And now, for the criminally insane:

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Dann Corbit
Posts: 10297
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Redmond, WA USA
Contact:

And now, for the criminally insane:

Post by Dann Corbit » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:18 pm

Well over 100 million FICS chess games, carefully filtered for dups, in SCID format, and compressed with bzip2:
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_1999.sg3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_1999.si3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_1999.sn3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2000.sg3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2000.si3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2000.sn3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2001.sg3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2001.si3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2001.sn3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2002.sg3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2002.si3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2002.sn3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2003.sg3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2003.si3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2003.sn3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2004.sg3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2004.si3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2004.sn3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2005.sg3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2005.si3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2005.sn3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2006.sg3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2006.si3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2006.sn3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2007.sg3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2007.si3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2007.sn3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2008a.sg3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2008a.si3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2008a.sn3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2008b.sg3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2008b.si3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2008b.sn3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2009a.sg3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2009a.si3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2009a.sn3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2009b.sg3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2009b.si3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_2009b.sn3.bz2

For those with some slight measure of sanity, here are 1.4 million FICS games which have been filtered for both players with an Elo of 2000 or above:
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_elo2000.sg3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_elo2000.si3.bz2
http://cap.connx.com/scid/fics_elo2000.sn3.bz2

User avatar
Rolf
Posts: 6081
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:14 pm
Location: Munster, Nuremberg, Princeton

Re: And now, for the criminally insane:

Post by Rolf » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:23 pm

I will have to consult my lawyer, because it cannot be allowed that you again want to occupy my holidays. Ok, you argue I wouldnt need these games, but how do you know if I'm addicted to game collections? :evil:
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz

User avatar
beachknight
Posts: 3533
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:33 pm
Location: Antalya, Turkey
Contact:

Re: And now, for the criminally insane:

Post by beachknight » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:05 pm

Well done, Dann.

A bigger thank you.

Best,
hi, merhaba, hallo HT

playjunior
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:53 pm

Re: And now, for the criminally insane:

Post by playjunior » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:10 pm

Btw, anyone knows any data mining projects with chess? I mean not endgame tablebase mining but something that could be done on such game-databases?

Dann Corbit
Posts: 10297
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Redmond, WA USA
Contact:

Re: And now, for the criminally insane:

Post by Dann Corbit » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:54 pm

playjunior wrote:Btw, anyone knows any data mining projects with chess? I mean not endgame tablebase mining but something that could be done on such game-databases?
The usefulness might be less than you think.

All of the games are rated games, but...
The vast majority of the games will be things like:

White: MightySnail Elo 1475
Black: FobbleSnoof Elo 1613

Dann Corbit
Posts: 10297
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Redmond, WA USA
Contact:

Re: And now, for the criminally insane:

Post by Dann Corbit » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:19 am

I should mention:
These games were originally collected by Marcel van Kervinck and the collection has been placed into the public domain.

User avatar
Matthias Gemuh
Posts: 3238
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:10 am
Contact:

Re: And now, for the criminally insane:

Post by Matthias Gemuh » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:14 am

Dann Corbit wrote:
All of the games are rated games, but...
The vast majority of the games will be things like:

White: MightySnail Elo 1475
Black: FobbleSnoof Elo 1613
Thanks, Dann.
I have always wanted to lay my hands on the games of MightySnail and FobbleSnoof !

.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de

lmader
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:20 am
Location: Sonora, Mexico

Re: And now, for the criminally insane:

Post by lmader » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:31 am

Ahh, FobbleSnoof. She's the best.
"The foundation of morality is to have done, once for all, with lying; to give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibilities of knowledge." - T. H. Huxley

playjunior
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:53 pm

Re: And now, for the criminally insane:

Post by playjunior » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:02 am

Dann Corbit wrote:
playjunior wrote:Btw, anyone knows any data mining projects with chess? I mean not endgame tablebase mining but something that could be done on such game-databases?
The usefulness might be less than you think.

All of the games are rated games, but...
The vast majority of the games will be things like:

White: MightySnail Elo 1475
Black: FobbleSnoof Elo 1613
Imagine mining data and finding that, say, for lower rated players Knight > Bishop or that two bishops do not value as much as for higher rated players. Wouldn't this be interesting?

kasinp
Posts: 195
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:47 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: And now, for the criminally insane:

Post by kasinp » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:03 pm

playjunior wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
playjunior wrote:Btw, anyone knows any data mining projects with chess? I mean not endgame tablebase mining but something that could be done on such game-databases?
The usefulness might be less than you think.

All of the games are rated games, but...
The vast majority of the games will be things like:

White: MightySnail Elo 1475
Black: FobbleSnoof Elo 1613
Imagine mining data and finding that, say, for lower rated players Knight > Bishop or that two bishops do not value as much as for higher rated players. Wouldn't this be interesting?
I have always suspected that players below 1400 ELO underestimate the chronic weakness of the dark squares in the Winawer variation of the French. A conclusive study is now finally possible. :)

PK

Post Reply