I was Not a Software Pirate

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Dann Corbit, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
michiguel
Posts: 6401
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Contact:

Re: I was Not a Software Pirate

Post by michiguel » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:26 pm

slobo wrote:
michiguel wrote:
bnemias wrote:
bnemias wrote:I was talking about end users copying DOS illegally, making it ubiquitous, resulting in ever more sales of DOS and eventually to the adoption of Windows.
Another way of making this point is the idea that the way to speed GNU/Linux adoption would be to improve the effectiveness of the WGA program so that Windows couldn't be pirated.

Here's an article that discusses in depth this idea. See near the end where it talks about "What can be done with this information?"
One of the reasons I hate piracy is because it slows down the development of genuine free alternatives.

Miguel
LOL!
Do you mean that developing of your engine is so slow because of piracy?
<sigh>

My engine is not free, it is closed source. My engine is a hobby or past time that is not intended to fill any niche let alone compete with any commercial alternative...

Of course I was talking about GNU/Linux vs. Windows as the text clearly shows.

In fact, you may even sympathize with the Linux movement vs. Windows, but you may like to troll better. Come on, you can do better than that!

Miguel

User avatar
michiguel
Posts: 6401
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Contact:

Re: I was Not a Software Pirate

Post by michiguel » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:29 pm

playjunior wrote:
michiguel wrote:
bnemias wrote:
bnemias wrote:I was talking about end users copying DOS illegally, making it ubiquitous, resulting in ever more sales of DOS and eventually to the adoption of Windows.
Another way of making this point is the idea that the way to speed GNU/Linux adoption would be to improve the effectiveness of the WGA program so that Windows couldn't be pirated.

Here's an article that discusses in depth this idea. See near the end where it talks about "What can be done with this information?"
One of the reasons I hate piracy is because it slows down the development of reverse engineered alternatives.

Miguel
FYP
What is your point?

Are you trying to hijack yet another thread?

Miguel

playjunior
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:53 pm

Re: I was Not a Software Pirate

Post by playjunior » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:39 pm

michiguel wrote:
playjunior wrote:
michiguel wrote:
bnemias wrote:
bnemias wrote:I was talking about end users copying DOS illegally, making it ubiquitous, resulting in ever more sales of DOS and eventually to the adoption of Windows.
Another way of making this point is the idea that the way to speed GNU/Linux adoption would be to improve the effectiveness of the WGA program so that Windows couldn't be pirated.

Here's an article that discusses in depth this idea. See near the end where it talks about "What can be done with this information?"
One of the reasons I hate piracy is because it slows down the development of reverse engineered alternatives.

Miguel
FYP
What is your point?

Are you trying to hijack yet another thread?

Miguel
It was a joke.

And, if you can, show one single thread which I have hijacked.

User avatar
michiguel
Posts: 6401
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Contact:

Re: I was Not a Software Pirate

Post by michiguel » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:48 pm

playjunior wrote:
michiguel wrote:
playjunior wrote:
michiguel wrote:
bnemias wrote:
bnemias wrote:I was talking about end users copying DOS illegally, making it ubiquitous, resulting in ever more sales of DOS and eventually to the adoption of Windows.
Another way of making this point is the idea that the way to speed GNU/Linux adoption would be to improve the effectiveness of the WGA program so that Windows couldn't be pirated.

Here's an article that discusses in depth this idea. See near the end where it talks about "What can be done with this information?"
One of the reasons I hate piracy is because it slows down the development of reverse engineered alternatives.

Miguel
FYP
What is your point?

Are you trying to hijack yet another thread?

Miguel
It was a joke.

And, if you can, show one single thread which I have hijacked.
You as in y'all. Unfortunately, the English language does not have a distinction between the second person singular and plural, except it the south of USA. I do not keep track of the hijackers, who are many. If it was a joke, that is ok. Sorry, I am getting annoyed to keep reading threads and see that constantly steered to always the same direction.

Miguel

kerostave

Re: I was Not a Software Pirate

Post by kerostave » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:52 am


Yes Kerostave, I know your community exists.

Oddly enough Azaad apologies here, yet is still a contributing member of the "new" Lionroad.

So much for the apology...

Peter
You know AZAAD never apologize, much less you.
Incidentally, I see your page kikrtech.com has very little activity, already deleted all chess BANNED internet sites? (obviously prohibited under your own discretion).
Happy New Year 2010 and .... chess pirate hunting? :)

Kero

PS: Please, can you create a different engine without modifying the source code of Crafty? Will be my christmas present :)

User avatar
Peter Skinner
Posts: 1760
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:49 pm
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Full name: Peter Skinner
Contact:

Re: I was Not a Software Pirate

Post by Peter Skinner » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:49 pm

kerostave wrote: You know AZAAD never apologize, much less you.
Incidentally, I see your page kikrtech.com has very little activity, already deleted all chess BANNED internet sites? (obviously prohibited under your own discretion).
Happy New Year 2010 and .... chess pirate hunting? :)

Kero

PS: Please, can you create a different engine without modifying the source code of Crafty? Will be my christmas present :)
If you think kikrtech.com is a dead site, then so be it. Or did you actually think that was a real counter on the bottom of the page? Did you not notice it wasn't actually counting page views? It was on 41117 for _months_. I will have to change that to a 1x1px image. Since I let the cat out of the bag.

Do you not think I know where Lionroad has gone? Do you not think I have very good reasons for _not_ removing the thousands of links to pirated content? Or having borda.ru remove the site completely?

On the plus side, I am getting very good at translating russian :)

Peter
I got kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bible's to the fiction section.

perejaslav
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:01 am
Location: Cold

Re: I was Not a Software Pirate

Post by perejaslav » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:37 pm

Peter Skinner wrote:
Do you not think I know where Lionroad has gone? Do you not think I have very good reasons for _not_ removing the thousands of links to pirated content? Or having borda.ru remove the site completely?

On the plus side, I am getting very good at translating russian :)

Peter
:lol:
I wish you good luck in this actions. Not removing so called «pirated» links is a great «work» by you, Peter!
How many stuff did you download from there? C'mon, be honest! :roll:

Post Reply