End Game Grief

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Nimzovik

End Game Grief

Post by Nimzovik »

Awwwwwwwright :!: Yes I know endgame tables exist, however after watching several top engines act like buffoons I am inexorably being drawn to the conclusion that we need not another Rybka or Hiarcs, rather an engine designed strictly for the endgame :!: Yes! Include a 500 man EGTB! Yes include all the chess 'knowledge' that is available! Who can possibly perfect one's openings without great endgame :?: :cry: :cry: That aside does anyone KNOW which top engine plays the best endgame currently? Thanks for any input in advance.
DomLeste

Re: End Game Grief

Post by DomLeste »

Probably Stockfish and Ktulu are great at squeezing a win from drawn endgame position just like the great Jose Capablanca. They dont use endgame tables :) Look for the PET endgame suite or EET suite to compare engines in the endgame.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

Check out Freezer on the Shredder website.
http://www.shredderchess.com/

It is designed specifically for endgames beyond the EGTB domain.
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

Thanks.
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

Also note that I would like to have my own copy of said endgame engine so that like the proposed Rybka scenario I do not get charged rent everytime I use it! I just looked at freezer .....looks interesting. Anyone have any input on it's effectivenesss?
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Nimzovik wrote:Also note that I would like to have my own copy of said endgame engine so that like the proposed Rybka scenario I do not get charged rent everytime I use it! I just looked at freezer .....looks interesting. Anyone have any input on it's effectivenesss?
I thought about buying it but you still need Tablebases. At least that was the way I understood it.

The Shredder GUI has something called the Endgame ORacle but that also needs Tablebases.
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

Yah ....seems convoluted to me..... A little more clarity of the add would be appreciated. I just wanna plug it in and let it go.
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

Nimzovik wrote:Yah ....seems convoluted to me..... A little more clarity of the add would be appreciated. I just wanna plug it in and let it go.
Just email their tech support your question. I have done that before. They answer me in 2 days or less.