Speaking of false evidence...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Dann Corbit, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Post Reply
Dann Corbit
Posts: 12035
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Redmond, WA USA
Contact:

Speaking of false evidence...

Post by Dann Corbit » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:47 am

Here are assembly listings created from the binaries of Strelka 1.0, Rybka 1.0 Beta, Fruit 2.1 using IdaPro freeware:
http://cap.connx.com/chess-engines/new- ... ompare.zip

It is interesting to note that the UCI parser of Rybka 1.0 definitely does not even call strtok().

We have been quibbling over false information. These so-called source code dumps are whimsical fabrications.

You can get IdaPro Freeware here:
http://www.hex-rays.com/idapro/idadownfreeware.htm

and repeat the experiment for yourselves. The UCI parsers of Fruit 2.1 and Rybka 1.0 are not terribly similar and Rybka clearly does not use strtok() at all.

I suggest that it will be a worthwhile exercise to perform the experiments yourselves and not rely on the words of someone else (including me!)

User avatar
geots
Posts: 4790
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:42 pm

Re: Speaking of false evidence...

Post by geots » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:55 am

Dann Corbit wrote:Here are assembly listings created from the binaries of Strelka 1.0, Rybka 1.0 Beta, Fruit 2.1 using IdaPro freeware:
http://cap.connx.com/chess-engines/new- ... ompare.zip

It is interesting to note that the UCI parser of Rybka 1.0 definitely does not even call strtok().

We have been quibbling over false information. These so-called source code dumps are whimsical fabrications.

You can get IdaPro Freeware here:
http://www.hex-rays.com/idapro/idadownfreeware.htm

and repeat the experiment for yourselves. The UCI parsers of Fruit 2.1 and Rybka 1.0 are not terribly similar and Rybka clearly does not use strtok() at all.

I suggest that it will be a worthwhile exercise to perform the experiments yourselves and not rely on the words of someone else (including me!)

Dann, you are way too smart for this. You know good and well Bob is not the least bit interested in the truth. And they have taken this poor innocent kid, pumped him up, and sit back and shamelessly let his name be drug thru the mud. Im embarrassed for them all.


PS: Since my first day in computer chess, you and Jim Ablett are the 2 i have looked up to the most- you 2 are my heroes of sort.


Best,

User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 35088
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: Speaking of false evidence...

Post by Graham Banks » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:25 am

Should be interesting to see how the accusers respond to this! :wink:
gbanksnz at gmail.com

Dann Corbit
Posts: 12035
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Redmond, WA USA
Contact:

Re: Speaking of false evidence...

Post by Dann Corbit » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:34 am

Graham Banks wrote:Should be interesting to see how the accusers respond to this! :wink:
I hope that they respond as follows:
1. Download the disassembly tools or use their favorite disassembler.
2. Disassemble the binaries themselves.
3. Examine the resulting listings carefully.
4. Form their own conclusions.

I will be genuinely interested in what they have to say if they actually perform these steps. I am not interested in discourse with anyone who has not done so, because they are running on hearsay evidence and evidence I believe to be largely fabricated.

User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 35088
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: Speaking of false evidence...

Post by Graham Banks » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:38 am

Dann Corbit wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:Should be interesting to see how the accusers respond to this! :wink:
I hope that they respond as follows:
1. Download the disassembly tools or use their favorite disassembler.
2. Disassemble the binaries themselves.
3. Examine the resulting listings carefully.
4. Form their own conclusions.

I will be genuinely interested in what they have to say if they actually perform these steps. I am not interested in discourse with anyone who has not done so, because they are running on hearsay evidence and evidence I believe to be largely fabricated.
I wonder if any of them have the guts to back down if they're proven wrong. :roll:
gbanksnz at gmail.com

User avatar
geots
Posts: 4790
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:42 pm

Re: Speaking of false evidence...

Post by geots » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:46 am

Graham Banks wrote:Should be interesting to see how the accusers respond to this! :wink:

Exactly what world did you wake up in Graham- if it is the truth- which i am quite certain it is- they will ignore it and/or divert attention away from it. This was never a quest for truth- merely a witchhunt.

User avatar
geots
Posts: 4790
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:42 pm

Re: Speaking of false evidence...

Post by geots » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:49 am

Graham Banks wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:Should be interesting to see how the accusers respond to this! :wink:
I hope that they respond as follows:
1. Download the disassembly tools or use their favorite disassembler.
2. Disassemble the binaries themselves.
3. Examine the resulting listings carefully.
4. Form their own conclusions.

I will be genuinely interested in what they have to say if they actually perform these steps. I am not interested in discourse with anyone who has not done so, because they are running on hearsay evidence and evidence I believe to be largely fabricated.
I wonder if any of them have the guts to back down if they're proven wrong. :roll:

There you go- getting silly again.

User avatar
geots
Posts: 4790
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:42 pm

Re: Speaking of false evidence...

Post by geots » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:53 am

geots wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:Should be interesting to see how the accusers respond to this! :wink:
I hope that they respond as follows:
1. Download the disassembly tools or use their favorite disassembler.
2. Disassemble the binaries themselves.
3. Examine the resulting listings carefully.
4. Form their own conclusions.

I will be genuinely interested in what they have to say if they actually perform these steps. I am not interested in discourse with anyone who has not done so, because they are running on hearsay evidence and evidence I believe to be largely fabricated.
I wonder if any of them have the guts to back down if they're proven wrong. :roll:

There you go- getting silly again.

Dont know about you- but if Dann Corbit tells me it is going to snow in the middle of August- im getting out my long johns, cover-alls and insulated boots 8-)

User avatar
Zach Wegner
Posts: 1922
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:51 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Speaking of false evidence...

Post by Zach Wegner » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:15 am

Sorry again Dann, but you are again wrong. It is there, without the function name.

Please Dann, if you are going to say that what I post is "whimsical fabrications", please investigate it a little more.

Code: Select all

.text:0040EDDB strtok          proc near               ; CODE XREF: start_go+A9p
.text:0040EDDB                                         ; start_go+B4p ...
.text:0040EDDB
.text:0040EDDB var_2C          = dword ptr -2Ch
.text:0040EDDB var_28          = dword ptr -28h
.text:0040EDDB var_24          = dword ptr -24h
.text:0040EDDB var_4           = dword ptr -4
.text:0040EDDB arg_0           = dword ptr  8
.text:0040EDDB arg_4           = dword ptr  0Ch
.text:0040EDDB
.text:0040EDDB                 push    ebp
.text:0040EDDC                 mov     ebp, esp
.text:0040EDDE                 sub     esp, 2Ch
.text:0040EDE1                 mov     eax, dword_663608
.text:0040EDE6                 xor     eax, ebp
.text:0040EDE8                 mov     [ebp+var_4], eax
.text:0040EDEB                 mov     eax, [ebp+arg_0]
.text:0040EDEE                 push    ebx
.text:0040EDEF                 push    esi
.text:0040EDF0                 mov     esi, [ebp+arg_4]
.text:0040EDF3                 push    edi
.text:0040EDF4                 mov     [ebp+var_2C], eax
.text:0040EDF7                 call    sub_411438
.text:0040EDFC                 push    8
.text:0040EDFE                 pop     ecx
.text:0040EDFF                 mov     [ebp+var_28], eax
.text:0040EE02                 xor     eax, eax
.text:0040EE04                 lea     edi, [ebp+var_24]
.text:0040EE07                 push    7
.text:0040EE09                 rep stosd
.text:0040EE0B                 pop     edi
.text:0040EE0C
.text:0040EE0C loc_40EE0C:                             ; CODE XREF: strtok+4Aj
.text:0040EE0C                 mov     dl, [esi]
.text:0040EE0E                 movzx   ecx, dl
.text:0040EE11                 mov     eax, ecx
.text:0040EE13                 and     ecx, edi
.text:0040EE15                 mov     bl, 1
.text:0040EE17                 shl     bl, cl
.text:0040EE19                 shr     eax, 3
.text:0040EE1C                 lea     eax, [ebp+eax+var_24]
.text:0040EE20                 or      [eax], bl
.text:0040EE22                 inc     esi
.text:0040EE23                 test    dl, dl
.text:0040EE25                 jnz     short loc_40EE0C
.text:0040EE27                 mov     edx, [ebp+var_2C]
.text:0040EE2A                 test    edx, edx
.text:0040EE2C                 jnz     short loc_40EE3B
.text:0040EE2E                 mov     eax, [ebp+var_28]
.text:0040EE31                 mov     edx, [eax+18h]
.text:0040EE34                 jmp     short loc_40EE3B
.text:0040EE36 ; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
.text:0040EE36
.text:0040EE36 loc_40EE36:                             ; CODE XREF: strtok+77j
.text:0040EE36                 test    al, al
.text:0040EE38                 jz      short loc_40EE54
.text:0040EE3A                 inc     edx
.text:0040EE3B
.text:0040EE3B loc_40EE3B:                             ; CODE XREF: strtok+51j
.text:0040EE3B                                         ; strtok+59j
.text:0040EE3B                 mov     al, [edx]
.text:0040EE3D                 movzx   esi, al
.text:0040EE40                 xor     ebx, ebx
.text:0040EE42                 mov     ecx, esi
.text:0040EE44                 and     ecx, edi
.text:0040EE46                 inc     ebx
.text:0040EE47                 shl     ebx, cl
.text:0040EE49                 shr     esi, 3
.text:0040EE4C                 mov     cl, byte ptr [ebp+esi+var_24]
.text:0040EE50                 test    bl, cl
.text:0040EE52                 jnz     short loc_40EE36
.text:0040EE54
.text:0040EE54 loc_40EE54:                             ; CODE XREF: strtok+5Dj
.text:0040EE54                 mov     ebx, edx
.text:0040EE56                 jmp     short loc_40EE70
.text:0040EE58 ; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
.text:0040EE58
.text:0040EE58 loc_40EE58:                             ; CODE XREF: strtok+98j
.text:0040EE58                 movzx   esi, byte ptr [edx]
.text:0040EE5B                 xor     eax, eax
.text:0040EE5D                 mov     ecx, esi
.text:0040EE5F                 and     ecx, edi
.text:0040EE61                 inc     eax
.text:0040EE62                 shl     eax, cl
.text:0040EE64                 shr     esi, 3
.text:0040EE67                 mov     cl, byte ptr [ebp+esi+var_24]
.text:0040EE6B                 test    al, cl
.text:0040EE6D                 jnz     short loc_40EE77
.text:0040EE6F                 inc     edx
.text:0040EE70
.text:0040EE70 loc_40EE70:                             ; CODE XREF: strtok+7Bj
.text:0040EE70                 cmp     byte ptr [edx], 0
.text:0040EE73                 jnz     short loc_40EE58
.text:0040EE75                 jmp     short loc_40EE7B
.text:0040EE77 ; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
.text:0040EE77
.text:0040EE77 loc_40EE77:                             ; CODE XREF: strtok+92j
.text:0040EE77                 mov     byte ptr [edx], 0
.text:0040EE7A                 inc     edx
.text:0040EE7B
.text:0040EE7B loc_40EE7B:                             ; CODE XREF: strtok+9Aj
.text:0040EE7B                 mov     eax, [ebp+var_28]
.text:0040EE7E                 mov     ecx, [ebp+var_4]
.text:0040EE81                 mov     [eax+18h], edx
.text:0040EE84                 mov     eax, ebx
.text:0040EE86                 sub     eax, edx
.text:0040EE88                 neg     eax
.text:0040EE8A                 sbb     eax, eax
.text:0040EE8C                 pop     edi
.text:0040EE8D                 and     eax, ebx
.text:0040EE8F                 pop     esi
.text:0040EE90                 xor     ecx, ebp
.text:0040EE92                 pop     ebx
.text:0040EE93                 call    sub_4116F5
.text:0040EE98                 leave
.text:0040EE99                 retn
.text:0040EE99 strtok          endp

Dann Corbit
Posts: 12035
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Redmond, WA USA
Contact:

Re: Speaking of false evidence...

Post by Dann Corbit » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:17 am

geots wrote:
geots wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:Should be interesting to see how the accusers respond to this! :wink:
I hope that they respond as follows:
1. Download the disassembly tools or use their favorite disassembler.
2. Disassemble the binaries themselves.
3. Examine the resulting listings carefully.
4. Form their own conclusions.

I will be genuinely interested in what they have to say if they actually perform these steps. I am not interested in discourse with anyone who has not done so, because they are running on hearsay evidence and evidence I believe to be largely fabricated.
I wonder if any of them have the guts to back down if they're proven wrong. :roll:

There you go- getting silly again.

Dont know about you- but if Dann Corbit tells me it is going to snow in the middle of August- im getting out my long johns, cover-alls and insulated boots 8-)
I am wrong often enough to make it a bad idea.

But whatever the case may be, it is always a good idea to keep the attitude for which the "Show-me" state of Missouri is famous.

Post Reply