To Jeroen and interested minds, re. Tiger node count

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

George Tsavdaris

Re: To Jeroen and interested minds, re. Tiger node count

Post by George Tsavdaris »

Jeroen wrote:as somebody from the team is trying to play it smart by returning the question.

Which you refuse to answer (and I know why :-)).
I think there is no point in all these.....
As i've always have said the child we have inside never leaves us. Hehe. :D
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....
Golem

Post by Golem »

Jeroen wrote:Chris W uses the word 'collaborator' and here is a link where you can see what this means:

http://www.mijnwoordenboek.nl/vertalen.php

Collaborator: 'a traitor to one's country'.

So a mod uses this word addressing me. I'd like official excuses for this.
Does Chris use dutch language in his post :wink: . I don't think so... So why are you so angry ?
daws

Post by daws »

Jeroen wrote:Chris W uses the word 'collaborator' and here is a link where you can see what this means:

Collaborator can have more than one meaning.
collaborator
One entry found.

collaborate

1 : to work jointly with others or together especially in an intellectual endeavor 2 : to cooperate with or willingly assist an enemy of one's country and especially an occupying force 3 : to cooperate with an agency or instrumentality with which one is not immediately connected
Hope this helps.
Golem

Post by Golem »

Jeroen wrote:as somebody from the team is trying to play it smart by returning the question.

Sorry but Vas never answer the question... It's a fact. Christophe has just admitted that he counts the nodes differently because the algorithm of chess tiger is different.
tiger

Post by tiger »

I do not refuse and I have made a clear proposal.

Now you can of course drag this on by pretending that you are acting out of curiosity as a simple customer when you are in reality part of the Rybka team, after being part of the Tiger and the Rebel teams.

Tell me, which of these sentences is false:
- you are a part of the Rybka team
- you are using internal knowledge of Chess Tiger in order to ask a question that you think is embarassing
- you would like people to stop asking questions about the node count of Rybka
- you would like to divert the attention from the way Rybka obfuscates its node count to other programs' node count

Maybe sending a member of the team to pose as a simple customer and ask a "candid" question sounded as a good idea?

No really, if Rybka's node count is nobody's business, then fine, the Rybka team should say it once and for all. Unfortunately we already know how it obfuscates the node count, but I still believe that telling us that it's not our business would be the best defense. Keeping mute about it does not work anymore. Sending a member of the team to divert the attention is even worse.

// Christophe
tiger

Post by tiger »

Golem wrote:

Sorry but Vas never answer the question... It's a fact. Christophe has just admitted that he counts the nodes differently because the algorithm of chess tiger is different.

And I have even offered to REVEAL this algorithm!

// Christophe
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

Was it the Mad Hatter who said to Alice, "words mean whatever I want them to mean"? You are like the Mad Hatter here, Jeroen.

I used 'collaborator' as meaning somebody who worked with another person. As you worked with Christophe on Tiger.

English is full of words with meaning dependent on context. The context was your work with Christophe. The context was not Dutch experience with the German occupiers in World War 2. and it is quite deceitful of you to suggest so.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

My goodness, we have a team of moderators here:

A) Who are going to tell you that words as 'shut up' have a general meaning
B) Who do not take harsh words seriously (as in 'shut up' and 'ignorant') if people say to them that they feel offended
C) Are the ones telling you if you can feel offended or not
D) Tell to me what I have to feel and not feel reading the word 'collaborator'

I am a Dutch person, mr. Whittington. And in the Dutch language the word collaborator has a very negative meaning as I already explained to you. Call a few Dutch people 'collaborator' and then watch what happens. Maybe then you get the point.
Henrik Dinesen

Post by Henrik Dinesen »

Jeroen wrote:A collaborator in the Dutch language means f.e. Dutch people who joined the Nazis during world war II and betrayed their own people. So maybe now you understand why I am upset?
For the record, the meaning is more or less the same in Danish. And when used in English, it usually seems to follow that line too.

If anyone called me a collaborator, I'd like it to be a friend who's just joking.
Henrik
tiger

Post by tiger »

Jeroen wrote:My goodness, we have a team of moderators here:

A) Who are going to tell you that words as 'shut up' have a general meaning
B) Who do not take harsh words seriously (as in 'shut up' and 'ignorant') if people say to them that they feel offended
C) Are the ones telling you if you can feel offended or not
D) Tell to me what I have to feel and not feel reading the word 'collaborator'

I am a Dutch person, mr. Whittington. And in the Dutch language the word collaborator has a very negative meaning as I already explained to you. Call a few Dutch people 'collaborator' and then watch what happens. Maybe then you get the point.

Jeroen, he is speaking english, not Dutch. Ans as far as I know he is a native english speaker, so if he tells you that there was no negative meaning in the word, then why would you not believe him?

You are also bringing back the "shut up" stuff. I already explained that in this ironic post of mine, "shut up" was directed to me. I wrote the message in a humorous way as if somebody in a higher sphere was telling me to shut up.

I don't understand how you could take offense of this, even after I explained that "shut up" was directed at me.

// Christophe