Stockfish 1.4, the final weapon

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Dann Corbit, hgm

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
Dr.Wael Deeb
Posts: 9772
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Amman,Jordan

Re: Stockfish 1.4, the final weapon

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:49 pm

mcostalba wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote: You should be happy to work on a program called Glaurung.
And you ? what are you happy of ?

How can I take seriously someone whom targets are far less then clear and trasparent in a matter that is absolutely far away from his business ?

Try to post the reason why you are doing this campaign...so at least we do a big laugh in this, until now, obnoxious afternoon.
Again well said Marco :D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….

User avatar
Dr.Wael Deeb
Posts: 9772
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Amman,Jordan

Re: Stockfish 1.4, the final weapon

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:52 pm

mclane wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:So why does it need a new name?

All that remains is for him to put it on his site, rename it accordingly and then we can all wish you good luck.

We cannot have the Fruity business again.......it's way too much hassle.

Christopher

isn't the decision about the name something that belongs to the programmers who worked on it ?

Or are others allowed to tell the programmers which name they have to give their own program
?
Your logical thinking does not apply to certin persons in our forum....They have their own twisted one....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….

User avatar
Dr.Wael Deeb
Posts: 9772
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Amman,Jordan

Re: Stockfish 1.4, the final weapon

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:55 pm

Christopher Conkie wrote:
mclane wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:So why does it need a new name?

All that remains is for him to put it on his site, rename it accordingly and then we can all wish you good luck.

We cannot have the Fruity business again.......it's way too much hassle.

Christopher

isn't the decision about the name something that belongs to the programmers who worked on it ?

Or are others allowed to tell the programmers which name they have to give their own program ?
Tord did not name Stockfish. It is Glaurung 2.7 here.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks Christopher,you made me laugh....
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….

Christopher Conkie
Posts: 6073
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:34 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Stockfish 1.4, the final weapon

Post by Christopher Conkie » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:56 pm

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
mcostalba wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote: There may yet be hope of a compromise.
A compromise for who ?

There is no need of any compromise among our three because we are already aligned and well focused on what to do and how to do it.

If you mean a compromise with your wishes then I´m sorry for you but your wishes count less then zero to me.

I really don´t understund what is your goal. To divide our 3 ? To try to slow down SF development ? to make our group to split ?

I really don´t understund, but any is your target, is a bad one and, FWIW, is deemed to fail at 100%.

It is better you redirect your envy in someting more positive and useful for everybody... if you are able to do that, but I have big doubts about it.
Music to my ears....thanks Marco :D
Dr.D
Oh my goodness Wael.....

I never knew you were a Discharge fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FztijZpfHFI

Doctor Doctor......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW5kIhcByac

Can I release the PGN's of your books (under another name)?

You tell me........let's go there in public interest.

Last chance.

Christopher

User avatar
Dr.Wael Deeb
Posts: 9772
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Amman,Jordan

Re: Stockfish 1.4, the final weapon

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:00 pm

Christopher Conkie wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
mcostalba wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote: There may yet be hope of a compromise.
A compromise for who ?

There is no need of any compromise among our three because we are already aligned and well focused on what to do and how to do it.

If you mean a compromise with your wishes then I´m sorry for you but your wishes count less then zero to me.

I really don´t understund what is your goal. To divide our 3 ? To try to slow down SF development ? to make our group to split ?

I really don´t understund, but any is your target, is a bad one and, FWIW, is deemed to fail at 100%.

It is better you redirect your envy in someting more positive and useful for everybody... if you are able to do that, but I have big doubts about it.
Music to my ears....thanks Marco :D
Dr.D
Oh my goodness Wael.....

I never knew you were a Discharge fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FztijZpfHFI

Doctor Doctor......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW5kIhcByac

Can I release the PGN's of your books (under another name)?

You tell me........let's go there in public interest.

Last chance.

Christopher
Of course you can,if you give me the credit in the readme file :D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….

Christopher Conkie
Posts: 6073
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:34 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Stockfish 1.4, the final weapon

Post by Christopher Conkie » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:04 pm

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
mcostalba wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote: There may yet be hope of a compromise.
A compromise for who ?

There is no need of any compromise among our three because we are already aligned and well focused on what to do and how to do it.

If you mean a compromise with your wishes then I´m sorry for you but your wishes count less then zero to me.

I really don´t understund what is your goal. To divide our 3 ? To try to slow down SF development ? to make our group to split ?

I really don´t understund, but any is your target, is a bad one and, FWIW, is deemed to fail at 100%.

It is better you redirect your envy in someting more positive and useful for everybody... if you are able to do that, but I have big doubts about it.
Music to my ears....thanks Marco :D
Dr.D
Oh my goodness Wael.....

I never knew you were a Discharge fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FztijZpfHFI

Doctor Doctor......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW5kIhcByac

Can I release the PGN's of your books (under another name)?

You tell me........let's go there in public interest.

Last chance.

Christopher
Of course you can,if you give me the credit in the readme file :D
No....they are mine now.

No more chances.

Trahald
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:26 am
Location: Australia

Re: Stockfish 1.4, the final weapon

Post by Trahald » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:47 am

Thank you for you replies Tord and Marco, I applied the patch to uci.cpp, recompiled and the errors have disappeared. :D
For others who have encountered the same problem, I had been using Jim Ablett's 1.4 compiles.

Re. this whole senseless naming debate, I will say only 1 thing.
FWIW I have always liked the name Glaurung as I am a big fan of Tolkien's writing, however ultimately I do not care what the engine is called as long as the decision belongs to the authors, and them alone. Therefore since Tord has already publicly announced his preference to stick with Stockfish, and it was Marco's choice, I hope it shall stay that way.

I hope the three of you will continue working on improving Stockfish for a long time to come, you have my support. :)

User avatar
AdminX
Posts: 5552
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Acworth, GA
Contact:

Re: Stockfish 1.4, the final weapon

Post by AdminX » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:46 am

I agree Rusell :wink:
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
__________________________________________________________________
Ted Summers

jpqy
Posts: 530
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:31 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Stockfish 1.4, the final weapon

Post by jpqy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:22 am

Me too...we are waiting for Stockfish 1.5 :) and good luck with your team!

swami
Posts: 6546
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:21 am

Re: Stockfish 1.4, the final weapon

Post by swami » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:25 am

Trahald wrote: it was Marco's choice, I hope it shall stay that way.

I hope the three of you will continue working on improving Stockfish for a long time to come, you have my support. :)
I agree. They've got my support as well... the project should continue. :wink:

Post Reply