugly..Tony, do you have any plans to implement time management to your engine? I would like to include it in my rating list, but it doesnt support 1min+1sec time control properly.

tmokonen

Post by tmokonen »

Tony Thomas wrote: I forgot about the adjustable elo part..Deep Sjeng used to have that feature, but according to the program I was rated around 1300, but I cant even defeat Josh at age 6 from Chessmaster (he did lose on time once when I had a superior position)..I think it might be a good idea to support a programmer like Fabio, first of all his source is open though not GPL. I might consider buying it within the next few weeks after the release of Rybka 3. Please dont call me Mr.T again, I am nowwhere near as big or ugly..Tony, do you have any plans to implement time management to your engine? I would like to include it in my rating list, but it doesnt support 1min+1sec time control properly.
I must say, Tony, that's one frightening picture you posted. The mere sight of Mr T's visage might give me enough of a kick in my lazy ass to get this new version done. I wouldn't mess with his mother, either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_rBidCkJxo

You're right that Tony's Chess doesn't support incremental time controls. I'll try fix that next version, and let you know when it's done.