Rybka 4 just around the corner it seems

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

slobo

Re: Rybka 4 just around the corner it seems

Post by slobo »

Graham Banks wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote: Rybka 3+ is a myth regards,
Dr.D
Maybe not. Perhaps it escaped and got renamed. :wink:
Maybe not. Perhaps it was Vasik who leaked the Rybka´s source code, in order to help computer chess community and shut the mouth to his critics.
:D
"Well, I´m just a soul whose intentions are good,
Oh Lord, please don´t let me be misunderstood."
Edsel Apostol
Full name: Edsel Apostol

Post by Edsel Apostol »

slobo wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Dr.D
Maybe not. Perhaps it was Vasik who leaked the Rybka´s source code, in order to help computer chess community and shut the mouth to his critics.
Just like what I have said, it achieved a lot of things. One of those things is something like sharing his learnings and giving back knowledge to the community from which he has learned a lot when he was just starting. These are just speculations but it might be true, only time will tell.

Actually even with those source code available, one cannot just pick one idea there and implement it in his engine and expect it to work. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Meaning the parts of the engine works well with each other and just taking parts from it and putting it in another engine may not give good results as they are incompatible.
Edsel Apostol
Full name: Edsel Apostol

Post by Edsel Apostol »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Edsel Apostol wrote:
Leto wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Dr.D
This is something that I considered as well. Frustrated by not being able to distribute Rybka 3+ through ChessOK and Chessbase he may have leaked it anonymously.

As for the source code, perhaps he was just tired of having no threatening competition and thought he could anonymously raise the stakes by putting out the R3+ code out there in hopes that a strong competitor would arise, something to give Vas the energy and incentive to improve his engine further.
This makes sense to me. It achieved a lot of things. Besides from the one mentioned in the quoted post, one of those things is that this is a good marketing strategy also.

I also think that this thing may be just another experimental version, a search like that of a tactical engine personality and a stripped down eval or an experimental eval as well. IIRC in one of the interviews the author admitted that he had rewritten the eval a few times after the last public version, these might be one of those eval that was scrapped.
Nope,makes no sense to me....more like Hollywood scenario for a conspiracy film....
It makes no sense for the simple fact that even if he threw a scrapped version of the new rewritten Rybka,it would still harm him as it becomes a starting point for heavy developement by many programmers and I can send you to a site with an author doing exactly this and regardless of his reputation,he is talented and consistant....he apply logik in his work :wink:
Oh God,one thing is for sure....Vasik is probably reading all of this with an ironic smile on his face....or maybe not....who knows :?: :?:
Dr.D
There is already a plethora of very strong engines like Stockfish, Strelka, Cyclone/TOGA that are open source and still only a few programs surpass the venerable Fruit 2.1. Based on this Vas may be confident that there is no one out there talented enough to take advantage of these source code, maybe except the commercial programmers and some amateur ones, and those programmers might have a big enough ego that they will not use the ideas in this source code.

Actually the best way to take advantage of the source code of a very strong engine is to make it as a starting point. Just picking some ideas from there will not guarantee that it will work. Most programmers by the way are not comfortable with the idea of using other people's source code as a starting point. They may borrow ideas but they will implement it their own way..
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Not sure I understand this concept. How is it like getting an extra core for free?

Analyzing with many engines. The original IDeA could only use one engine for the analysis, but the new version can split the analysis between many engines. You can, for instance, use four instances of single core Rybka for the analysis on a quad computer, essentially reducing the multiprocessor overhead to zero. It's like getting one extra core for free compared to running Rybka in 4-CPU mode.

http://www.chesscafe.com/chessok/chessok.htm
“He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious”
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

Edsel Apostol wrote:
slobo wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Dr.D
In that case he could have released older version, not the latest one....

Just like what I have said, it achieved a lot of things. One of those things is something like sharing his learnings and giving back knowledge to the community from which he has learned a lot when he was just starting. These are just speculations but it might be true, only time will tell.

Actually even with those source code available, one cannot just pick one idea there and implement it in his engine and expect it to work. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Meaning the parts of the engine works well with each other and just taking parts from it and putting it in another engine may not give good results as they are incompatible.
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

1. half of 2010 = may be 7 months still!?

Jouni
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Jouni wrote:1. half of 2010 = may be 7 months still!?

Jouni
Seems that the release date has been put off due to what happened with Ippo/Robbo. That should make some people happy.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Alexander Schmidt

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

Graham Banks wrote:That should make some people happy.
Whom?
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Alexander Schmidt wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:That should make some people happy.
Whom?
There are none so blind as those who will not see. :wink:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Graham Banks wrote:
Jouni wrote:1. half of 2010 = may be 7 months still!?

Jouni
Seems that the release date has been put off due to what happened with Ippo/Robbo. That should make some people happy.
Graham,
The guy is going to offer an online rent for Rybka until it's released,and that's in term that you have already purchased Aquarium 2010 for 124 $....this is an unheard phenomena in our community,an unbelievable mechanism for gathering money,it's authentic I have to admit....
Can't you understand yet that Vasik is trying to squeeze every penny he can while he's still the king of the hill :!: :?:
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….