The Biggest Match since Kasparov v Deep Blue?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

The Biggest Match since Kasparov v Deep Blue?

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Rybka on its 52 core Cluster has become an awesome Chess entity, probably more powerful than Deep Blue. We all know that Deep Blue defeated Kasparov. Cluster Rybka would I am sure beat any GM or other engine in a match. But can it beat any other Chess entity?

The only engine to have finished ahead of Rybka in recent times in a major tournament is Hiarcs, probably the most consistent performer on the SSDF ratings list for almost 20 years.

I am organising a match in Central London. It will be played where the public can watch as well as all the usual internet streams on Playchess and ICC etc...

The match will be a Top GM + Hiarcs v Cluster Rybka. 6 games played over a week using a Fischer time control probably 90+30 or 90+60. Hiarcs will use hardware that fits in 1 box, probably a dual Nehalem system. The GM will have access to CB10 and opening books. He will not see the Rybka opening book, the only engine he can load is Hiarcs.

I have discussed the match with Vas Rajlich who has agreed to play. I have a top GM lined up and a venue in Central London. I just need to raise a few thousand Euros to make it all happen. 3 sponsors so far have promised some cash towards the event.

Would you like to contribute? If so please get in touch with me via a Private message. This is a match that will interest the media and promote Computer Chess.
towforce

Re: The Biggest Match since Kasparov v Deep Blue?

Post by towforce »

I think that Adams v Hydra in June 2005 was another big milestone - the moment when computers conspicuously left humans behind in their dust trail.
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
Harvey Williamson

towforce wrote:I think that Adams v Hydra in June 2005 was another big milestone - the moment when computers conspicuously left humans behind in their dust trail.
That is probably true. So here we will let the GM have a little help :)
mschribr

Post by mschribr »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
towforce wrote:I think that Adams v Hydra in June 2005 was another big milestone - the moment when computers conspicuously left humans behind in their dust trail.
This has also been done before when kramnik lost to fritz in 2006. Kramnik had help from fritz in the game opening. Fritz was restricted to a 5 piece tablebase. Kramnik could claim draw if fritz found a draw. Fritz ran on only 2 Intel Core 2 Duo CPUs. For months before and during the tournament Kramnik could train with the same fritz running on the same computer.
Mark
Harvey Williamson

mschribr wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
This has also been done before when kramnik lost to fritz in 2006. Kramnik had help from fritz in the game opening. Fritz was restricted to a 5 piece tablebase. Kramnik could claim draw if fritz found a draw. Fritz ran on only 2 Intel Core 2 Duo CPUs. For months before and during the tournament Kramnik could train with the same fritz running on the same computer.
Mark
Here the GM will not have the same engine to practice with and will not see the Rybka opening book. He will be facing a Cluster - the new Deep Blue.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Very Interesting Match Harvey
i did sponsor the GM Benjamin v Rybka Draw Odds match and you can count on me to add to the growing list of sponsors for this match

The Early Wagering Line is ..

Hiarcs+GM 3.5-2.5 Wins Regards
Steve
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Hi,

It won't be a larger match than K vs. DB. Why not make it Human vs. Machine instead of Human & Machine vs. Machine. Seems silly to me, certainly much less interesting than the K vs. DB.

Cordially,

Sean
Harvey Williamson

Sean Evans wrote:Hi,

It won't be a larger match than K vs. DB. Why not make it Human vs. Machine instead of Human & Machine vs. Machine. Seems silly to me, certainly much less interesting than the K vs. DB.

Cordially,

Sean
Because it has been proved that a Human alone would get crushed. But can a top human with a top program to stop him blundering succeed?
IWB

Post by IWB »

Hello Harvey
Harvey Williamson wrote:Rybka on its 52 core Cluster has become an awesome Chess entity, probably more powerful than Deep Blue. We all know that Deep Blue defeated Kasparov. Cluster Rybka would I am sure beat any GM or other engine in a match. But can it beat any other Chess entity?

The only engine to have finished ahead of Rybka in recent times in a major tournament is Hiarcs, probably the most consistent performer on the SSDF ratings list for almost 20 years.

I am organising a match in Central London. It will be played where the public can watch as well as all the usual internet streams on Playchess and ICC etc...

The match will be a Top GM + Hiarcs v Cluster Rybka. 6 games played over a week using a Fischer time control probably 90+30 or 90+60. Hiarcs will use hardware that fits in 1 box, probably a dual Nehalem system. The GM will have access to CB10 and opening books. He will not see the Rybka opening book, the only engine he can load is Hiarcs.

I have discussed the match with Vas Rajlich who has agreed to play. I have a top GM lined up and a venue in Central London. I just need to raise a few thousand Euros to make it all happen. 3 sponsors so far have promised some cash towards the event.

Would you like to contribute? If so please get in touch with me via a Private message. This is a match that will interest the media and promote Computer Chess.
Very nice and intersting - I hope it will be a great success, but if Rybka run in one box, even a dual Nehalem, it is not a cluster. To my understanding a cluster has to be at least 2 seperate computers (whatever is inside) connected by a network.

Nevertheless, I am looking forward to see that!

Bye
Ingo
Harvey Williamson

IWB wrote:Hello Harvey
Harvey Williamson wrote:Rybka on its 52 core Cluster has become an awesome Chess entity, probably more powerful than Deep Blue. We all know that Deep Blue defeated Kasparov. Cluster Rybka would I am sure beat any GM or other engine in a match. But can it beat any other Chess entity?

Very nice and intersting - I hope it will be a great success, but if Rybka run in one box, even a dual Nehalem, it is not a cluster. To my understanding a cluster has to be at least 2 seperate computers (whatever is inside) connected by a network.

Nevertheless, I am looking forward to see that!

Bye
Ingo
Hi Ingo,

Rybka will run on the biggest Cluster it can put together currently 52 cores! Hiarcs is restricted to one box.

Best Wishes,
Harvey