Shitta, Bugga, Tossa, a disgrace to Computer Chess?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Anton

Re: Shitta, Bugga, Tossa, a disgrace to Computer Chess?

Post by Anton »

tmokonen wrote:
Graham Banks wrote: .........who are too ashamed to put their names to them for obvious reasons.
Ashamed? Really? I was under the impression that a certain group of programmers cloned their own engines and assigned them these silly names as a form of protest against widespread cloning and the damage that it has done to their favorite hobby.
So two wrongs make a right? It just strikes me as being very immature.
Anton

Post by Anton »

Christopher Conkie wrote:, Anton was just trying to make a mess here and that really is a disgrace to computer chess.

Christopher
Not at all, hosting chess engines with names like "shitta" etc, shows you are happy distributing clones, yet you are the first one to accuse others of distributing clones, "do as I say, not as I do" should be your motto.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

tmokonen wrote:
Graham Banks wrote: .........who are too ashamed to put their names to them for obvious reasons.
Ashamed? Really? I was under the impression that a certain group of programmers cloned their own engines and assigned them these silly names as a form of protest against widespread cloning and the damage that it has done to their favorite hobby.
There's a difference between silly and offensive. It was in poor taste and I don't blame them for wanting to remain anonymous after the fact (even though anonymity was an essential part of the game at the time). Again, just my opinion and I'm only one person.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Anton wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:, Anton was just trying to make a mess here and that really is a disgrace to computer chess.

Christopher
Not at all, hosting chess engines with names like "shitta" etc, shows you are happy distributing clones, yet you are the first one to accuse others of distributing clones, "do as I say, not as I do" should be your motto.
I'm am very happy distributing these original works. You are right.
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
tmokonen wrote:
Exactly and IIRC Tord is one of these authors....
Dr.D
How can you remember what has never been divulged?
I don't remember exactly but reading the posts regarding this issue back then,I was pretty sure about at least 2 authors that participated in this project....Call it sixth sense,extra ability,whatever you like,but you know that one of these engines with the funny names is Glaurung....
:wink: regards,
Dr.D
I'd get that sixth sense checked if I were you Wael.

;)

Christopher
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
tmokonen wrote:
Exactly and IIRC Tord is one of these authors....
Dr.D
How can you remember what has never been divulged?
I don't remember exactly but reading the posts regarding this issue back then,I was pretty sure about at least 2 authors that participated in this project....Call it sixth sense,extra ability,whatever you like,but you know that one of these engines with the funny names is Glaurung....
:wink: regards,
Dr.D
I'd get that sixth sense checked if I were you Wael.

;)

Christopher
Don't let me dig into it....just don't :P
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

Anton wrote: So two wrongs make a right? It just strikes me as being very immature.
I would venture to say that illegal cloning of copyrighted material is a much greater wrong than giving an original engine a name with a swear word in it. I'm a big boy, I don't let names hurt me.