Crafty on Chessbase GUI question

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

pavel

Crafty on Chessbase GUI question

Post by pavel »

Two questions:

1) Whats the best way use Crafty on Chessbase GUI without "crippling it". I know about wb2uci (didn't use it yet) but not sure if it cripples crafty's performance anyway, since its not running natively.

2) How to configure crafty to use "aggressive" learning in both "book learning" and "positional learning" via crafty.rc .

Thanks for any help.
pavel

Re: Crafty on Chessbase GUI question

Post by pavel »

Another crafty related question.

Does Crafty positional learning still limits itself to 65536 entries, if so anyway to bypass this limitation?
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

pavel wrote:Two questions:

1) Whats the best way use Crafty on Chessbase GUI without "crippling it". I know about wb2uci (didn't use it yet) but not sure if it cripples crafty's performance anyway, since its not running natively.

2) How to configure crafty to use "aggressive" learning in both "book learning" and "positional learning" via crafty.rc .

Thanks for any help.
Or you can download and use the Chessbase Native version of Crafty 23.00

"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by pavel »

AdminX wrote:
pavel wrote:Two questions:

Thanks for any help.
Or you can download and use the Chessbase Native version of Crafty 23.00

Thanks Ted. I already have it. But the native version doesn't give enough control over the engine (if at all). I am interested in tuning the engine and take advantages of learning features of Crafty.
Spock

Post by Spock »

Is there a particular reason you want to use Chessbase GUI and not something else like Arena that can run it natively ?
pavel

Post by pavel »

Spock wrote:Is there a particular reason you want to use Chessbase GUI and not something else like Arena that can run it natively ?
Most of my commercial engine are Chessbase native and I wanted test crafty with different settings against engines like Fritz11 (which I love). Basically I am looking for a strong (free) engine that can be tuned extensively and has strong positional learning features. Crafty and Spike comes to my mind. The last version of available Spike (1.2) is several years old (I think) and crafty is updated more often.

Can anyone suggest any other strong free engines with the requirements I am looking for?

Thanks.
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

hey ted, thanks but im having trouble clicking the link, is it broken?
pavel

Post by pavel »

yanquis1972 wrote:hey ted, thanks but im having trouble clicking the link, is it broken?
Direct Link: http://www.chessbase.com/download/engin ... ty2300.zip

Download page: http://www.chessbase.com/DOWNLOAD/download2.asp
bob

Post by bob »

pavel wrote:Another crafty related question.

Does Crafty positional learning still limits itself to 65536 entries, if so anyway to bypass this limitation?
Since 23.0 there is no positional learning at all. I found it caused more trouble and confusion than it was worth.

You could edit the learn.c file and change this to something larger.
pavel

Post by pavel »

bob wrote:
pavel wrote:Another crafty related question.

Since 23.0 there is no positional learning at all. I found it caused more trouble and confusion than it was worth.

You could edit the learn.c file and change this to something larger.
That sucks, but thanks for the info though.