What does tactical factor setting mean in Ktulu 9

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

tomgdrums

What does tactical factor setting mean in Ktulu 9

Post by tomgdrums »

My interest in Ktulu has been resparked as I have found out is a really good at endgames. I was trying to tweak the settings and there really aren't any except for: tactical factor. The default is 30----30 what I don't know? I am assuming that if I set this higher the engine will look perform better tactically? Is that correct?

Thanks!
Graham Banks

Re: What does tactical factor setting mean in Ktulu 9

Post by Graham Banks »

tomgdrums wrote:My interest in Ktulu has been resparked as I have found out is a really good at endgames. I was trying to tweak the settings and there really aren't any except for: tactical factor. The default is 30----30 what I don't know? I am assuming that if I set this higher the engine will look perform better tactically? Is that correct?

Thanks!
Sounds likely. You should experiment to find out.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
hokaro

Post by hokaro »

Ktulu has a very tactical and aggressive style of play. you have to play long games with it to find out its real power...I was operating Ktulu in WOL, and it played very strongly, got place 5 at the end (as far as I remember, Klaus can correct me if I am wrong)...
I was using tactical factor 20 in that tournament...I have even played a lot with tactical factor 0, and it turns out to be strong also...
I don't think the default tactical factor is the strongest for Ktulu, but it seems that Rahman doesn't agree with me as I discussed this with him and he persists to have 30 as the default number...

a good way to find out is to test different numbers with the same line of book in longer games than 20 min at least, and see which one takes the first place of a good number of rounds...
Shompete Cholmange Katakalla
DomLeste

Post by DomLeste »

Interesting need to test this out :) What kind of style does ktulu have mainly tactical you say?

Eddie for blitz tactical factor at 0 would also be strong as well?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

hokaro wrote:Ktulu has a very tactical and aggressive style of play. you have to play long games with it to find out its real power...I was operating Ktulu in WOL, and it played very strongly, got place 5 at the end (as far as I remember, Klaus can correct me if I am wrong)...
I was using tactical factor 20 in that tournament...I have even played a lot with tactical factor 0, and it turns out to be strong also...
I don't think the default tactical factor is the strongest for Ktulu, but it seems that Rahman doesn't agree with me as I discussed this with him and he persists to have 30 as the default number...

a good way to find out is to test different numbers with the same line of book in longer games than 20 min at least, and see which one takes the first place of a good number of rounds...
Hey Eddie,

Thanks for the info!! I guess the only thing I want to make sure of is that the higher the number for tactical factor then the more tactical it will play? IE: Tactical factor 50 is more tactical then tactical factor 30 etc. etc.

Thanks again for the reply.
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi,

the larger the number, the better tactical strength Ktulu will have. I never test it, perhaps the other main tester Jan Kiwitter. I don't know, perhaps Jan is member here. I think you should no changes this parameter. Perhaps you have interest to try it out and you can later send a little review about it. This would be very interesting !!

Its true, Ktulu need more time for a better playing strength. The only problem Ktulu have is the king safty. But you will see wonderful games, I am sure.

Best
Frank
DomLeste

Post by DomLeste »

Someone has to compare the STS test suite for default Klutu 9 and Klutu 9 with tactical factor at Zero. To get some idea if better or worse with lower tactical factor.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

DomLeste wrote:Someone has to compare the STS test suite for default Klutu 9 and Klutu 9 with tactical factor at Zero. To get some idea if better or worse with lower tactical factor.
I don't have the test suite but I am doing a little experiment with Ktulu 9 that I am hoping will shed a little light on the tactical factor and it's effects on the ktulu engine. It will be a bit unscientific but I am a musician. :)

I am going to post the first part of this later tonight.
swami

Post by swami »

DomLeste wrote:Someone has to compare the STS test suite for default Klutu 9 and Klutu 9 with tactical factor at Zero. To get some idea if better or worse with lower tactical factor.
Yeah, I hope someone can post the results of the engine on this :)

But STS tests only the strategical/positional knowledge of the engine, hardly any tactics. STS consists all kinds of themed positional mastery.
hokaro

Post by hokaro »

as Frank puts it, the higher the factor numbers is, more tactical and aggressive Ktulu gets...the less the number is, the more cautious Ktulu gets...so for longer game controls I recommend lower tactical factor...for short time controls I guess the default number is fine...

regards
Hoshad
Shompete Cholmange Katakalla