morality and legality of dowloading robbolito

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

What is your opinion about using this chess engine

immoral and illegal
17%
immoral but legal
15%
illegal but moral
1%
legal and moral
46%
dependent if you bought rybka or did not buy rybka
6%
not sure or not one of the options that I suggested
14%

Total votes: 104

F.Huber

Re: morality and legality of dowloading robbolito

Post by F.Huber »

Terry McCracken wrote:
F.Huber wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote: These polls "mostly" reflect the votes of parasites.
FWIW, I voted for last ...
Hi parasite! :mrgreen:
Well I oppose it. And certainly didn't download it. Where does that leave you?
Well, you can count me to the vast majority of parasites which voted no. 4 :wink:
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

F.Huber wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
F.Huber wrote:
Well, you can count me to the vast majority of parasites which voted no. 4 :wink:
Moral shouldn't be in there...ethical is the correct term here. I feel it's unethical.
Terry McCracken
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Terry McCracken wrote:
F.Huber wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
F.Huber wrote:
Moral shouldn't be in there...ethical is the correct term here. I feel it's unethical.
english is not my first language but I think unethical is included in immoral

Uri
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
I agree that the supporters of this cursed engine as I like to name it,will be the most active group of voters....
What I don't understand is why the voters from the other camp are not participating and prefer to keep silence :roll:
Dr.D
For me the Poll is hypocrisy. The same with the Sticky. I dont give the links. But I mention the program so that all could find it. That is hypocrisy.

The main evil in the debates is that it's ignored that the pirates stay anonymous. If they had nothing to fear they could show up. The Poll now leaves aside this clear indication for a dishonest happening.

Look, hundred of messages exist here about the topic that no robber should be prejudiced. But if a single one of them would show up there would no longer be any prejudice at all if you know what I mean. And because the robbers chicken out the honest majority here is not allowed to discriminate robbers? Excuse me? This is not a madhouse here.

Everyone who knows the slightest bit of the robbers is guilty of the situation as we have it now. It's always the same. If you cant locate the main actors the suspicion goes way too far and hurts also potentially innocents. But this is unavoidable.

I would like to point out that also such a poll in all its played naivety would allow to seek judicial advice. It hurts the interests of the sole business that is been affected by the robbery as such.

Look. If my daughter would have been murdered, I wouldnt take it lightely if here in such a forum people wouldhold polls about the interesting question if death by murder is a forcedly so defined bad thing. IMO there is nothing to vote on in a sane sense. Someone steals a car, you make a poll, is it forbidden to drive that car with good feelings? I beg your pardon, isnt this a madhouse? Holding a poll about illegal wrondoing isnt a joke or Free Speech, but a sophisticated form of humiliation. All IMO of course.

Just to correct another mistake. Something cannot be morally ok but unethical, if you know what I mean!
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Steve B wrote:it will be interesting to see how the results pan out here

in the other poll those Members that voted.. voted that providing links to IppoRobbo was OK by a more then 2:1 majority

i am guessing that in this poll the majority will vote that it is not Moral and\or Legal to download Robbo
stated differently..
choice 4 will lose.. or if it does win.. i doubt it will win with a 2:1 majority of the vote

of course these two polls are basically mutually exclusive,although i imagine some could argue that providing links and downloading engines are not exactly the same thing ..which is a bit of a stretch

if i am correct i think perhaps it shows that folks who basically agree with a polls premise will vote in greater numbers then those that dont agree with it

Survey Sez Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,
Good that you didn't make a bet on that....

:wink:
The majority who think this business stinks to high heaven won't vote.

These polls "mostly" reflect the votes of parasites.

It's unfortunate that we can't view who voted and for what, like the Hiarcs Forum. I think more would remain silent if that were the case.

FWIW, I voted for last as the questions were poorly worded imho.
I agree that the supporters of this cursed engine as I like to name it,will be the most active group of voters....
What I don't understand is why the voters from the other camp are not participating and prefer to keep silence :roll:
Dr.D
They think it's a waste of time and does little to nothing to resolve the problem and may feel contributing to it will ligitimise support of wrongful behaviour in computer chess.
Makes sense I guess....thanks....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Terry McCracken

Uri Blass wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
F.Huber wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
F.Huber wrote:
english is not my first language but I think unethical is included in immoral

Uri

There's a fine line in meaning so often people interchange the words but immoral goes deeper, covering evil behaviour and unethical is often less drastic.
Terry McCracken
Terry McCracken

Rolf wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Dr.D
For me the Poll is hypocrisy. The same with the Sticky. I dont give the links. But I mention the program so that all could find it. That is hypocrisy.

The main evil in the debates is that it's ignored that the pirates stay anonymous. If they had nothing to fear they could show up. The Poll now leaves aside this clear indication for a dishonest happening.

Look, hundred of messages exist here about the topic that no robber should be prejudiced. But if a single one of them would show up there would no longer be any prejudice at all if you know what I mean. And because the robbers chicken out the honest majority here is not allowed to discriminate robbers? Excuse me? This is not a madhouse here.

Everyone who knows the slightest bit of the robbers is guilty of the situation as we have it now. It's always the same. If you cant locate the main actors the suspicion goes way too far and hurts also potentially innocents. But this is unavoidable.

I would like to point out that also such a poll in all its played naivety would allow to seek judicial advice. It hurts the interests of the sole business that is been affected by the robbery as such.

Look. If my daughter would have been murdered, I wouldnt take it lightely if here in such a forum people wouldhold polls about the interesting question if death by murder is a forcedly so defined bad thing. IMO there is nothing to vote on in a sane sense. Someone steals a car, you make a poll, is it forbidden to drive that car with good feelings? I beg your pardon, isnt this a madhouse? Holding a poll about illegal wrondoing isnt a joke or Free Speech, but a sophisticated form of humiliation. All IMO of course.

Just to correct another mistake. Something cannot be morally ok but unethical, if you know what I mean!

Don't try to correct my English when you can barely speak it. You barging into threads to make all manner of claims is unethical but I wouldn't call it immoral.
Terry McCracken
bob

Post by bob »

The problem with _all_ of this is that Vas has opened the door, the horse has left the barn, and now it is too late to repair the damage.

1. When the fruit issue came up, he should have responded with factual arguments. He remained silent, which actually spoke _volumes_.

2. When this new program surfaced, he quickly (again) claimed that it was a clone derived from Rybka, just as was done in the Strelka case previously. And when pressured for proof, has remained completely silent, again speaking _volumes_.

One can only exercise the right to remain silent for so long before the silence itself becomes quite revealing. When I claimed a program was a copy of Crafty, I gave chapter and verse as to what was identical so that anyone could look at both programs and see the same things I saw. Had I not produced any supporting evidence, I would hope my statements would have been ignored.

Perhaps the best thing at the present is to simply let this program continue to exist and be tested, with no anti-type comments directed toward it until adequate proof is offered. That's about the only way to partially correct what has become a pretty unfair discussion.
Milton

Post by Milton »

I think "immoral" has some religious connotations. Whereas "ethical" is more about "right or wrong" from a societal, rather than a religious, point of view.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Rolf wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Dr.D

Some points:

1)Today even without mentioning the program name people can easily find it.
You only need to search rybka in google and you will find robbolito in one of the first links.

2)The difference from the case of stealing a car is that people cause no demage to Vas by downloading robbolito unless they decide not to buy rybka because of robbolito(I am not talking about developers of robbolito)

Part of the people who download it buy every version of rybka so they do not cause demage to Vas.

Part of the people who download it are not going to buy rybka even without robbolito so again they do not cause demage to Vas.

The only people who cause demage to Vas are people who do not buy rybka because they downloaded robbolito but you cannot find them because they can say that they did not plan to buy new rybka and you cannot prove that they are lying.

You can say that people who encourage other people to download robbolito cause indirectly demage to Vas and that it is immoral to do it but
This discussion here is not about the question if I do something immoral by discussing the subject(thqat may encourage other people to download robbolito) but if downloading the program without encouraging other people to do it is immoral.

Uri