Personal Supercomputer

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

yanquis1972

Re: Personal Supercomputer

Post by yanquis1972 »

true, but for instance i lucked out & bought a quad nehalem at a decent time (april) & the desktop tech wont see much development for another few months (though id love to have one of those i7 975s :D)...yet if in 6-8 months you can get 12-16 cores for the price at which you can now get 8, or if in 12 you can get even more, it seems silly to spend mucho dinero on a premium computer right now. just my uninformed opinion tho.

edit - i guess to put what im saying simply is, since the 'last big thing' happened towards the beginning of the year, i think its best to wait till 'the next big thing' happens toward the beginning of next (or whenever) if u want to maximize yr dollar.
pavel

Post by pavel »

yanquis1972 wrote:spending 10K on a computer right now is probably a terrible idea, you could get a top-end one for half that or less, tho, it will not be top-end in 6 months or so. now if u wait maybe 1-2 years supposedly we're soon to have 64-core beasts available for purchase.
as harvery pointed out it will probably never will be the perfect time to by the best system available on the market. I have been looking around and it seems that intel has some chips coming out soon. Maybe I should wait couple of months.
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

well, i believe that also the nehalem EX is coming out soon, maybe this year, so probably for a bit more than the price you would now pay for 8 cores, you can pay for 16 in a few months. :)