The great disappearing act : Toby Chess

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

El Gringo

The great disappearing act : Toby Chess

Post by El Gringo »

Hi All,

www.tobychess.com seems to be gone from earth ?!?

i've got this message :
This Account Has Been Suspended

Please contact the billing/support department as soon as possible.

Thank You

InVision Support

very weird.... :shock:
maybe they got to many orders from Robbo-fans ???

Best
Johan
gerold

Re: The great disappearing act : Toby Chess

Post by gerold »

El Gringo wrote:Hi All,

www.tobychess.com seems to be gone from earth ?!?

i've got this message :
This Account Has Been Suspended

Please contact the billing/support department as soon as possible.

Thank You

InVision Support

very weird.... :shock:
maybe they got to many orders from Robbo-fans ???

Best
Johan
Strange indeed. Maybe they took the money and ran. :)
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

They sold two copies so far via Ebay, same number as yesterday. Likely Vas would want one, maybe he is one of the clients?

This is on their E-Bay page. I am not registered so can't read the full answers. But apparently there are several programmers that have to remain anonymous "for several reasons" and they were hired by Mr. Tobiason.

Q: Ok so you hired "several programmers" who are anonymous for now, and in the past month they were able to produce a chess engine (single cpu) that has a higher elo than Rybka multi-cpu?
A: Yes. I just got an update from them to test that plays more positionally and it is beating Robbolito 2-4-0 as we speak (1m1s time controls). Our rating is +60-90 vs Ryka 3 on one cpu each. On monday I will receive another... Continue reading
Jan 07, 2010

Q: Hello, You mention a pgn file of games on your main website. I cannot find it there. Could you provide me with the link please. Thx
A: I can send the games if you e-mail me at tim@tobychess.com. My web guy has not gotten to it yet. Toby
Jan 07, 2010

Q: You mention a collection of games done by the chess engine stored as pgn which can be found on your website. Sorry, but I can't find them on your site, can you help me out ?! Where can I find them ? Greetings, Thomas
A: My web guy has not gotten to it yet. I will send the games if you e-mail me at tim@tobychess.com. Enjoy, Toby
Jan 07, 2010
Q: can you tell me about the engine toby tal: who wrote this engine ? you claim it would beat rybka3. which hardware and time control you used ? i would like to buy but first need to know a little about it. i have robbolito... Continue reading
A: The programmers are a secret for several reasons. I am the one who hired them. The games I can send you were run on a AMD machine at 1m, 5m, and 1 hour times. Intel results by others were better. We optomized it vs Robbolito... Continue reading
Jan 07, 2010
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
sockmonkey

Post by sockmonkey »

Eelco de Groot wrote:They sold two copies so far via Ebay, same number as yesterday. Likely Vas would want one, maybe he is one of the clients?

This is on their E-Bay page. I am not registered so can't read the full answers. But apparently there are several programmers that have to remain anonymous "for various reasons" and they were hired by Mr. Tobiason.
Here's the complete text:
Question & Answer

Q: Ok so you hired "several programmers" who are anonymous for now, and in the past month they were able to produce a chess engine (single cpu) that has a higher elo than Rybka multi-cpu?

A: Yes. I just got an update from them to test that plays more positionally and it is beating Robbolito 2-4-0 as we speak (1m1s time controls). Our rating is +60-90 vs Ryka 3 on one cpu each. On monday I will receive another test version with new endgame capabilities. If it is a big boost we will put that one out with our winxp update. A manhatten project physicist who played chess with Openheimer, Fermi, etc actually helped me pay for the engine development and he doesnt even own a oomputer. His name is Dan Mayer. He is 89 years old, plays master level chess and has quite a story himself. The actual program took about 9 weeks to write, is about 120K in size making it 1/20th the size of Rybka and uses many new ideas. Over time we may reveal more. Toby

Q: Hello, You mention a pgn file of games on your main website. I cannot find it there. Could you provide me with the link please. Thx

A: I can send the games if you e-mail me at tim@tobychess.com. My web guy has not gotten to it yet. Toby

Q: You mention a collection of games done by the chess engine stored as pgn which can be found on your website. Sorry, but I can't find them on your site, can you help me out ?! Where can I find them ? Greetings, Thomas

A: My web guy has not gotten to it yet. I will send the games if you e-mail me at tim@tobychess.com. Enjoy, Toby

Q: can you tell me about the engine toby tal: who wrote this engine ? you claim it would beat rybka3. which hardware and time control you used ? i would like to buy but first need to know a little about it. i have robbolito and iggorrit for free and don't want to buy the same programs as engines toby-tal only renamed. thanks thorsten czub

A: The programmers are a secret for several reasons. I am the one who hired them. The games I can send you were run on a AMD machine at 1m, 5m, and 1 hour times. Intel results by others were better. We optomized it vs Robbolito and our style of play is very different. I can send you the games if you e-mail me at tim@tobychess.com
alpha123

Post by alpha123 »

Ok so you hired "several programmers" who are anonymous for now,
:shock:

This is just too funny.....Or maybe kinda scary.....

We are having a revolution, but is it legal?! Someone should ask him why so many of TobyTal's moves are those of Robbolito 0.085d2.....Especially if it was optimized against Robbolito......

Peter
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Obviously it was a hit and run procedure and they quit when the real matter was exposed....a scary issue indeed....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
sockmonkey

Post by sockmonkey »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Obviously it was a hit and run procedure and they quit when the real matter was exposed....a scary issue indeed....
Dr.D
Maybe they suddenly had a big leap in traffic and had a bandwidth overage. Sounds like they've been in business longer than a couple of weeks, so let's see what happens.

Jeremy
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

sockmonkey wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Obviously it was a hit and run procedure and they quit when the real matter was exposed....a scary issue indeed....
Dr.D
Maybe they suddenly had a big leap in traffic and had a bandwidth overage. Sounds like they've been in business longer than a couple of weeks, so let's see what happens.

Jeremy
I was playing conspiracy theories btw when I posted this....I hope I'm wrong....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
sockmonkey wrote:
Dr.D

Jeremy
I was playing conspiracy theories btw when I posted this....I hope I'm wrong....
Dr.D
Seems the site is back up
Steve
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Steve B wrote: Seems the site is back up
Steve
Can't see any sign of the Toby-Tal chess engine there any more, unless I've missed something?
gbanksnz at gmail.com