Aquarium and Engine Matches

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Marc Lacrosse

Re: Aquarium and Engine Matches

Post by Marc Lacrosse »

jdart wrote:I've pretty much given up on Aquarium. I have ChessBase, which is so superior in terms of ease of use for analysis, annotation, and search, that it isn't even close.(...)
Same here.
It's a pity that interesting features like what they call IDeA (intercative deep engine analysis) is lost in one of the most un-natural interfaces that i ever saw.
Almost any simple action is complicated in this GUI.
And quite a few basic features are missing or buggy.
jdart wrote:For engine matches, I mostly use Winboard, which is reliable and stable. (...)
Same here too.
And with actively developped improvements (Pradu's PWBTM + newest updates of Scotti's WinboardX by HG Mueller) it could well stay best for a while!

Marc
bnst

Post by bnst »

Thanks both for useful information.

Andreas
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

oreopoulos wrote:Can you compare MS Paint with Photoshop?
Yes, I dislike the design of Photoshop. And I have a program that has almost all Photoshop features with a much more intuitive interface (800x600r friendly), so we don't need to go back to MSPaint (that's not a good example of a good GUI anyway.)
oreopoulos wrote:Notepad with Word?
I use Wordpad, but Word is fine (its complexity is nothing compared to Aquarium, Word could be analogized to the Shredder UCI GUI.)
oreopoulos wrote:If and when Shredder GUI has similar functionality , then you can compare usability.
I can compare the usability of the features that are in both GUIs, and conclude that it takes me more time (to figure out), navigation (because of the Ribbon), clicks (Because of the separation of modes), and frustration (because Aquarium will do something I did not expect) to do something as simple as Infinite Analyze a position.

As I said on the RF, using Aquarium for simple things is like taking an airplane to travel to the corner shop (using Shredder UCI GUI would be like going by bicycle, but the bicycle won't let you travel too far.)