My new chess notebook!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

My new chess notebook!

Post by AdminX »

I want to thank the crook who stole my very old Toshiba M65 laptop. Thanks to him and my insurance company I have a check to cover the replacement value of $879.99 USD. That plus my wifes corporate discount on HP products has worked out just fine for me. I will now be getting a new HP Pavilion dv7-2180us laptop for just $237.50 out of pocket cost! It even comes with a free Windows 7 upgrade, even if I plan to dual boot it with linux. All in all not bad for my new chess toy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The funny thing is my hard drive was encrypted, the BIOS has a password on it, and I had the serial number registered on the old Toshiba. So good luck trying to move it! :D
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Re: My new chess notebook!

Post by kgburcham »

The funny thing is my hard drive was encrypted, the BIOS has a password on it, and I had the serial number registered on the old Toshiba. So good luck trying to move it!

There are many known ways to reset / remove / bypass the password:

By removing the CMOS battery
By using the motherboard jumper
By using MS DOS command
By using software
By using Backdoor BIOS password

Hard Drive: just change it out, cheap

serial number----some pawn shops will check
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Actually you can probably still use the hard drive by low level formatting it or setting all to zeros. Lot of utilities out there to do that. Still a laptop feels "old" after a year or two and it is always nice to get a new toy. I have a Sony Vaio with dual core 2Ghz and am looking forward to upgrade that. Maybe when they come out with a good low voltage quadcore.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

kgburcham wrote:The funny thing is my hard drive was encrypted, the BIOS has a password on it, and I had the serial number registered on the old Toshiba. So good luck trying to move it!

By using MS DOS command
By using software

All of which mean nothing to me, Since I am going from a Intel Pentium M 740 / 1.73 GHz laptop to a Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9000 Laptop. :lol:
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Alibaba »

Hi Ted,

so come to playchess.com and play vs my brand new very strong Mchess Setting.....

Waiting for you.....

Greetings from munich
Andi
Herb Goodwin

Post by Herb Goodwin »

Ted Summers wrote:I will now be getting a new HP Pavilion dv7-2180us laptop ...
What is your experience with Deep Rybka maxing out those 4 cores hours-on-end? Specifically, what overheating issues have you encountered.

My laptop's panel went out, so I need a new laptop and would hope to often have it running around-the-clock with all cores all out. Is this HP (or any quad laptop) up to it?
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

AdminX wrote:
kgburcham wrote:The funny thing is my hard drive was encrypted, the BIOS has a password on it, and I had the serial number registered on the old Toshiba. So good luck trying to move it!

By using MS DOS command
By using software

All of which mean nothing to me, Since I am going from a Intel Pentium M 740 / 1.73 GHz laptop to a Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9000 Laptop. :lol:
Some Toshiba's can be convinced to bypass the startup BIOS password if you hold down the <LEFT-SHIFT> key while booting the system.

;)

Not saying yours is one of these of course. If not......

Removal of CMOS battery.....

http://www.laptopka.com/2008/03/24/disa ... 5-laptops/

Or......

You can build a parallel (if it has a parallel port) Loopback plug, this is a simple device that plugs into the parallel port of the machine and removes the password when you boot it up.

To make it you will need a 25 pin DB25 plug, take the plug apart and join these pins using some old cable;
Pins: 1-5-10, 2-11, 3-17, 4-12, 6-16, 7-13, 8-14, 9-15, and 18-25

Plug it into your parallel port and boot up your machine, the password should be removed as soon as it boots.

Here are some nice instructions with pictures.

http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2 ... ptop-bios/

Or......

(And this is easy to do.....) Contact Toshiba as they can remove it for you.

:)

Christopher
bigo

Post by bigo »

AdminX wrote:I want to thank the crook who stole my very old Toshiba M65 laptop. Thanks to him and my insurance company I have a check to cover the replacement value of $879.99 USD. That plus my wifes corporate discount on HP products has worked out just fine for me. I will now be getting a new HP Pavilion dv7-2180us laptop for just $237.50 out of pocket cost! It even comes with a free Windows 7 upgrade, even if I plan to dual boot it with linux. All in all not bad for my new chess toy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The funny thing is my hard drive was encrypted, the BIOS has a password on it, and I had the serial number registered on the old Toshiba. So good luck trying to move it! :D
Hahahaha you're a funny Guy!
Spock

Post by Spock »

Herb Goodwin wrote: My laptop's panel went out, so I need a new laptop and would hope to often have it running around-the-clock with all cores all out. Is this HP (or any quad laptop) up to it?
In my opinion, this is a bad idea. Laptops are just not designed for this. If you really want to do it, get one of those special laptop cooling stands with fans built in that help to cool them down, like the Antec notebook cooler
http://reviews.cnet.com/docks-stands/an ... =mncol;txt

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NzI=
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

wow, did know they had quad laptops now. O_O

sounds like the thief did you a favor alright!