World Chess Championship (Game 5)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Re: World Chess Championship (Game 5)

Post by Damir »

But, I still believe Anand would be able to beat Rybka 3, without any handicap

Anand could not beat old Rebel 16 years ago, how can he beat Rybka ?
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Analysis by: appollox

From rybkaforum.net

Game 5:

D49 Semi-Slav Meran System - Old Main Line Result 0-1

As another Semi-Slav was revealed to the denizens of Chessbase, there was discontent. It had been played to Anand's advantage in Game 3, so the anticipation was that perhaps Kramnik had a clever adjustment prepared. It was not to be seen, at least not in the way Kramnik deduced things. This was a good game though and it was more saucier than the game three line. Let's look:

1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. Nf3 e6 5. e3 Nbd7 6. Bd3 dxc4 7. Bxc4 b5 8. Bd3 a6 9. e4 c5 10. e5 cxd4 11. Nxb5 axb5 12. exf6 gxf6 13. O-O Qb6 14. Qe2 Bb7

The key to this innovation. This bishop like in game 3 has a serious effect on white's kingside.

15.Bxb5 Rg8

Herein lies the obvious point, the rook is maintaining the positional balance with white's sole advantage being the double passed pawns on the queenside. But it needs to be handled perfectly to get white to an ending where their strength can be evidenced.

16. Bf4 Bd6 17. Bg3 f5 18. Rfc1

The best move for Kramnik. But it cost him dearly in time - his longest think of the game; time which he could not afford when the crux of the situation came later.

f4 19. Bh4 Be7 20. a4

This advance I liked, it takes the pressure off the queen for protecting this bishop and prepares the pawn as a promotion distraction for black.

Bxh4 21. Nxh4 Ke7!

Anand plays cunningly. Steinitz would be proud. Not only does it unpin the knight, it more importantly communicates the two rooks on the back rank. Which is needed to neutralize white's strong control of the c-file.

22. Ra3?!

This is one of those moves that you don't really see how bad it is until you've played it. Kramnik after making this move got up from his chair looking somewhat frustrated with himself and went to the rest area. He knew the rook was going to have to go back to a1 after the exchanges.

Rac8 23. Rxc8 Rxc8 24. Ra1 Qc5 25. Qg4 Qe5 26. Nf3 Qf6

Anand sets a deep trap which Kramnik is not lured by immediately. With Kramnik in time trouble Anand knows that this trap has a better chance of catching him.

27.Re1 Rc5 28. b4 Rc3 29. Nxd4??

Kramnik probably thought this was his golden opportunity, if he had more time I bet he would have seen this door had a lion behind it.

Qxd4 30. Rd1 Nf6 31. Rxd4 Nxg4 32. Rd7+ Kf6 33. Rxb7 Rc1+ 34. Bf1 Ne3! 35. fxe3 fxe3 0-1

This was a great swindle by Anand in the spirit of Frank Marshall. It is the best game of the match so far. This 2 game advantage should be enough for Anand to win the title, but comebacks do happen in chess. If Kramnik were to have success in the remaining games it would rank as one of the biggest turnarounds. Frankly, I don't see it happening at this point. Anand's form 'is in the zone' and Kramnik is searching for answers. Anand must be feeling good though, because Kramnik is one tough customer. He needs to keep his steady work going though, because this is where being comfortably in front is an easy sell for weakening resolve.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Ovyron »

Damir wrote:Anand could not beat old Rebel 16 years ago, how can he beat Rybka ?
Agreed. People don't realize how incredibly strong Rybka 3 is. Perhaps Anand could have chances against Rybka 2.3.2a due to style, but Rybka 3 is out of this world (remember they'd use Rybka on 40 cores or more.)
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

Damir wrote:But, I still believe Anand would be able to beat Rybka 3, without any handicap

Anand could not beat old Rebel 16 years ago, how can he beat Rybka ?
IIRC, Rebel got the advantage on rapid and blitz, not in slow games, where Anand got an advantage.

Miguel
glorfindel

Post by glorfindel »

Damir wrote:But, I still believe Anand would be able to beat Rybka 3, without any handicap

Anand could not beat old Rebel 16 years ago, how can he beat Rybka?
I don't wish to claim that Anand would beat Rybka 3, I simply don't know what could happen is such a match. However your question implies that, while Rybka 3 is much better than Rebel, Anand is the same player he was a decade ago.
This is not true. He is in top form, his play is much more mature than it was in his youth and he is a completely universal player with no real weaknesses. He feels at home in complicated games but of course he is also great positionally. Furthermore, he now knows computer programs very well and learns from them. In a recent interview asked about computers' influence in modern chess he said "The computer is an excellent training partner. It helps me to improve my game." and he also said "In any case one is working for months with the computer, trying to find new paths." In a hypothetical serious match he would prepare professionally (not like against Rebel) and perhaps have good chances.