I'm in doubt if RobboLito is a clone

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Zach Wegner

Re: I'm in doubt if RobboLito is a clone

Post by Zach Wegner »

Christopher Conkie wrote:I don't speculate. Zach has based a definitive conclusion based on the inconclusive. Even if he were right.......
What goes around comes around...
That does not make it right, to say the above statement. If he really feels that way, the victory of revenge is most often only piric.

Christopher
It's certainly not inconclusive to me. There is no question what took place to me, and several other people.

Vas has made what I would guess is quite a bit of money dishonestly by stealing from open source. Allowing open source to benefit from what he has done is only fair IMO. I suppose two wrongs don't make a right, but one wrong doesn't either.

I think this whole situation would be a bit different if the atmosphere in the community were different. Nobody, minus a very select few, listened to the concerns that were made about Rybka 1. I don't want Vas to quit, I just want everyone to acknowledge what actually happened, Vas included.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Zach Wegner wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:I don't speculate. Zach has based a definitive conclusion based on the inconclusive. Even if he were right.......
That does not make it right, to say the above statement. If he really feels that way, the victory of revenge is most often only piric.

Christopher
It's certainly not inconclusive to me. There is no question what took place to me, and several other people.

Vas has made what I would guess is quite a bit of money dishonestly by stealing from open source. Allowing open source to benefit from what he has done is only fair IMO. I suppose two wrongs don't make a right, but one wrong doesn't either.

I think this whole situation would be a bit different if the atmosphere in the community were different. Nobody, minus a very select few, listened to the concerns that were made about Rybka 1. I don't want Vas to quit, I just want everyone to acknowledge what actually happened, Vas included.
Methinks you go too far! :shock:
Your comments smack more of an anti-Vas crusade rather than an anti-piracy crusade. However I'm picking you'll get away with it because one of the mods at least agrees with you.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Graham Banks wrote:
Zach Wegner wrote:

Christopher

Your comments smack more of an anti-Vas crusade rather than an anti-piracy crusade. However I'm picking you'll get away with it because one of the mods at least agrees with you.
Everyone has the right to express his opinion Graham,including Zach :D
Cheers,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Zach Wegner wrote: Vas has made what I would guess is quite a bit of money dishonestly by stealing from open source. Allowing open source to benefit from what he has done is only fair IMO. I suppose two wrongs don't make a right, but one wrong doesn't either.

Cheers,
Dr.D
Stand by for the sequel to Witchfinder General. :wink:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Zach Wegner wrote:

Christopher

Cheers,
Dr.D
Although back then I was suspicious that Vas broke the GPL or looked that way never reached a Final Verdict and even if he did breach the GPL I wouldn't go as far to say he's dishonest. Crooks are dishonest and the people behind Ippolit are just that.

The damage it seems has already been done.
Terry McCracken
Terry McCracken

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
SzG wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote: It may be illegal to use that software.
AFAIK, it comes without licence so how could it be illegal to use it before crime has been proven?
Vas said that it's a clone of Rybka....period....so bow out and say the holly words as much as you could:

I believe in Vas,I believe in Vas....
I believe a man who puts his name and reputation behind it, yes!

Can the people of Ippolit/Robolit annouce who they are and stand behind it? No they can't. Moreover, this work has been observed by several programmers and know it's stolen intellectual property.

It has no future.
Don't get me wrong Terry,I am not taking any sides here....
In fact Vas is my friend and I've purchased every single piece of software he released....

My irony here is for the fact that I hear the same words again and again whenever something appears around the corner which could threaten Rybka's dominancy in the computer chess scene without any proof at all....

We start a real war here who's right and who's wrong,who's honest and who's a thug and Vas just remains silent....

Even the moderators suffered from this affair and I am totaly supporting them by the way....they have the least guilty of what is happening here....

Then again....Yes,Vas said it was a clone of Rybka....

Kinda of Cliche,don't you think?
That's what makes me nervous about all this event....

Regards,
Dr.D
I understand but it's all bad at this juncture.

If I were Vas I'd remain silent at CCC.

He's already spoken elsewhere and it will only cause a greater sh!t storm if he speaks here.
Terry McCracken
Terry McCracken

Graham Banks wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Zach Wegner wrote: Vas has made what I would guess is quite a bit of money dishonestly by stealing from open source. Allowing open source to benefit from what he has done is only fair IMO. I suppose two wrongs don't make a right, but one wrong doesn't either.

Cheers,
Dr.D
Stand by for the sequel to Witchfinder General. :wink:
:lol:
Terry McCracken
shiv

Post by shiv »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Although back then I was suspicious that Vas broke the GPL or looked that way never reached a Final Verdict and even if he did breach the GPL I wouldn't go as far to say he's dishonest. Crooks are dishonest and the people behind Ippolit are just that.

The damage it seems has already been done.
The problem is that changing your code to not break the GPL is easy if one is willing to spend the time. The ideas in Fruit are not copyrighted, just the implementation.

So all that needs to be done is take code, change the implementation, but keep the same logic in your commercial code. This is not really violating GPL, though ethically there is a gray area. Zach is probably referring to this gray area in Rybka 1's implementation, which is a fair point.

This obviously does not condone the illegal release of reverse engineered code to the public (aka Ippolit style). The potential ethical (but not illegal) transgression is minor compared to the highly illegal reverse engineering of closed source code.
Michel

Post by Michel »

I am very confident that what is published is the preprocessed file, i.e. the output of gcc -E on the original source file (with comments).
Except of course that the source of RobboLito contains many #defines itself.... So it can certainly not be the literal output of the preprocessor.
Zach Wegner

Post by Zach Wegner »

Michel wrote:
I am very confident that what is published is the preprocessed file, i.e. the output of gcc -E on the original source file (with comments).
Except of course that the source of RobboLito contains many #defines itself.... So it can certainly not be the literal output of the preprocessor.
But Ippolit contains zero, except in the header file (IIRC). RobboLito is very much cleaned up from there. The example I posted the other day made it pretty clear to me that it was the output of a preprocessor.