CANADA: New Supercomputer

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sean Evans

CANADA: New Supercomputer

Post by Sean Evans »

University of Toronto, IBM, to build Canada's most powerful supercomputer

The new supercomputer will use IBM's iDataPlex system, introduced earlier this year, which doubles the number of processors per computer server rack. More than 4,000 servers will be linked using this system.
I would enjoy getting one of these racks for my basement!
kranium

Re: CANADA: New Supercomputer

Post by kranium »

It'll soon be connected to playchess.com engine room running rybka 3... :D
Uri

Post by Uri »

kranium wrote:It'll soon be connected to playchess.com engine room running rybka 3... :D
It will interesting to see Rybka 3 on the IBM Roadrunner or on this new supercomputer. It will be at least 10 times stronger than Deeper Blue which played Kasparov in 1997.
Linshark

Post by Linshark »

Uri wrote:
kranium wrote:It'll soon be connected to playchess.com engine room running rybka 3... :D
It will interesting to see Rybka 3 on the IBM Roadrunner or on this new supercomputer. It will be at least 10 times stronger than Deeper Blue which played Kasparov in 1997.
I believe a PC running Rybka could beat Deeper Blue, but that would mainly be because of software-improvements. On the hardware side the Deep Blue of 1997 would still be much faster in chess than a modern PC.
Great book about the future of technology:
The singularity is near, by Ray Kurzweil.