Thinker 5.4d

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Re: Thinker 5.4d

Post by Graham Banks »

swami wrote:Thanks for the release Lance and Kerwin.

5.4d was supposed to be nearly 40 elo improvement over 5.4c.
They didn't release it. Somebody stumbled across a link for a beta version that was not supposed to be available for the public.

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26946

From Lance in the thread quoted above:
I believe that is a private build, and is intended only for a few number of people doing some limited tests. That is why the home page does not mention it.

I think you have discovered a way to get to the non-public builds. Very clever.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
swami

Post by swami »

Graham Banks wrote:

They didn't release it. Somebody stumbled across a link for a beta version that was not supposed to be available for the public.

I believe that is a private build, and is intended only for a few number of people doing some limited tests. That is why the home page does not mention it.

I see. I had no idea whether it was public or intended for few people. They shouldn't have posted it in public domain if they didn't intend for a release...or was that one of the tester who made it available? or someone who wasn't a part of the team figured out the way to get it?

I read this thread and the link's made available in here. But I haven't downloaded it since I'm not at home. Innocently saying thanks doesn't mean I've downloaded it... :wink:
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Graham Banks wrote:

Who is he Graham,give me names bro,I will personaly hunt him down :evil:
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

Dr.D
No idea Wael. :wink:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Denis P. Mendoza

Post by Denis P. Mendoza »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

Dr.D
:D Don't ask me too Doc...my lips are sealed :wink: !

But if I'll be the judge, that guy is 'innocent beyond reasonable doubt' as the "Public" folder explicitly stated: "Shared with: Everyone (public)"! See for yourself at the bottom of the page: http://cid-2991af457de54bf0.skydrive.li ... spx/Public . Case closed!
Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Post by Werner »

Kerwin wrote me:

"Yup. I'm OK with that version. Since anyway, it looks like a number of users have already downloaded it also."

So we started to test 5.4d. But if you have a look at our blitz results you will see only a small difference between 2 and 4CPU.
I am sure, Kerwin is still working on that to improve 4CPU performance.
Werner
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Graham Banks wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

Dr.D
No idea Wael. :wink:
You're a good friend Graham,protecting your buddy from being beated up :lol:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Denis P. Mendoza wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

Dr.D
:D Don't ask me too Doc...my lips are sealed :wink: !

But if I'll be the judge, that guy is 'innocent beyond reasonable doubt' as the "Public" folder explicitly stated: "Shared with: Everyone (public)"! See for yourself at the bottom of the page: http://cid-2991af457de54bf0.skydrive.li ... spx/Public . Case closed!
:P
Thanks Denis,you're a good friend too....
Dr.D
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

Graham Banks wrote:

Hi Graham. Kerwin posted a clarification in the Winboard forum about this version, in the thread called Thinking In Parallel. I had posted in that thread announcing this version, and then had been informed it was a private version. I felt bad about posting what I thought was a link for something that wasn't supposed to be available for download and he replied:
There is no harm in downloading the file. Its just that it is not an official release. It is not tested thoroughly and most changes are experimental. Its OK to tell users about it. They just have to be also informed about the status of that build.
Tony
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

tmokonen wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

Hi Graham. Kerwin posted a clarification in the Winboard forum about this version, in the thread called Thinking In Parallel. I had posted in that thread announcing this version, and then had been informed it was a private version. I felt bad about posting what I thought was a link for something that wasn't supposed to be available for download and he replied:
There is no harm in downloading the file. Its just that it is not an official release. It is not tested thoroughly and most changes are experimental. Its OK to tell users about it. They just have to be also informed about the status of that build.
Tony
Don't feel so guilty Tony,I also found a way to the location of the file about the same time without reading your post....further more,i made the post in our beloved CCC forum :wink:
Dr.D