The suspence is not great any more

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

S.Taylor

The suspence is not great any more

Post by S.Taylor »

From a practical standpoint as to how much I should mess up my life by being in suspence, and thereby neglecting life emergencies to be by computer (in hebrew its called "yetzer hara"), well, I feel the urge is not so overwhelming anymore, as it seems that the winner is already known, and as for interesting live chess, that can always wait for more convenient times. [it will all still be there on line, later on too]
However, there's absolutely no gurantee that Kramnik will not not win the whole championship, and Anand only has to get distracted, and could just start losing enough times, which is easy, but unlikely to such a degree.
So all I need to know is when the match ends, or atleast, after 2 more games, to hear where the score is holding, as then if Kramnik has won the next 2 games, he might equallize with a third win and get ahead with a fourth win. Other than that, it's not desperate anymore.
fern

Re: The suspence is not great any more

Post by fern »

You are becoming wiser. I cannot imagine a worst lose of time than to follow these matches between guys that does not break a wind in order not to risk anything.
Sip a beer is lot better than looking at those games in my opinion..
Shalom
Fern
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

fern wrote:You are becoming wiser. I cannot imagine a worst lose of time than to follow these matches between guys that does not break a wind in order not to risk anything.
Shalom
Fern
Petrosian was more interesting?
Spaasky had more to lose by losing the match, yet he did not aim for the computerised style of no-risk.
But the modern computerised style MAY have started with Karpov perhaps? (just before computers came big in chess, but after the soviet regime showed how it punishes Spassky).
plattyaj

Post by plattyaj »

Jeesh, is it just be or do people whine a lot?! First we had a discussion about why the games were going to be so boring. Then when Anand finds some super-sharp novelties and completely tests his opponent people say it's no longer interesting.

Personally I've been fascinated by the last few games and even if Anand wins every one of them this is the most exciting chess I've seen played in a world championship match for a long time. Bring it on!

Andy.
Philippe

Post by Philippe »

Kramnik does not want to play the last games because he cannot win anymore.
What are the stipulations of this world championship ? No money or else ?
mhull
Full name: Matthew Hull

Post by mhull »

S.Taylor wrote:
fern wrote:You are becoming wiser. I cannot imagine a worst lose of time than to follow these matches between guys that does not break a wind in order not to risk anything.
Shalom
Fern
Spaasky had more to lose by losing the match, yet he did not aim for the computerised style of no-risk.
But the modern computerised style MAY have started with Karpov perhaps? (just before computers came big in chess, but after the soviet regime showed how it punishes Spassky).
Surely the Capablanca - Alekhine world championship match was much more "no risk" and boring than what we're seeing now, Yes?
Matthew Hull
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

mhull wrote:
S.Taylor wrote:
Shalom
Fern
Surely the Capablanca - Alekhine world championship match was much more "no risk" and boring than what we're seeing now, Yes?
I see no point to this thread. Either you like chess or you don't.

If you don't like chess then why are you here?
Terry McCracken
mhull
Full name: Matthew Hull

Post by mhull »

Terry McCracken wrote:
mhull wrote:
S.Taylor wrote:
Shalom
Fern

I think all he was saying was "the suspense is over". But the idea that current play has been the product of computerized "no risk" style ignores both the aggressive play of Anand and classic matches that were much more indicative of "safe and boring" held long before the age of computers.
Matthew Hull
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

mhull wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
mhull wrote:
S.Taylor wrote:
Shalom
Fern

I think all he was saying was "the suspense is over". But the idea that current play has been the product of computerized "no risk" style ignores both the aggressive play of Anand and classic matches that were much more indicative of "safe and boring" held long before the age of computers.
You have a point with your last comment, not so much that old matches were boring but modern matches have had a computerized element to them. Often this leads to safer and less exciting chess.

Anand appears to be rewriting the rules. This is the best match since Karpov vs Kasparov second match and Spassky vs Fischer before that.

Terry
Terry McCracken
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Terry, as to your question if I don't like chess, why am I here? I painstakingly tried to word it so this irrelevant question shoudn't come up. I could have tried harder, but I trusted it wouldn't be necesary.
I mean, if someone is bleeding to death, then I could feel I can to that, and see the games later. But if it is all in the ballance, I might leave the one who is bleeding to death and attend to the chess. :roll: :roll:
I hope this now calms you dowm!!!