New idea for a fair Human-Machine battle without handycap

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Laszlo Gaspar

New idea for a fair Human-Machine battle without handycap

Post by Laszlo Gaspar »

Dear chess fellows,

I have an idea which I think should be tried out before we can state with certanity that machines are better than humans.

As far as I know, still all Human-Machine battle was organized so far the same way as a human-human compatition. We expect the GM to calculate all variations in his mind and make the chosen move on the board.
Why is that when a chess engine as its natural operation can make a move and take it back on a board which is real for itself and let it evaluate the upcoming positions...?

My proposal is to let the human use a special computer tool (a GUI or database program or whatever) to be able to analyze his decisions before making the real move on the board.
Certainly no chess engines can be used for help only databases.

This sounds like correspondence play but with tournament time control and without engine help.

I can imagine that special software should be developed for this purpose based on GMs' requirements.

What is your opinion?
Regards,
László
Marek Soszynski

Re: New idea for a fair Human-Machine battle without handyca

Post by Marek Soszynski »

I remember once in a school match seeing my opponent fiddling with something under the table when it was his turn to move. When I challenged him, he produced a pocket set that he'd been analysing on, and said, "Here, you can use it too, and it's not touch move on this set!".
Marek Soszynski
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Great idea !
The software should not reject illegal moves.

My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Bo Persson
Full name: Bo Persson

Post by Bo Persson »

Laszlo Gaspar wrote:Dear chess fellows,

I have an idea which I think should be tried out before we can state with certanity that machines are better than humans.

As far as I know, still all Human-Machine battle was organized so far the same way as a human-human compatition. We expect the GM to calculate all variations in his mind and make the chosen move on the board.
Why is that when a chess engine as its natural operation can make a move and take it back on a board which is real for itself and let it evaluate the upcoming positions...?
What do you mean? The computer has no real board, it is only simulating one in software.

To be really fair, the computer should also be allowed to use a real human brain!
Laszlo Gaspar

Post by Laszlo Gaspar »

Hi Bo,

I meant that the program can make and retract a move in its own "world", in the computer memory and the human should be allowed to do this.
To let it be done on a real board is not sufficient because it is very time consuming and the player can also be confused after long sequences, so not big help.

A special tool can memorize her/him the critical branches so it can be used for fast analysis.

Matthias,

Are you joking or what?:-)
Regards,
László
Leto

Post by Leto »

To some Grandmasters the board they conjure up in their minds can be just as real as the board chess engines conjure up during their calculations.
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Laszlo Gaspar wrote: Matthias,

Are you joking or what?:-)

No joke !!
Many chess players (even GMs) sometimes play illegal moves in their thoughts.
Software should not eliminate such blunders automatically.

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Laszlo Gaspar

Post by Laszlo Gaspar »

Leto wrote:To some Grandmasters the board they conjure up in their minds can be just as real as the board chess engines conjure up during their calculations.
I am very much aware of this!

On the other hand it requires a lot of energy/concentration from them and I can imagine that such help would make them stronger.

Matthias,

Why is it important to let the player commit such a calculation mistake? Or do you think it is just too much help to detect such cases for the player? Well, this is what should be decided, what kind of help to give and what not...
Regards,
László
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Laszlo Gaspar wrote:Dear chess fellows,

My proposal is to let the human use a special computer tool (a GUI or database program or whatever) to be able to analyze his decisions before making the real move on the board.
Certainly no chess engines can be used for help only databases.

This sounds like correspondence play but with tournament time control and without engine help.

I can imagine that special software should be developed for this purpose based on GMs' requirements.

What is your opinion?
My opinion is that humans have no chance with your idea.
What you suggest is not going to make top grandmasters even 100 elo stronger and in the best case they may get level of 2900 elo when rybka is clearly stronger than 3000

Uri
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

What databases? GM's don't have problems with comps in openings, they are actually better there. And there are no middlegame databases, and hard to build in foreseeable future. That's the stage of the game where GM's are much weaker. So, a database is of small importance (I think Kramnik played Fritz with an opening database). You can offer a GM both opening and endgame databases with minimal effect.

Kai