Rental Rybka what do Others think?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Rental Rybka what do Others think?

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Kurt Utzinger wrote:
bigo wrote:I think this rental Rybka scheme is pure crap. I will no longer buy or support Rybka, especially now that the free stockfish is out. I am no longer in the words of Dr. Deeb a rybka fan boy, I feel betrayed by the Rybka team. The ideal that I have to have n internet connection to use the best rybka and actually have to rent time for astronomical prices, that broke the camels back for me I'm done. :evil:
I do not [yet] feel betrayed by the Rybka team. I paid for what I have got. But if a rental Rybka comes out - stronger than Rybka 4 - I would neither buy Rybka 4 nor pay for a rental Rybka.
Kurt
Logical to say the least....why to pay for a dumped Rybka at home and pay big bucks to rent one over the net :!: :?:
BTW,I assume that maybe 80% of computer chess users will think the same way as you do....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Alexander Schmidt

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

michiguel wrote:This rental rybka will combine both. You may be able to access Rybka running on a good hardware from your phone. Hard to say, but I am not willing to bet against this idea...
It makes sence to run an engine on a server if you access it with a low hardware like a phone. This is already possible with Shredder mobile btw.

For some it will make sense to analyse corespondence chess games... In future some will just pay for a victory...

For people like us, playing, testing engines, analysing games it does not make sense. If you have a >3000 ELO engine on your PC, you will hardly find a difference to a ELO 3500 Programm...
Alexander Schmidt

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

Graham Banks wrote:I wouldn't bother paying for the rental system.
And what would you do with it?

Best,
Alex
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Alexander Schmidt wrote:

Best,
Alex
Exactly. It's not my interest. My main interest is in using my own computers for engine v engine testing.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Graham Banks wrote:
Alexander Schmidt wrote:

Best,
Alex
Exactly. It's not my interest. My main interest is in using my own computers for engine v engine testing.
It will be a real problem for the testers - how will we get a true rating for the rental model?
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Alexander Schmidt wrote:

Best,
Alex
It will be a real problem for the testers - how will we get a true rating for the rental model?
We won't is my guess.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

bigo wrote:I think this rental Rybka scheme is pure crap. I will no longer buy or support Rybka, especially now that the free stockfish is out. I am no longer in the words of Dr. Deeb a rybka fan boy, I feel betrayed by the Rybka team. The ideal that I have to have n internet connection to use the best rybka and actually have to rent time for astronomical prices, that broke the camels back for me I'm done. :evil:
What do _I_ think?
Well, obviously, as I already said, It may devalue greatly, both the online and the personal Rybka, and I probably would do neither, and would feel disappointed.
But all within reason. If Rybka 4 is atleast 150 elo above Rybka 3, then I would get Rybka 4 even if there is an online version. But the online verwsion I would use, only if it is at the very least, but preferably well over 250 more than that Rybka 4 = 400 elo above Rybka 3.
Otherwise I would not be interesed in either.But if it is only Rybka, but not online version, then I would be happy and excited, even with 100 elo increase over Rybka 3. And if not for the recent competition, I would have have been happy with well under that too.

But anyway..... what IS good about an online version? It would be 100% interesting if I would know that there is hardly any combination, however deep and complicated, or positional improvement that is correct, which it would not see.

I am not at all interested in merely something a little better than what I have, or deserve to have at home. Nothing less than 400 elo more than the best of 2010 home chess engines.

Indeed, If I knew in 1997 that I could sit down with Deep Blue, I would have happily paid to borrow it. Now, it is not the same. Home engines beat any human player in a match, and more justifiably than they sometimes did then. But only if it is 400 elo above the tops, then I would estimate that as authoritative about any chess idea, and it might have an aura like deep Blue in 1997.

Also, this is the only justification for the fact that Vas is putting so much energy into it, instead of the personal version. I could then forgive it.
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Deep Blue is not a good example as even Rybka 1 on a dual core would probably crush it. The software used was simply too weak by today's standards and DB probably played about 200 ELO better than the strongest software-hardware combination of a desktop at the time. That would still be well below 64bit Rybka 1 on a dual core.

With regards to strength, I think the best online version would be around 250 ELO stronger ... but it would cost you about 100 Euros an hour ... not something an amateur would think would be interesting except to try out of curiosity. The version which would be around 50 ELO stronger would be about .5 euros an hour or 750 euros for the entire year to use as wished. Either way I am not interested in such a thing as simply the logistics of paying for R4 will not be attractive to me. I much prefer to have my program at home where I can move it around in machines, re-install it and not have to worry about the stability of my internet connection (which is very poor where I am). I would of course buy the latest R4 stand alone and I think that is where my interests stays. If a hardware version of R4 comes out that might also be interesting to me, so long it can trump my best exotic hardware.

It does seem that Vas is going to concentrate more on the professional chess market. Professional chess players who travel a lot and can't take their desktops with them when they travel might feel the rental Rybka is a good option. For most that are here on these forums that is simply not an application that they want.
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

Alexander Schmidt wrote:
michiguel wrote:This rental rybka will combine both. You may be able to access Rybka running on a good hardware from your phone. Hard to say, but I am not willing to bet against this idea...
It makes sence to run an engine on a server if you access it with a low hardware like a phone. This is already possible with Shredder mobile btw.

For some it will make sense to analyse corespondence chess games... In future some will just pay for a victory...

For people like us, playing, testing engines, analysing games it does not make sense. If you have a >3000 ELO engine on your PC, you will hardly find a difference to a ELO 3500 Programm...
"People like us" are a minority, I think.

Miguel
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

M ANSARI wrote: It does seem that Vas is going to concentrate more on the professional chess market. Professional chess players who travel a lot and can't take their desktops with them when they travel might feel the rental Rybka is a good option. For most that are here on these forums that is simply not an application that they want.
Have these guys never heard of Remote Desktop?