Frayer's opinion expressed at the Rybka forum....

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dr.Wael Deeb

Frayer's opinion expressed at the Rybka forum....

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

http://www.frayerchess.com/

Well well here you all are. disappointed in your high priest Vasik Rajlich. He stoot on the shoulders of geniuses to develop his program (Rybka), while at the same time jealousy claming any improvements as his personal
intellectual property.
Fat and bloated with success he had no need to fix the bugs in Rybka 3. Keeping you all tagging along like so many puppy dogs trying to be useful to their master.
Now as a clear light of morning comes streaming through the window, only now you see. Greed is the great destroyer of men.
For over 16 months we have been waiting for an update that did not come. Vas made many promises that went unfulfilled. Many of you on this forum contributed to the development of Rybka from its very beginnings. Testing and offering solutions to problems that directly lead to increasing its strenght. We all paid tribute, literally gold from our pockets went into his hands.
The engine chess community put all their eggs in one basket, only to find the entrusted man making deals with his compititors and failing to act upon the consensus of his customers.
My question now is: Shall we stand behind a man we no longer trust to work in our best interests or return to the proven method of scientific development of allowing others to build upon past work.
Should we help protect Vas's profits by yelling "Clone" every time we see a chess engine (RobboLito) that possibly used some of his ideas in its code. Or should we all work together to encourage to build upon his work and continue the advancement of chess programs.
Let us have this debate.

:roll:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Rolf

Re: Frayer's opinion expressed at the Rybka forum....

Post by Rolf »

This fellow has it mentally all wrong. His own obsessions making his view a bit dizzy. I mean Vas isnt crazy at all if he knows that his product is raped that he then doesnt offer "bug repairs" is that a wonder? If the community doesnt exclude jerks who blackmail and steal then it's smart if you take care of your business and begin to open a new chapter. Since strength of such progs is hardware depending it's only logical if you then offer a unit online that combines HW and the best, alwasy made bug-free baby. Frayer guys dont live their own life but are obsessed by watching their own soaps about what they expect artist could possibly do. Truth is Vas is role model and Frayer is nothing new.
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Rolf wrote:This fellow has it mentally all wrong. His own obsessions making his view a bit dizzy. I mean Vas isnt crazy at all if he knows that his product is raped that he then doesnt offer "bug repairs" is that a wonder? If the community doesnt exclude jerks who blackmail and steal then it's smart if you take care of your business and begin to open a new chapter. Since strength of such progs is hardware depending it's only logical if you then offer a unit online that combines HW and the best, alwasy made bug-free baby. Frayer guys dont live their own life but are obsessed by watching their own soaps about what they expect artist could possibly do. Truth is Vas is role model and Frayer is nothing new.
He's right regarding the Rybka 3+ though,the customers of Rybka are highly disappointed as they didn't get the promised bug fix Rybka....this is a ?? move made by the IM Vasik Rajlich....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
mariaclara

Post by mariaclara »

:idea: very interesting :!:

Bring it own Dr. D :!:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:http://www.frayerchess.com/

Well well here you all are. disappointed in your high priest Vasik Rajlich. He stoot on the shoulders of geniuses to develop his program (Rybka), while at the same time jealousy claming any improvements as his personal
intellectual property.
Fat and bloated with success he had no need to fix the bugs in Rybka 3. Keeping you all tagging along like so many puppy dogs trying to be useful to their master.
Now as a clear light of morning comes streaming through the window, only now you see. Greed is the great destroyer of men.
For over 16 months we have been waiting for an update that did not come. Vas made many promises that went unfulfilled. Many of you on this forum contributed to the development of Rybka from its very beginnings. Testing and offering solutions to problems that directly lead to increasing its strenght. We all paid tribute, literally gold from our pockets went into his hands.
The engine chess community put all their eggs in one basket, only to find the entrusted man making deals with his compititors and failing to act upon the consensus of his customers.
My question now is: Shall we stand behind a man we no longer trust to work in our best interests or return to the proven method of scientific development of allowing others to build upon past work.
Should we help protect Vas's profits by yelling "Clone" every time we see a chess engine (RobboLito) that possibly used some of his ideas in its code. Or should we all work together to encourage to build upon his work and continue the advancement of chess programs.
Let us have this debate.

:roll:

................. Mu Shin ..........................
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

How can it be right if nobody could tell what it proves.
jdart

Post by jdart »

I don't agree at all. Rybka is a very considerable achievement and I don't have any reason to disrespect its author. I'm also a satisified customer. The only serious bug I've encountered is related to repetition detection (http://www.rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybka ... ?tid=10772) and that will be fixed in the next release, I would guess.
Last edited by jdart on Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Rolf wrote:How can it be right if nobody could tell what it proves.
Proves what :!: :?:
Rybka 3+ was promised and it will never be released....ask anyone here with the intellect of a first grader if he's happy with this fact...
Vasik Rajlich lied to us,simple as that....
Dr.D
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

What you are insulting is called adaption among smart men.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Rolf wrote:What you are insulting is called adaption among smart men.
If I buy some goods in a shop and they are faulty I am entitled to a replacement or a refund.

In this case the manufacturer said I will fix the problem and then give you a replacement. That was 16 months ago.

I really do not care what Vas does with future products but he promised a fix, to all R3 customers, and this should have been done a long time ago.

I suspect the reason this has not happened is that he has no way of releasing to just customers. CB have done engine updates before but these were for their own engines which had their own protection. Rybka was released as an unprotected UCI engine.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

+1
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."