An Infinitely Bad Experience

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

An Infinitely Bad Experience

Post by AdminX »

:shock:

"After sitting out of computer chess for a few weeks I attempted to play in Infinity Chess’s Freestyle Tournament last weekend. I can not tell everyone how excited I was that a new chess server had come online, providing engine players an untainted place to play. (To be honest, I had become disillusioned with the wild west show being put on by Chessbase over at Playchess.) I had great hopes that Infinity Chess would be better."

Full Story Below:
http://www.frayerchess.com/
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Re: An Infinitely Bad Experience

Post by M ANSARI »

I think people have to realize that this sort of thing is very common with anything that is new. It will take some time to iron out all the little bugs ... hopefully after that this site will become popular with Freestyle chess. Freestyle chess games are probably the strongest chess games played on earth.
Michel

Post by Michel »

I wonder why it was necessary to design a new protocol for this server.

FICS works fine and is well tested. Furthermore it is cross platform and supported by many clients both closed and open source ones.

What is the advantage of a new protocol for which there is only a proprietary windows client?

Michel
Volker Pittlik
Full name: Volker Pittlik

Post by Volker Pittlik »

Michel wrote:...
What is the advantage of a new protocol for which there is only a proprietary windows client?...
Distracting people from platforms using other open protocols and let them pay for using the proprietary one? I'm always surprised how many people like it to pay more than necessary.

vp