move transposition question

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Fguy64

move transposition question

Post by Fguy64 »

greetings, I am considering various ways to improve the efficiency of my chess engine, such as it is. :)

OK, consider all the possible positions end points of a 3-ply move tree from the standard start of the game.

According to my calculations, 3,540 of those end points are duplicate positions that can be eliminated.

Does this sound right? intuitively it seems a little high to me.
Gerd Isenberg

Re: move transposition question

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Fguy64 wrote:greetings, I am considering various ways to improve the efficiency of my chess engine, such as it is. :)

OK, consider all the possible positions end points of a 3-ply move tree from the standard start of the game.

According to my calculations, 3,540 of those end points are duplicate positions that can be eliminated.

Does this sound right? intuitively it seems a little high to me.
The majority of two white moves may be exchanged after three plies from the initial opening position. Only if white moved twice with the same piece, or moves are dependent (f.i. c4 Nc3, d4 Nd2, e4 Bf1-any), they can't transpose. If all white moves would be exchangeable, the number of transpositions would be perft(3)/2. Since perft 3 == 8,902, your 3,540 that is ~40% sounds very reasonable, but I don't have my hash-perft handy to exactly confirm that number.
Fguy64

Post by Fguy64 »

noted. thanks.
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Fguy64 wrote:noted. thanks.
Oups, "if white moved twice with the same piece" is even wrong. Any two white knight moves back and forth (Nc(a)3 any Nb1, Nf(h)3 any Ng1) would also result in transpositions.
Fguy64

Post by Fguy64 »

Gerd Isenberg wrote:
Oups, "if white moved twice with the same piece" is even wrong. Any two white knight moves back and forth (Nc(a)3 any Nb1, Nf(h)3 any Ng1) would also result in transpositions.
Not as far as I can see, at 3-ply, how can two moves back and forth with the same piece result in transposition If the opponent has only moved once, then we can't possible be back to the original position. So I think you were right the first time. Right?
Zach Wegner

Post by Zach Wegner »

Fguy64 wrote:
Gerd Isenberg wrote:
Not as far as I can see, at 3-ply, how can two moves back and forth with the same piece result in transposition If the opponent has only moved once, then we can't possible be back to the original position. So I think you were right the first time. Right?
There's still transpositions. For each black move there are four different white moves that can be executed and retracted on plies 1 and 3.

Example:
1. Nf3 e5 2. Ng1
1. Nh3 e5 2. Ng1
...result in the same position.
Fguy64

Post by Fguy64 »

Zach Wegner wrote:
Fguy64 wrote:
Gerd Isenberg wrote:
There's still transpositions. For each black move there are four different white moves that can be executed and retracted on plies 1 and 3.

Example:
1. Nf3 e5 2. Ng1
1. Nh3 e5 2. Ng1
...result in the same position.
ah yes, now I see. Of course, you are correct. I misunderstood the previous remark.
elpapa
Full name: Patrik Karlsson

Post by elpapa »

Number of possible chess games at the end of the n-th plie:
1, 20, 400, 8902, 197281, 4865609, 119060324, 3195901860

Number of possible chess diagrams after n plies:
1, 20, 400, 5362, 71852, 815677, 9260610, 94305342

Source:
http://www.research.att.com/~njas/seque ... html#chess

At ply 3 the difference is *drumroll* 3,540!