7 piece tablebase question

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Uri Blass

7 piece tablebase question

Post by Uri Blass »

I need the KRBN vs KRB tablebases with boshops of opposite color to help me to analyze one of my correspondence games(a position of KRBN vs KRB happened during the analysis).

My question is if there is a way to get it.

Uri
Dann Corbit

Re: 7 piece tablebase question

Post by Dann Corbit »

Uri Blass wrote:I need the KRBN vs KRB tablebases with boshops of opposite color to help me to analyze one of my correspondence games(a position of KRBN vs KRB happened during the analysis).

My question is if there is a way to get it.

Uri
Here is a mention of such a file set (168 GB for KRBNKRB):
http://www.xs4all.nl/~timkr/chess2/diary_15.htm

I guess it will be much simpler if you can find someone who has it, give them the position, and get back the solution.

I guess that there are perhaps 3 such file sets in the world.

In the Rybka forum, I know that Victor Zakharov has mentioned availability of supercomputer resources to compute tablebase file sets. He might be someone to ask about it.
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

If you have Rybka 3 from CB, much easier would be to setup the position and do an overnight MC analysis. If you don't, post the position and I will see if I can run it overnight.

I would also check out the Shredder site as they seem to have an EGTB you can check which is full 6 pieces and some 7 pieces, so it might be there.
Edmund

Post by Edmund »

There are no public sources for any 7men at the time being. (So ansari's claim concerning the shredder page is just wrong)

The only efforts to generate 7men (to my knowledge) were done by Marc Bourzutschky and Yakov Konoval. Some of their greatest achievements are published on the link Dann Corbit provided. But I haven't heared of any news recently and they never published anything but statistics and example games.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I would suspect that most of the tablebase "wins" (that could not be solved by the top computers) would actually be draws due to the 50-move rule.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

The relevant position is something that may happen at move 49 of black and today it is move 34 of black.

I am white
I played 34.h6 and after some possible line we can get
the following position later in the game
[D]8/7B/4k2b/8/6R1/r7/5N2/3K4 b - - 0 49

I am afraid that knowledge of the result of one position is not enough because the line is not forced and it is possible that we are going to get a different KRBN vs KRB position.

I remember that I read in one chess book a claim that having opposite color bishops is an advantage for the stronger side in KRBN vs KRB and I wonder if it is correct.

I wonder if there is some statistcal table about the length of mates in KRBN vs KRB when the bishops are opposite color bishops.

Uri
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

http://generatorchess.qsh.ru/Default.aspx
If someone has enough space to generate 7 men tbs, please go ahead... :lol: :lol:
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Uri Blass wrote:The relevant position is something that may happen at move 49 of black and today it is move 34 of black.

I am white

I am afraid that knowledge of the result of one position is not enough because the line is not forced and it is possible that we are going to get a different KRBN vs KRB position.

I remember that I read in one chess book a claim that having opposite color bishops is an advantage for the stronger side in KRBN vs KRB and I wonder if it is correct.

I wonder if there is some statistcal table about the length of mates in KRBN vs KRB when the bishops are opposite color bishops.

Uri
If your opponent plays carefully,this is a dead draw....he must find a way to swap the pieces and he's more than good....
Trying to win here is difficult to say the least...
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Damir wrote:http://generatorchess.qsh.ru/Default.aspx
If someone has enough space to generate 7 men tbs, please go ahead... :lol: :lol:
How much RAM do people need for the KRBN vs KRB tablebases with this program and how much time do they need for it?

Is it possible to generate only one file for opposite color bishops that may be faster or maybe this program does not allow it?

Uri
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:The relevant position is something that may happen at move 49 of black and today it is move 34 of black.

I am white

Uri
If your opponent plays carefully,this is a dead draw....he must find a way to swap the pieces and he's more than good....
Trying to win here is difficult to say the least...
Dr.D
I am not sure about it and usually more pieces are better for the stronger side and the weaker side has no way to force the stronger side to trade pieces.

Uri