Stockfish 1.4, the final weapon

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Christopher Conkie

Re: Stockfish 1.4, the final weapon

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Tord Romstad wrote:but I won't hunt down and kill Joona or Marco if they decide to do it.

Tord
Pity, would solve a few things at once.
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

Christopher Conkie wrote:
And you should find a better cloner.
There are no better cloners then me and Joona around. I mean among the still not banned ones :-)
Christopher Conkie

mcostalba wrote:
And you should find a better cloner.
There are no better cloners then me and Joona around. I mean among the still not banned ones :-)
There is still time......
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

Tord Romstad wrote:but I won't hunt down and kill Joona or Marco if they decide to do it.

Tord
Sorry for you but the "things" will remain still open for a long time in the future.

Try to live with that. 8-)
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

Well your engines also pretends to paly chess but doesn't know the rules of chess...

So no wonder it crashes...

Michael
Christopher Conkie

mcostalba wrote:

Tord
Sorry for you but the "things" will remain still open for a long time in the future.

I live easily without renamed derivatives that are broken by people who do not understand them.
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

mcostalba wrote:

Tord

I live easily without renamed derivatives that are broken by people who do not understand them.
No, you misunderstood, you should have written:

"I live easily WITH renamed derivatives that are broken by people who.."

because that's the way is gonna be.
Christopher Conkie

mcostalba wrote:
mcostalba wrote:

Tord

No, you misunderstood, you should have written:

"I live easily WITH renamed derivatives that are broken by people who.."

because that's the way is gonna be.
We shall see.......anyway........got 10 games that prove you improved something by 40 elo again?

I need a laugh.
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

Christopher Conkie wrote: We shall see.......anyway........got 10 games that prove you improved something by 40 elo again?

I need a laugh.
I never stated something like that !

On specific request I have said that in my opinion I foreseen at best +30 ELO (+-10 ) improvement. But can be also less, this is only an optimistic foreseen.

The point is that I am having a lot of fun writing code for this engine and especially I am very proud to develop something togheter with two very smart guys that I respect A LOT, and not only for their brilliant technical skills.

This is the WHOLE point. Until yesterday I tought that if an increase in ELO had arrived this would have been an added bouns on an already very satisfactory condition for me.

Today I start to be worried that too much increase is more a problem then a worth because put our engine too much under the spotlight and I _start_ to understand this is not so good.

But don't worry, we have thick skin. We will survive all this hype and in a couple of weeks (when all this will disappear) we will be again at the our usual quiet and peaceful developing activity.
matejst
Full name: Boban Stanojević

Post by matejst »

Marco,

Stockfish isn't only for programmers, as I already said before. You enjoy making it, we enjoy using it. I also see Stockfish also as a valuable help to Tord Romstad. Developping a strong engine has become a team work, and I see you all three, Joona, Tord and you rather as a team.

Stockfish plays an intelligent and humanlike chess. It is excellent for analysing, and I think that there is lot of room for further improvement. In features, not only in strength: a learning function would be fine, p. e. But an improvement of 40 elos, based mostly on evaluation, is a great improvement. For analysis, the speed is not so important. (In closed positions, depth means nothing. Running the Nunn test, I noticed that Glaurung and Stockfish won almost all their french defense.)

It seems to me that a few of us have forgotten the point of open source software: this code is around to be used, under certain conditions, of course. And making a chess engine is perhaps fun, but the point could also be that this engine should play well.

So, don't bother. Just continue working. I hope that there will be a new, improved version soon.