Intel's eight-core Nehalem-EX & ICGA

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Yar

Intel's eight-core Nehalem-EX & ICGA

Post by Yar »

Hello,

Maybe ICGA will change the rule to use only 8 core machines at WCCC after Intel introduce 8 core chip ?

Intel will be announcing its eight-core Nehalem-EX Xeon processor next week, on May 26th.

Able to carry out 16 threads simultaneously, Intel's octopus also boasts 2.3 billion transistors and integrated power gates to keep guzzlage down, making it a powerful weapon in Chipzilla's battle with RISC architecture.

Nehalem-EX will cater to servers with more than two sockets, an improvement on the firm's current model.

The eight-cored wonder also outstrips Intel's six-cored, Penryn "Dunnington", which up until now was the firm's highest-performing chip for multi-processor servers.

The chip will begin shipping in systems by late 2009, early 2010.

With best regards,
Yar
Werewolf

Re: Intel's eight-core Nehalem-EX & ICGA

Post by Werewolf »

link?
Yar

Post by Yar »

M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

It says more than 2 sockets ... how many sockets more I wonder? If 4 sockets then that is 32 cores sharing memory right there.
Yar

Post by Yar »

M ANSARI wrote:It says more than 2 sockets ... how many sockets more I wonder? If 4 sockets then that is 32 cores sharing memory right there.
It will be available for 3 and 4 sockets, so 32 max.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Yar wrote:
M ANSARI wrote:It says more than 2 sockets ... how many sockets more I wonder? If 4 sockets then that is 32 cores sharing memory right there.
Wow,I don't know about you and Majd,but I am already feeling dizzy :shock:
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
bob

Post by bob »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Yar wrote:
Dr.D
Without saying too much, I have seen some 100M nps numbers from a quad beckton prototype box. This thing looks very good. The Nehalem has 3 connections from a chip, which means a quad-socket will be a bit more efficient than a quad-socket AMD since their HT only has two connections and you end up with a "box" with each socket at one corner and the processor on the opposite corner is 2 hops away. nehalem has one 0-hop local memory and 3 1-hop remote memory configuration which is better. Not sure what they will do to go beyond 4 sockets however.
Zach Wegner

Post by Zach Wegner »

bob wrote:Without saying too much, I have seen some 100M nps numbers from a quad beckton prototype box. This thing looks very good. The Nehalem has 3 connections from a chip, which means a quad-socket will be a bit more efficient than a quad-socket AMD since their HT only has two connections and you end up with a "box" with each socket at one corner and the processor on the opposite corner is 2 hops away. nehalem has one 0-hop local memory and 3 1-hop remote memory configuration which is better. Not sure what they will do to go beyond 4 sockets however.
Damn! 32 cpus? Quite a monster. My cluster hardware is very rapidly becoming outdated. :( Cheap though!
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

bob wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Yar wrote:
Dr.D
Without saying too much, I have seen some 100M nps numbers from a quad beckton prototype box. This thing looks very good. The Nehalem has 3 connections from a chip, which means a quad-socket will be a bit more efficient than a quad-socket AMD since their HT only has two connections and you end up with a "box" with each socket at one corner and the processor on the opposite corner is 2 hops away. nehalem has one 0-hop local memory and 3 1-hop remote memory configuration which is better. Not sure what they will do to go beyond 4 sockets however.
Do you think you could send me a protoype Bob? :wink:
bob

Post by bob »

Terry McCracken wrote:
bob wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Yar wrote:
Dr.D
Do you think you could send me a protoype Bob? :wink:
Almost all of my playing with such boxes is done remotely. Only prototype I have had locally was the 2x nehalem box I was playing with a month ago to figure out a BIOS bug before we bought a small cluster using those nodes.