Forum's opinion about Norman Schmidt aka Kranium affair

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

solis

Forum's opinion about Norman Schmidt aka Kranium affair

Post by solis »

I have see that on the new chess engine site the work and engines of Norman Schmidt have been banned for good.Even the sites where his engines were located are now inaccessible for further downloads.
What is the opinion in chess community about this state of affair.
Dann Corbit

Re: Forum's opinion about Norman Schmidt aka Kranium affair

Post by Dann Corbit »

solis wrote:I have see that on the new chess engine site the work and engines of Norman Schmidt have been banned for good.Even the sites where his engines were located are now inaccessible for further downloads.
The poster has been banned for repeated violations of the charter.
Whatever happens to his sites is up to him.

Jack the Ripper and Adolf Hitler can post here as long as they obey the charter. If Mother Teresa or Ghandi were to post here and violate the charter repeatedly, they would be banned.

If this state of affairs is unacceptable to you, then I suggest new moderators. You will either have to wait 6 months or impeach us.
Ryan Benitez

Post by Ryan Benitez »

Dann Corbit wrote:
solis wrote:I have see that on the new chess engine site the work and engines of Norman Schmidt have been banned for good.Even the sites where his engines were located are now inaccessible for further downloads.

Jack the Ripper and Adolf Hitler can post here as long as they obey the charter. If Mother Teresa or Ghandi were to post here and violate the charter repeatedly, they would be banned.

If this state of affairs is unacceptable to you, then I suggest new moderators. You will either have to wait 6 months or impeach us.
Sorry but no impeachment for you. :P
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Forum's opinion is in this thread: http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28788

My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Dann Corbit wrote:

Dann,you will dare to ban Mother Teresa :shock:
I don't think so regrads,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:

Dann,you will dare to ban Mother Teresa :shock:
I don't think so regrads,
Dr.D
It would be pretty astounding if she were to post here:
Mother Teresa (August 26, 1910 – September 5, 1997)

But even at that, if she violates the charter, and ignores warnings, then out she goes.
slobo

Post by slobo »

Hi Miodrag,

I agree with banning Norman from CTF for some time, not exaclty with six months punishment, but I strongly oppose to the banning of this guy´s work and engines "for good". If he really was banned from some place for good it is an arbitrary and cruel sentence.

We should help that guy, not to persecute him without mercy. And he deserves our help because:

1. he is very talented
2. he likes very much computer chess
3. he gave us many engines to play with (I have not tested neither of them only because I had no enough time)

Regards. Slobo
"Well, I´m just a soul whose intentions are good,
Oh Lord, please don´t let me be misunderstood."
solis

Post by solis »

Zdravo Slobodane,
I also agree with you.He has made some engines that are fun to play.
His Cyclone 3.4 .x64 was very good and I was expecting new Cyclone to be released in the middle of July.
Now even his site is unavailable.And that is kind of strange.
If some kind of punishment is appropriate that should be decided on the basis of previous similar cases if they exist but preventing people from using his engines is unfair if he is not getting material reward from them as is the case.And it looks that he has given credit to the original authors.
I think that the talented people should be encouraged to use their talent and produce new chess engines but sometimes with the guidance that the process is within legal limits.

PS: Slobo, zeleo bih da ostanemo u kantaktu .Ako imas vremena ponekad da razmenimo misljene o nekim stvarima. Misha
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

He could have added SMP ability to Popeye for instance and have his name liste among those people working in the project. That would have been usefull at least. Or add SMP ability to Chest. However it seems that the programming abilities don't go beyond replacing names...

I should try doing the same with "War and Peace".. changing some names and places and leaving all the rest the same...I wonder....

Michael
fern

Post by fern »

I see, Dan, you behave strictly by the rules, no matter what. I wonder what would happens if we ever meet toguetjher as I am the opposite.
As the Lord said, the law if for the man, not the man for the Law...

Amen
Fern