Personal Supercomputer

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

pavel

Personal Supercomputer

Post by pavel »

Any Chess engine can take advantage of one of these?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/personal_s ... uting.html
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Re: Personal Supercomputer

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

Same thing as the graphics cards: useless for chess due to weak branch performance that is an order of magnitude worse than PCs.

Calling these supercomputers is a marketing joke.
Spock

Post by Spock »

And even if it was any good, it would be banned from some tournaments
Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

Ray
I really don't think it would be banned. Just look at what is going on today. We have PC's with 4 cores, 8 cores, 16 cores, etc. It seems that the bigger and better they make them the faster they are approved for chess games and competition. Not only that but look at Big Blue and Hyadra both are and were welcomed in tournements.
Bill
pavel

Post by pavel »

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:Same thing as the graphics cards: useless for chess due to weak branch performance that is an order of magnitude worse than PCs.

Calling these supercomputers is a marketing joke.
Oh Crap!

I was seriously hoping to buy one. What will 10k buy me, in terms of hardware, that is actually suitable for chess?
Spock

Post by Spock »

Bill Rogers wrote:Ray
I really don't think it would be banned. Just look at what is going on today. We have PC's with 4 cores, 8 cores, 16 cores, etc. It seems that the bigger and better they make them the faster they are approved for chess games and competition. Not only that but look at Big Blue and Hyadra both are and were welcomed in tournements.
Bill
Computers with more than 8 cores were banned from the WCCC - what more can I say.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Spock wrote:
Bill Rogers wrote:Ray
Bill
Computers with more than 8 cores were banned from the WCCC - what more can I say.
Well you could say a limit was set after consultation and that a ballot has just been held amongst everyone who has participated over the last 5 years. I think that is a total of over 30. I am sure ICGA members, like me, will hear the result of the ballot soon - and so would you if you join.
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

spending 10K on a computer right now is probably a terrible idea, you could get a top-end one for half that or less, tho, it will not be top-end in 6 months or so. now if u wait maybe 1-2 years supposedly we're soon to have 64-core beasts available for purchase.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

yanquis1972 wrote:spending 10K on a computer right now is probably a terrible idea, you could get a top-end one for half that or less, tho, it will not be top-end in 6 months or so. now if u wait maybe 1-2 years supposedly we're soon to have 64-core beasts available for purchase.
Sadly whatever you buy and whenever you buy it there is always something new just around the corner.
gerold

Post by gerold »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
yanquis1972 wrote:spending 10K on a computer right now is probably a terrible idea, you could get a top-end one for half that or less, tho, it will not be top-end in 6 months or so. now if u wait maybe 1-2 years supposedly we're soon to have 64-core beasts available for purchase.
Sadly whatever you buy and whenever you buy it there is always something new just around the corner.
Thanks to progress in computer engineering. :)