Do I really need Naum 4?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

S.Taylor

Re: Do I really need Naum 4?

Post by S.Taylor »

tomgdrums wrote:Is there a point where they just overlap each other?

I have tried most of the engines (except Fritz...I have had problems with Chessbase software on my computer).

I always analyze with Shredder 12, Hiarcs 12.1 and Rybka 3. I like to throw a wild card in there as well with either Zappa Mexico II and/or now the New Junior.

Is Naum 4 different enough that it will add to what those engines are coming up with?

Thanks for the help! :)
I think that almost every person who posts here ought to understand this question, and I would even say it might be the main basic question, for which this whole forum exists.
Firstly, there are the tests and rating lists. But there is also more to know about each programs playing strengths and styles, which is worthy of discussion.
It's important for when they do NOT come up with the same move, and how much better or worse those moves are, and in which kinds of positions.
Marek Soszynski

Post by Marek Soszynski »

Do you really need more than one engine?

Felix Kling on the Aquarium forum:
You won't find any top player (Topalov, Anand, Aronian,...) who analyses with 2 engines. I'm pretty sure about it.
Marek Soszynski
Eraserheads

Post by Eraserheads »

tomgdrums wrote:Does Naum 4 give different analysis then Rybka 3 or Shredder 12? Is it worth getting at this point?

Thanks!
There are many ways to appreciate chess engines and programs.

a) You are mainly concerned with strength. In this case, just get Rybka, there is no other commercial engine which is stronger than her.

b) You are mainly concerned with styles and different analysis. In this case, you probably appreciate the beauty of chess itself...and so it would be logical to get engines with varying styles.

a) Get Rybka too for its strength and great instructive style.
b) Get program B for its attacking style
c) Get program C for its positional style
d) Get program D for its well balanced style...and so on...

I still keep Chess System Tal 2. Why? Not because of its strength, but
because it is very fun to play against it. Can't be said about Naum 4...because it beats me before I even begin to enjoy the game.

Naum 4 does give a different analysis. Its style is different from Rybka, and yes it values the two bishops highly. It wins in fine style using the two bishops usually. It is another very solid engine.

Take away Rybka, and Naum 4 will lord over the other engines in strength.

From there you can probably see how Naum 4 will fit into your chess needs.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Eraserheads wrote: Take away Rybka, and Naum 4 will lord over the other engines in strength.
Shredder 12 is around the same strength as Naum, possibly even slightly stronger.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

I did an extensive testing of Naum 4 and you might find the post I did on rybkaforum interesting although I can warn you that it is quite a long post.

http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... 136299;hl=
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

M ANSARI wrote:I did an extensive testing of Naum 4 and you might find the post I did on rybkaforum interesting although I can warn you that it is quite a long post.

Thanks for the link! It was interesting to see how Naum handles the Bishops! I think I will spring for Naum 4!

Oh and do you think it is possible to increase an engine's abilities my tweaking the settings. Over on the Rybka forum there have many posts about some Super Zappa engine that someone create by tweaking the settings.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

tomgdrums wrote:
M ANSARI wrote:I did an extensive testing of Naum 4 and you might find the post I did on rybkaforum interesting although I can warn you that it is quite a long post.

Thanks for the link! It was interesting to see how Naum handles the Bishops! I think I will spring for Naum 4!

Oh and do you think it is possible to increase an engine's abilities my tweaking the settings. Over on the Rybka forum there have many posts about some Super Zappa engine that someone create by tweaking the settings.
Zappa Mexica II XIII....the 4CPU chess engine using my q8.ctg and q8.abk around 60-80 Elo stronger than the default....this after more than 300 games at long time controls....any super fast blitz time controls will not work with these special settings....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Nah I don't need more then one engine but it is fun and can actually lead to some different move choices when analyszng my games.

Deep Junior 2010 came up with a move out of nowhere today when I was doing a post mortem on one of my games. I NEVER would have seen it and none of the other engines recommended it even though they basically agreed with Junior's evaluation. The other engine's suggestion WERE slightly better BUT I think over the board against normal players Junior's suggestion may have packed more wallop because it was much more forcing.
DomLeste

Post by DomLeste »

Its best to pick a engine that suits your style of play. Anyway over the board chess you dont have rybka saving your behind when playing humans ;) So if you learn to shock a few players with some Junior style moves they have to second guess by telling themselves is this legit or a bluff? :lol: The beauty of chess out psyche a human but not a computer that see's all.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

DomLeste wrote:Its best to pick a engine that suits your style of play. Anyway over the board chess you dont have rybka saving your behind when playing humans ;) So if you learn to shock a few players with some Junior style moves they have to second guess by telling themselves is this legit or a bluff? :lol: The beauty of chess out psyche a human but not a computer that see's all.
I totally agree!! :)

Whenever I am analyzing an OTB game of my own after the fact it is cool to have the engines suggest different lines that all look pretty good. I have fun trying to figure out which line I like better and why! One cool thing is that I don't find myself agreeing with any one engine more then the others. (okay I really want to be Junior and play all crazy...:) ), but honestly I have learned a lot from comparing the different lines that they each come up with. Which is why I am going to eventually buckle down and get Naum 4 as well.